Does shopping centers count as Places?

Post by BugLaden
From the Places wiki:

Area Places serve all the functions of Point Places while providing additional visual orientation cues on the user's client display. Because of their increased visibility and the resulting potential for map clutter, Area Places are easily overused. In principle, if a location is not distinctive and significant enough to orient drivers, it should not be marked with an Area Place.

In Arundel Mills there are some shopping centers that have area places that are locked at Rank 4.

To me, shopping centers as a whole body are clutter. Wouldn't we want to create places individual stores as points instead?
BugLaden

POSTER_ID:16834476

Send a message
[img]https:///NvxDK[/img] | [img]https:///kw8w7[/img] https://j.mp/1xPiWC8 Managed Area

Post by kodi75
As far as shopping center Area Places are concerned, I would be in favor of only showing Arundel Mills Mall and not Arundel Village or Arundel Mills Marketplace. The mall is a known destination - the other shopping centers not so much.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by mdswbkq
To my view, a mall or shopping center as a whole, including its parking or garages, should be an "area" place, because it is an orienting location; people want to know where they are in relationship to the Arundel Mills Mall vs. the Arundel Mills Marketplace. Significant shops within the area can then be highlighted as "point" places.

I would tend to discourage the fairly common habit of marking gas stations as "area" places; a single business location is better marked as a point. Thus, in the map above, I'd prefer that the Exxon station be marked as a point rather than an area.
mdswbkq
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
AM: Central Maryland

Post by nzahn1
My 2¢: The shopping centers display as large grey splotches on the otherwise cream background.

I'd say this isn't clutter, but rather, a representation of the large grey parking lots on an otherwise normal community.

I just drove through here the other day, and I'd say that its nice to visually recognize that the shopping centers are separate, and distinct from the major mall. Also, it can be helpful in orienting the driver, say if they pass the first shopping center on the right, before turning left onto mills drive.

One users opinion though, and I'm always a fan of less misc crap on the map (thinking PLot roads in this case).
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Attachments

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
mdswbkq wrote:To my view, a mall or shopping center as a whole, including its parking or garages, should be an "area" place, because it is an orienting location; people want to know where they are in relationship to the Arundel Mills Mall vs. the Arundel Mills Marketplace. Significant shops within the area can then be highlighted as "point" places.

I would tend to discourage the fairly common habit of marking gas stations as "area" places; a single business location is better marked as a point. Thus, in the map above, I'd prefer that the Exxon station be marked as a point rather than an area.
Your first ¶ conforms with the wiki guidance, and my opinion.
Your second ¶ is opposite the wiki guidance. The champs and a lot of editors decided that gas stations should be visible in the app, and until such a time that we can see Point Places (maybe as a Gas Station symbol), they should be area places. I happen to agree to this point.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by trooster10
I agree with nzahn - I like to see each distinct shopping center or strip mall as a gray area, especially prominent ones that are clearly signed with a name. That being said, I have no objection to making the two strip malls point places, but Arundel Mills Mall should definitely remain as an area place. I locked them because a number of editors kept reshaping them to the building line then drawing separate parking lot landmarks. I've lowered the lock to 3.

In general, I think that named shopping centers should be marked with some type of place in addition to the individual stores, so that the name is on record and searchable. The shopping center's name may be more useful than an address, especially if that's how the store advertises itself (for instance, a website saying "Safeway located in Arundel Village"), and since addresses are usually difficult to use in retail settings.
trooster10
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Thomas R. - Level 5 Editor
State Manager - Maryland