Waze is not marking speed cameras or red-light cameras

Moderators: delilush, ply8808, stephenr1966

Waze is not marking speed cameras or red-light cameras

Postby Redeemed52597 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:49 pm

Hello,

I don't have enough street cred to be a map editor yet, but as a delivery driver I regularly submit alerts for street closures, potholes, objects on road, etc. Such submissions appear immediately on my map. It's a different story however for speed cameras and red-light cameras.

I have been repeatedly marking one location in Baltimore City with a speed camera and one location with a red-light camera for WEEKS and they still do not appear on the Waze map. The cameras are as follows:

- On South Wolfe St there is a red-light camera at the intersection of Aliceanna St.

- On West Ostend St there are two speed cameras (one for eastbound and one for westbound traffic) at the intersection of Race St.

How can it be that I can report an accident, police, street closure, or pothole and have it appear immediately on my map, but not so for red-light and speed cameras?

If Waze doesn't want a speed or red-light camera to appear on other Wazer's maps until it is confirmed by some higher up, fine, but at the very least it should appear on the map of the one making the submission.

What needs to be done to get the map updated with these cameras?
Last edited by Redeemed52597 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redeemed52597

Re: Waze is not marking speed cameras or red-light cameras

Postby nzahn1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Welcome! You found the right place.

The speed camera submissions via the app have been disabled for some time, as HQ found the data quality was very poor. But you did the right thing bringing it to the volunteer community.

The accident, police, hazards, etc are all handled on the real-time server and don't require any changes in the map itself. The speed and red light cameras have to be added via the map editor. After they are added to the map, it can take some time for the cameras to sync to the app.

Even a level 1 user, you should be able to login to the map editor (https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor/) and enable the "Enforcement Cameras" layer from the layer menu to see the existing cameras.

I've added the cameras to Aliceanna & Wolfe and Ostend @ Race, so you should see these appear in the app in the next week.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Mid-Atlantic Assist. Coordinator | WME Beta | iOS Beta
WME Profile E-Mail MD Twitter MDForum MDWiki Welcome!
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby SirGadwall » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Hello Redeemed52597,

Despite having a button to report cameras, these reports do not reach the map presently for editors to address. Such app behavior is beyond our control as volunteer editors. Presently, we rely on Wazers using the Report > Map Issue option and then enter a description of the problem like "missing speed camera". We try and stay on top of the published lists for speed/red light cams, but sometimes miss a few here and there.

We'll get these cameras added to the map, but please be patient. They can take a little longer than some of our other edits to appear.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Thanks,
SIrGadwall (Baltimore Area Manager)
SirGadwall
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Redeemed52597 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:22 pm

I appreciate the quick responses!

I have since gone to the map editor and displayed the enforcement layer and here's what I found:

I can see one speed camera on the north side of W Ostend St at Race St, but the camera on the south side of Ostend (in the southwest quadrant of W Ostend St and Race St) facing west is not appearing. However, the speed camera which is listed on this map still is not appearing on my Android Waze map.

I also see a red light camera in the northeast quadrant of S Wolfe St and Aliceanna St (which there may be, I'm not sure), but the camera I'm familiar with is in the southwest quadrant of the intersection facing east.
Redeemed52597

Postby nzahn1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Redeemed52597 wrote:the camera on the south side of Ostend (in the southwest quadrant of W Ostend St and Race St) facing west is not appearing.
The city didn't list the precise camera locations and directions so I took a guess based on the available info. I'll run out at lunch and double check the placement here.

However, the speed camera which is listed on this map still is not appearing on my Android Waze map.
As stated in the comments above, it can take several days or even more than a week for cameras to sync from the online map to the user apps.

I also see a red light camera in the northeast quadrant of S Wolfe St and Aliceanna St (which there may be, I'm not sure), but the camera I'm familiar with is in the southwest quadrant of the intersection facing east.
You are correct, I misread the data. Thank you for the correction.
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Mid-Atlantic Assist. Coordinator | WME Beta | iOS Beta
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby nzahn1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:52 pm

FYI, I drove past the camera location on Ostend near the Post Office. There IS a camera in both directions, so I've added another one to the map. The WB camera is now active on the map (see the image below) but the EB will take a few days to appear.

[ img ]
nzahn1
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby avozetta » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:06 am

Hi!

Is there any official statement from Waze to point at that this function to report speed cams from the app are disabled? Worldwide of for some specific countries?

I mean, the function is still active in the app!

We have got at least one map report feedback that this is not working right now.

From the Swedish community we have given feedback to Waze that the quality of these reports are poor and therefore asked to remove the possibility to report the speed cams from that dedicated function.
/Anders
Sweden Wiki Master, Sweden Waze Champ, Sweden Country Manager, AM in Sweden/Stockholm area, Waze Beta Tester
HTC U11 Android 8.0
avozetta
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Return to Maryland