What does One Way sign mean?

Post by CBenson
Does anyone know what the significance of this one-way sign is?

There is a UR here with a rather straight forward message - " left from briarcroft onto laurel-Bowie not allowed." But the user track makes the left and except for the one-way sign I don't see any prohibition. Is anyone familiar with this intersection?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:1005502

Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by AndyPoms
I would say it's a poorly placed sign indicating that there is a median on Laurel Bowie Rd. If you "drive" the street view into the intersection and look back, you'll see that the other side of that sign has a one-way sign too.

I don't see anything that would indicate that the lefts onto Laurel Bowie Rd are not allowed. It may be worth checking with the local Police / DPW though.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by attheyard
I'm familiar with that intersection. Trooster is right about the one way sign. If the left turn is prohibited it's recent, because the last time I went through there (it's been a few months) it was allowed. It's definitely a dangerous turn so I could see why it would be restricted.
attheyard
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CBenson
There is another UR stating again that the left-turn is not allowed. This time the user actually goes right and makes a U-turn. Anyone know if anything has changed since last November?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by ghstridyr
I get over that way at least once a week. I will swing by and take a look to see what, if anything, has changed.
ghstridyr
Send a message

Post by ghstridyr
Swung by today: there have been no changes to the intersection. It is exactly as represented in the google street view. The currently defined WME intersection details and turn permissions are correct.

Getting back to the UR: left from Briarcroft onto Laurel-Bowie is permitted. And with a nod to attheyard; I certainly wouldn't attempt this turn during rush hour.
ghstridyr
Send a message

Post by syborg_sasquatch
I stopped by this intersection yesterday. The left turn remains allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
syborg_sasquatch
Send a message
Chuck H. | Rank 3 Editor
Samsung Galaxy S4 | Android 4.2.2 | Waze 3.7.8
DC Wiki | MD Wiki | VA Wiki

Post by trooster10
It's there to indicate that 197 is a divided highway. One-way signs are optional in this case and appear to have been omitted from the stop sign assembly on the other side of the road. See Figure 2B-16 on Page 113 of the Maryland MUTCD. I also checked the SHA Signal Plan Locator and there are no drawings for a signal at this location. It's possible that the turn has been recently prohibited (like this) though I can't find any information on the internet regarding the current state of the intersection.
trooster10
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Thomas R. - Level 5 Editor
State Manager - Maryland