Long route problem on US-77

Post by AggieJM
I opened a topic over in the Map forum, just wanted to post a link over here to see if anyone had any ideas.

Long route problem

My second post in that topic narrows it down to a specific location that seems to be a reproducible problem on LiveMap, but I can't see anything wrong that would affect this.

Ideas??
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:3323561

Send a message

Post by AggieJM
andrewfatcat wrote:Actually it works when I tried it with fastest now
I actually did a renovation for Waco so it might help.
I've always used the 'fastest route' option since I've seen some REALLY crazy routes when using 'shortest route' on here (or any other GPS). It just always threw me that my route was actually faster than the route it suggested, but it never used it.

I guess I'll get to test it out this weekend. Heading south tonight and back north on Sunday. I'll let you know how it goes.
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by AggieJM
I made that round trip this weekend and ran Waze both ways.

On the southbound trip Thursday morning, the route it initially gave me was to use I-35 south to 130 north of Austin. When I was near Waxahachie, it recalculated and gave the me the routing down US-77 to Giddings showing a mileage and time savings. I'm not sure why it decided at that point that the route was better. In past trips, I've usually had to get closer to Waco before it would recalculate that way.

On the northbound trip Sunday night, but the behavior was the same as in the past. Starting in Giddings, it gave me the route that goes toward Austin. When I looked for alternate routes, all three went towards Austin initially and were longer than the original. The only difference between Route #1 and #2 was that one used I-35E and the other used I-35W. Route #3 was a detour far west of I-35 that used US-67 to get back to Dallas. I left it in navigation mode and headed north on US-77 and it kept recalculating ways to get me back to Austin as it had in the past. So I decided to try something different. I stopped the navigation and just let Waze track me on the map. At various points along my trip I would start navigation again to let it find a route. Each time it would find the route going towards Austin, until I was north of the CR-417/US-77 intersection (described in my other topic here). Once I was north of CR-417, then it found the route that would take me north on US-77 through Cameron. The only difference between the route it found and what I wanted was that the Waze route was using State Hwy 7 south of Waco to get from 77 to I-35, whereas I follow 77 into Robinson to connect to 35.

I stopped in Cameron for fuel and when I got back on the road and restarted navigation, it then found the route into Waco, through the traffic circle onto I-35. It did suggest a U-Turn on Valley Mills that was not allowed the last time I went through that area, so I corrected that this morning.

So based on this, I'm drawing two conclusions:

1) There is something wrong with some segments around the US-77/CR-417 intersection that cause Waze to not want to route northbound on 77 through that area. I can't see anything wrong in the editor, so I wonder if there is some corrupt data there.

2) It appears that if you stay in navigation mode, Waze will continue to try to get you back to the path you were originally on instead of calculating a new route based on your current location. I'm saying this due to the differences in the routes given when I started navigation in various locations as opposed to letting it recalculate automatically after I ignored each turn instruction. I could see this being good in some cases, but in this scenario it doesn't work well since it keeps generating longer and longer routes instead of taking the route that is shortest. In this case on past trips, it would continue to route toward Austin even after I was far north of the problem intersection in #1.

Thoughts?
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by AggieJM
No, still broken on my last trip through there last weekend. Have deleted and rebuilt those segments yet, but going to try that before my next trip.
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by AggieJM
I deleted and rebuilt the three segments of US Hwy 77 in that area this morning. Hopefully this will make it into the client by my next trip through there. I put them back just like they were before, but hopefully if there was any bad data attached to those segments or the junctions, it's now gone.

I'll post an update the next time I route through the area.
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by txemt
This problem, still?!? Ugh.....
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
You know....another thing I was thinking....

77 has red lights as it goes through the various towns, as opposed to 290 (or 190) which doesn't have as many red lights or many towns to get to 130. I'm wondering if that is also a reason why Waze won't direct you up 77 to DFW.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
Did this ever get fixed/resolved? Is it working properly, now?
txemt
Send a message