Maryland Newbie Q&A

Post by bcurtiswx
Hi All,

For those who have not "met" me in the MD GHO. I live in the Gambrills area of MD and have been a waze user (and beta user) for a long while but only started learning best editing practices recently.

I am interested in both the simple Q&A and the questions that dig a little into the parts of map editing that aren't as common sense. So I felt that maybe I can help some of the beginners like myself get a better idea on things in the MD community by creating a list of questions that the higher levels can answer with some more detail than you may find in the general waze editor help guides. Maybe this could even become a part of MD editor welcome messages!

My personal advice for newbies would be to read the Maryland wazeopedia, play around searching for things and don't be afraid to ask questions all the time in the GHO. I ask almost stupid questions and nobody has ever made me feel bad about asking. Once you start getting used to things, then start helping newbies out when you know the answers to their questions.

Anyone with edit perms can edit the answers to these questions if I don't get to them soon enough from this threads replies. Also if you can think of other unusual but beneficial questions to put on this list, make sure you reply to this thread!

Q: What are the top mistakes made by beginners that we can learn from the most?

Kodi: Aside from Red Roads, junctions (not connecting roads to the network) and turn restrictions, one of the more important concepts to understand is Simplicity - Waze does not need all parking lot lanes (entrance/ exits) and driveways mapped in order to direct the driver from A to B. And with the GHO it's easy to ask for help, or learn from others. I sometimes prefer on-campus classes - often I don't know enough to ask the right questions.

Russ: All of us probably would say Red Roads and parking lot weaves but I like the wiki article on Incorrect Edits

NZahn: Parking lots, red roads, cul-de-sacs, divided roads, building outlines. Most of these come down to what Kodi said: simplicity. Parking lots don't need to have all the lanes mapped, because that doesn't actually make routing any easier/better (for now?); cul-de-sacs don't need loops because dead ends work well, even giving u-turn instructions; divided roads doubles the data, and makes cross streets turn data worse; building outlines don't render in the app, and usually are too small to appear at all. By keeping it simple, and following the Wazeopedia guidance the app just works better.

Q: Once a beginner becomes more comfortable with how things work, what are the easiest types of edits for someone to work on towards getting level 2?

Kodi: While there are Places & place updates review, one can learn much about the issues drivers face from working on UR's. Jump on a Map Raid can be a method to reach R2 since you are not limited to only editing near areas where you drive.

Russ: I'd suggest finding an seasoned editor and talk about what you like to do so far and they can steer you to areas that will speed you along the L2 path. Any of the local R3s or above will gladly share what they like to do. If you decide you like places, team up with an R2+ to approve as you go.

NZahn: User Reports (URs) all day long. Even if it takes staring at the GPS traces for 15 minutes, imagining yourself driving the route, or even visiting the area, working URs (and asking questions) is the best way to learn about how the app works, how routing works, and how mapping affects it all. I'll expand by saying, try it without scripts, the more you can get from just looking at the UR traces, roads, turn restrictions, etc the faster and more confident you'll be.

Q: Was there ever a point where you've felt like you've gotten the hang of everything that can be done with the WME/Scripts?

Kodi: I don't think I've reached that point. As in any task, one tends to learn enough to get the job done. There's always more to learn.

Russ: Scripts and WME change so quickly that this is a challenge for all levels. I have my recommended list of scripts for editors that are ready for them (generally after reaching R2) and above that, I share what I use and why. Over time, my list changes to adapt to scripts for new features and as script fade away. Ask any 5 of us and the ones we all use are probably the ones you must have. The wiki article on scripts is definitely a great starting place for a DIY lesson.

NZahn: Nope, not ever. Everytime I learn something or think I know something, a new feature is released, they tweak the routing server, a new kind of script is released, or new guidance is needed. Its never ending, and always changing.

Q: What differs the most about the Maryland edits vs. other nearby states (i.e. Functional Classification, or Street Naming)?

Kodi: Some states in the Northeast have a city/ township for every mile - there is never a time where an editor checks "None" in the city field (except for Freeways). In PA they have duplicate township names in the various counties - solved by labeling the "other city's segments "City, County." In our area (MD, VA, WV) that's not the case. I was told long ago by an RC not to be "afraid" of the "no city".

NZahn: We don't have any county routes, only Interstates, US Hwys, and State Hwys. City names seem weird because the County is usually your local government, not town or village. Functional class (FC) is pretty straight forward, but many of the state hwys (MD-###) might be unsigned, retired, or not contiguous, which can affect the way we map them in the WME.

Q: What keeps editing fun or in some cases addicting?

Kodi: New feature rollouts from wAze, taking on different roles, hoping that in responding to URs we recruit new editors (or at least give them a greater understanding and appreciation of the volunteers!

Russ: I honestly love navigating to a place I edited. Such as seeing information that helps me in my drive that I touched. Your mileage here will vary based upon the amount of driving you do. I can say, the pot hole reports and such drive me a bit bonkers. Some roads are a pothole (such as MD-295) and I just don't need to be told that.

NZahn: Going back to "will I ever master everything?", the answer is no, and that is the best part. Its always a constant challenge, you never stop asking questions, and there is always more to learn. Once you get to the top (L6, Champ, Beta User, Wiki Master, Expert) you event get to start asking questions of staff; which is a mixture of being great, frustrating, illuminating, and hilarious.

Q: What are some of the funny things that have happened in your waze editing journeys?

Kodi: The Jolly Drivers and Jolly Place Photos/forum threads.

NZahn: You gotta take everything as funny: the WME is funny (who decided these colors?), the app is funny (why can't I search for a Place by its address?), the forums are funny, the drama is funny (this is a hobby, if you're not having fun, walk away). I get a good chuckle out of almost everything. But the best thing is that you can never escape being a newbie: there will always be those mistakes you made 6 years ago lurking in your hometown or around your dorm, and a R1 editor will be the one to find it and bring it to the community, and you just gotta laugh :lol: .
bcurtiswx
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:1977230

Send a message
Last edited by bcurtiswx on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by jr1982jr
I bet we all will have slightly different answers for some of your questions.

A: All of us probably would say Red Roads and parking lot weaves but I like the wiki article on Incorrect Edits

Q: Once a beginner becomes more comfortable with how things work, what are the easiest types of edits for someone to work on towards getting level 2?
A: I'd suggest finding an seasoned editor and talk about what you like to do so far and they can steer you to areas that will speed you along the L2 path. Any of the local R3s or above will gladly share what they like to do. If you decide you like places, team up with an R2+ to approve as you go.

Q: Was there ever a point where you've felt like you've gotten the hang of everything that can be done with the WME/Scripts?
A: Scripts and WME change so quickly that this is a challenge for all levels. I have my recommended list of scripts for editors that are ready for them (generally after reaching R2) and above that, I share what I use and why. Over time, my list changes to adapt to scripts for new features and as script fade away. Ask any 5 of us and the ones we all use are probably the ones you must have. The wiki article on scripts is definitely a great starting place for a DIY lesson.

A: I honestly love navigating to a place I edited. Such as seeing information that helps me in my drive that I touched. Your mileage here will vary based upon the amount of driving you do. I can say, the pot hole reports and such drive me a bit bonkers. Some roads are a pothole (such as MD-295) and I just don't need to be told that.

All in all, the other editors are your friends and will get you editing efficiently. The one tool you cannot survive without (in my opinion) is GHO. I've seen you in there so you're on your way.
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kodi75
A:
Aside from Red Roads, junctions (not connecting roads to the network) and turn restrictions, one of the more important concepts to understand is Simplicity - Waze does not need all parking lot lanes (entrance/ exits) and driveways mapped in order to direct the driver from A to B. And with the GHO it's easy to ask for help, or learn from others. I sometimes prefer on-campus classes - often I don't know enough to ask the right questions.

A:
While there are Places & place updates review, one can learn much about the issues drivers face from working on UR's. Jump on a Map Raid can be a method to reach R2 since you are not limited to only editing near areas where you drive.

A:
I don't think I've reached that point. As in any task, one tends to learn enough to get the job done. There's always more to learn.

Q: What differs the most about the Maryland edits vs. other nearby states (i.e. Functional Classification, or Street Naming)?
A:
Some states in the Northeast have a city/ township for every mile - there is never a time where an editor checks "None" in the city field (except for Freeways). In PA they have duplicate township names in the various counties - solved by labeling the "other city's segments "City, County." In our area (MD, VA, WV) that's not the case. I was told long ago by an RC not to be "afraid" of the "no city".

A:
New feature rollouts from wAze, taking on different roles, hoping that in responding to URs we recruit new editors (or at least give them a greater understanding and appreciation of the volunteers!

Q: What are some of the funny things that have happened in your waze editing journeys?
A:
The Jolly Drivers and Jolly Place Photosforum threads.

Editing mistakes happen to everyone - sometimes caused by WME glitches, sometimes not. During a recent Map Raid, a busy divided highway segment was inadvertently reversed :-0 The problem was exacerbated by a delay in tile updates! Nothing to do but apologize to the UR reporters and move on!
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
A: Parking lots, red roads, cul-de-sacs, divided roads, building outlines. Most of these come down to what Kodi said: simplicity. Parking lots don't need to have all the lanes mapped, because that doesn't actually make routing any easier/better (for now?); cul-de-sacs don't need loops because dead ends work well, even giving u-turn instructions; divided roads doubles the data, and makes cross streets turn data worse; building outlines don't render in the app, and usually are too small to appear at all. By keeping it simple, and following the Wazeopedia guidance the app just works better.

A: User Reports (URs) all day long. Even if it takes staring at the GPS traces for 15 minutes, imagining yourself driving the route, or even visiting the area, working URs (and asking questions) is the best way to learn about how the app works, how routing works, and how mapping affects it all. I'll expand by saying, try it without scripts, the more you can get from just looking at the UR traces, roads, turn restrictions, etc the faster and more confident you'll be.

A: Nope, not ever. Everytime I learn something or think I know something, a new feature is released, they tweak the routing server, a new kind of script is released, or new guidance is needed. Its never ending, and always changing.

A: We don't have any county routes, only Interstates, US Hwys, and State Hwys. City names seem weird because the County is usually your local government, not town or village. Functional class (FC) is pretty straight forward, but many of the state hwys (MD-###) might be unsigned, retired, or not contiguous, which can affect the way we map them in the WME. :geek:

A: Going back to "will I ever master everything?", the answer is no, and that is the best part. Its always a constant challenge, you never stop asking questions, and there is always more to learn. Once you get to the top (L6, Champ, Beta User, Wiki Master, Expert) you event get to start asking questions of staff; which is a mixture of being great, frustrating, illuminating, and hilarious.

A: You gotta take everything as funny: the WME is funny (who decided these colors?), the app is funny (why can't I search for a Place by its address?), the forums are funny, the drama is funny (this is a hobby, if you're not having fun, walk away). I get a good chuckle out of almost everything. But the best thing is that you can never escape being a newbie: there will always be those mistakes you made 6 years ago lurking in your hometown or around your dorm, and a R1 editor will be the one to find it and bring it to the community, and you just gotta laugh :lol: .
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter