Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Future Highways Built in Houston Area

Post by BigA061395
While recently editing my area in Spring/Klein/Tomball area, I found that an area manager had added a "future highway" that has not yet been constructed and won't be constructed for at least a couple years. Is this allowable or should the area manager be contacted about this?

Heres the future grand parkway in the map editor:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-95.65 ... TTTTTTTTFT
BigA061395

POSTER_ID:6799209

Send a message

Post by BigA061395
It's still in the design phase according to the official website and is expected to begin building this summer if all goes as planned.
BigA061395
Send a message

Post by BigA061395
Okay thanks for the advice!
BigA061395
Send a message

Post by BigA061395
Speaking of the base map, does that ever get changed? Because it says there a lake in the middle of my neighborhood and their obviously isn't...
BigA061395
Send a message

Post by BigA061395
Okay thanks guys.

Just an update on the grand parkway. I PM the editor and he said that it was actually under construction so I'm just going to leave it alone.
BigA061395
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
orbitc wrote:I agree with txemt....
If cannot drive right now it should NOT be on the map. Its best to put it on when the road is available.
This is contrary to what we've been doing. If the road is under construction and expected to open in the near future, it can be mapped, but not as a drivable road, and not connected to anything.

If it's just in the planning stage on paper only, it shouldn't be on the map. Look at the hundreds of subdivisions in the middle of nowhere that were imported with the basemap that have never been built, and many will never be built.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
txemt wrote:The highway I referenced in my first reply to this has hit an interesting snag. One of the companies working on the project has gone belly up, so there's not telling when it's going to be finished. It exists and everything, but there won't be any cars driving on it for the foreseeable future.
Then that sounds like a candidate for removal.

If there's a highway that you're waiting to open, then you should draw it in, so that when the opening day is a few days away, all you have to do is connect it and switch the type and have it ready.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
BigA061395 wrote:Speaking of the base map, does that ever get changed? Because it says there a lake in the middle of my neighborhood and their obviously isn't...
No...the basemap import was a one-time thing.

However, the lake in the middle of your neighborhood is a separate water layer that we can't edit. They've made adjustments to the coastal areas recently. Somewhere in the forums, there's a thread about water where there is land.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
txemt wrote: Isn't that the one about where a huge section of Honolulu is underwater?
Probably...the specific place I was thinking of is Grand Island, NY which is not shown as land.

http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=11&lo ... yers=BTTTT
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Mike-1323 wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Probably...the specific place I was thinking of is Grand Island, NY which is not shown as land.

http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=11&lo ... yers=BTTTT
My favorite part of the water layer is how the Great Lakes stop at the border. :lol:
That's because they have no water in Canada. The entire country is a giant glacier. If the inhabitants of Canada (known as Eskimos) want water, they have to drill a hole in the ice under their igloo and pump water to the surface!

:lol:
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message