Post by voludu2
Sorry -- my earlier post had a typo. I meant philadelphia water department. That's the same thing as the PGW interactive map?

I really wonder why PGW hasn't moved to the new philly maps along with all the other departments. Is PGW still for sale?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I think it would be appropriate to add that to the wiki page.
Is one or the other (PWD / PGW ) preferable, or do both belong on that page?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I added an item to mapping resources.
PGW gas main work sites map.
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/in ... did=162172
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I made a change to the "Area Managers" section of the Pennsylvania Wiki Page.
I removed the view of and link to the obsolete "new editors contact" spreadsheet we used to use, and replaced it with a ilnk to the new form and sheet that we currently use. I also added this information in the "communication" section.

My apologies to everyone for not doing the removal and the addition at the same time.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Done. And only one column of comments shows in the published information.
Any "for SM eyes only" comments are safely kept to SM and up.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
That's what the state page should say, and if this is not 100% clear, please highlight the section so we can clarify it.

Thanks

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Pe ... towns/Main
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I'd like to suggest an addition to the page, to address Alleys in Philadelphia.

How to recognize and map alleys in Philadelphia.
"alley" in Philadelphia means a road which is not suitable for Waze through-routing for any of the selectable vehicle types supported by waze. Alleys are generally more narrow than "regular" roads -
usually 4m or narrower. They may have "Alley" or the abbreviation for "Alley" in their street name, or they may have some other road type in their name.
If you think it resembles an alley (is named alley or seems narrow or not suitable for through routing), then the following guidance should cover most situations. Exceptions to these rules need to be considered on a case-by case basis and most discussed with a State Manager. It might be a good idea to leave a map comment very close to a narrow "alleylike" roadway that does not follow these guidelines
  • If it is a private "back alley" that functions as a driveway:
    • if it is not essential for routing drivers of at least one of the Waze supported vehicles types to at least one destination, it should generally not be drawn, regardless of its width,
    • if it must be drawn, it should be treated like a driveway (USA driveway guidance)
  • If it is public:
    • If it is too narrow for any supported vehicle type, it should not be drawn.
    • If it is not wide enough for private cars, but is a legal route for motorcycles, then all vehicles should be prohibited except for motorcycles.
    • If the width is less than 2m for a one-way street (4m for a 2-way), then it is an alley. Road type PR. in Philadelphia.
    • If it is wider, it should be mapped as an ordinary street. Road type LS, in Philadelphia
voludu2
Send a message
Last edited by voludu2 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by voludu2
Thanks for the typo correction. And that's a good point. I've only seen one segment in Philadelphia which had a sign that gave me the impression motorcycles were allowed even though it was too narrow for cars. It was somewhere in old city, I think. But of course I can't find it now...
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Before I forget - I made an update to the wiki page, under resources.
The City of Philadelphia is transitioning from its current city map system to two new map systems

Code: Select all

Philadelphia [https://atlas.phila.gov deed/parcel map]  and [https://openmaps.phila.gov/ Closures, places, etc]
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
The discussion of 4-digit State routes has led to a proposal to change guidance:
viewtopic.php?f=215&t=251593&p=1793674#p1793674
If there are no objections, how about if we go forward with this change before the end of this week?
Anyone want to volunteer to do the honors?
State routes with 4 digit route numbers
If the state route has no other name, then the 4-digit state route may be used as its primary name. 4-digit state routes may be retained as alt names but must be checked for correctness and removed from any segment to which they do not apply.
A change in guidance was made in March 2018 in order to help editors more quickly find roads detailed in PennDOT closure notices. Before that time, guidance was to remove 4-digit state route numbers used in alt names.
voludu2
Send a message