Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Dismissal Of My Flags Caused Navigation Error To Address

Post by Sawuwaya
Hello:

I have been an avid user of since March of 2016. Before that I used GMaps and Waze stuck with me because of the vast user real-time intervention of on-going road hazards, police ahead, etc. No wonder Google apprehended Waze for $1.1B...lol.

I want to make it clear that my email address (a.k.a. me: Sawuwaya) was just granted the right to enter corrections & additions without warrants because the whom ever heads up (oversees) the Northeast US section Waze Team map editing section has graciously acknowledged that I can be trusted on entering new places and addresses without errors. I would like to keep my reputation as such, please - untarnished.

The name of the residential building is Hartford East there is a subtlety located sign perpendicularly located on the corner of Main Street at Locust Court this was my discussion, originally about moving the end waypoint.

So, when I Flagged an East Hartford, CT address (886 Main Street [a.k.a. US Route 44]) to move its Endpoint to a better location I submitted several scenarios in whereas Locust Court, East Hartford, Connecticut would have been better, "they" dismissed my findings -- concluding that the original Waypoint Endpoint should stand as correct.

By doing so, somehow when whomever double-checked my Flags the Endpoint got FUBARED so much that when I used Waze to map a directions back to the 886 Main Street, East Hartford, CT address (where my client lives -- incidentally) it navigated me to the middle of the 1600 section of Main Street (in this instance Main Street is a very long road since it is also US 44 as well)...

I used Waze to navigate to this address three different times on two different days and I ended up at the fictitious address every time! This is going to make other drivers, especially new drivers, that use Waze to pickup and see other clients there at that address very confused.

I originally suggested to move the Endpoint to LOCUST COURT. So instead taking that left from Connecticut Blvd, you stay in the straight lane, cross US 44/Main Street to LOCUST COURT.

I provided three screenshots. The first is of Google Maps (and is the one of the appropriate Waypoint Endpoints to 886 Main Street, East Hartford, CT), the bottom of the screenshot is the end of Connecticut Boulevard at the junction of US 44/Main Street. 886 Main Street is the building marked with the description of Beso Lounge and Martini Bar. Where I circled in [style color="yellow"]yellow[/style] is the actual enterance to 886 Main Street where thw residents enter (as well as the Home Companions, RNs and CPAs, etc.). Locust Court, which is unnamed in this photo, is circled in [style color="blue"]blue[/style].

Cheers!

《♤》Sawuwaya / Spirit Wolfe《♤》
(Sent from my SM-G935P using TapaTalk)
Sawuwaya

POSTER_ID:17371256

Send a message
Cheers!

《♤》Sawuwaya / Spirit Wolfe 《♤》

You can also find me on the TapaTalk Network

Post by AndyPoms
We recently added Locust Ct to the map to correct a similar issue (possibly this one).

I just did two searches - one in the editor & one in the app - for "886 Main St East Hartford, CT". Both returned the same location - on Main St, just north of Connecticut Blvd (see app Screenshot). That result is In the same place that Google drops the pin, which isn't surprising because when there are no entries in the Waze Residential Places Database & no entries in the Waze House Numbers Database your search fails over to Google.

I'm in agreement that a RPP (residential point place) put in the correct spot would fix this issue. Please note, RPPs do not get names, it's just an address for lookup purposes.

P.S. I deleted your duplicate post to clean this thread up a little bit.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
Sawuwaya wrote:Second, I wish you made a mobile app so that we (when you get to know us and trust us to do so properly as map editors could correct the RPP (residential point place) on our own, instead of this back-and-forth.
You can create a RPP at your current location in the Waze app already. hit Report->Place, take a photo of the outside of your house, tap the arrows (where the photo button was). At the top of the next page, select "This is a residential place", then enter the address and verify the location.

For privacy, your username isn't visible to others (like it is for those who create/edit businesses) & the photo is only shown to those who explicitly search for your address.

One other thing, once the Residential Place is active (it may have to be approved depending on your Waze editor rank), you will have to do a NEW search for the location - your history & favorites (including "Home") only store GPS coordinates & don't do a new search.
KTCAOP wrote:In terms of what we are talking about in terms of house numbers - please refer to this page in our wiki.
The "House Numbers" system discussed there is being depreciated in favor of Residential Point Places.
Sawuwaya wrote: To answer your question the address in question is not a house number. However 886 Main Street (a.k.a. US 44), East Hartford, CT is a residential apartment complex.
What's the address to the building? If it's 886 Main St, then yes, it's a house number or more specifically, the physical address of that particular plot of land. Just because there isn't a small house there, doesn't mean it isn't a house number.
Sawuwaya wrote:Listen, if the point-of-entry could be moved and redirect the End Waypoint (if I am using this term out-of-context, please let me know) to Locust CT and put an RPP here.
You probably mean "stop point" - the GPS coordinates that Waze will use to navigate to the closest road segment on the Waze map.
Sawuwaya wrote:Now I know Locust CT is a small road without any physical addresses on it and the road is just a through way, so this also might lead to some more confusion in the Waze database as well. But if you look a a satellite image of the junctions of Connecticut Boulevard, Main Street and Locust CT (depending, possibly, on what satellite view you are looking at) you might see a sign on the corner of Locust CT @ Main Street in whereas this points to a better entrance to 886 Main Street than that which is currently listed.
Using the House Numbers system, the addresses were tied directly to the street on the map, HOWEVER, using the newer RPP system the point contains the number and street info & isn't tied to a specific segment on the map. So, using an RPP, the stop point for 886 Main St can actually be closer to Locust Ct & Waze will navigate to Locust Ct when it is selected.
Sawuwaya wrote:(Incidentally, I was under the impression that Google owns Waze, so why is Waze considerd a separate entity. If you use GMaps as a fail-safe fallover when Waze exhausts all of her options, then why can we not use GMaps as a reference?)
Google does not own Waze - both Waze & Google are owned by the same parent company - Alphabet (but that's a recent change, and more of a technicality than anything). Waze licenses the address search data (and a few other things) from Google (and did so before becoming part of the Google/Alphabet family). Waze does not license map information from Google, hence using it is a copyright violation. This is covered in the Using External Sources section of the Waze Wiki.
KTCAOP wrote:As an aside, I would also personally recommend making Locust CT a single junction at the light. All turns are enabled anyway and this would prevent potential left turn data corruption.
I would recommend against this for several reasons - including that while it's a wide intersection, the offset it great enough (10m) for it to be significant.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by KTCAOP
So a few things

1) When you are flagging a destination and then it is dismissed, your reputation really isn't tarnished in any way. It only matters if there is a history of really bad flags.

2) I'm getting a little lost in the wall of text - can you please confirm that the residential address in question is 886 Main Street, East Hartford, CT ?

3) When you have bad driving destinations/directions - the best way to enter this report is a map error, not necessarily a place error.

4) We *cannot* use google maps as a source here as they are a competitor and it is a copyrighted source. We can't just copy another map's information and put it in here. We can still use your own personal knowledge / information however to try to push this forward.

Now to answer your actual question, I don't actually see any house numbers being entered in there for Waze. If you do believe that Locust Court is the best entrance, we can easily either put the house number at that entrance, or put in a residential point place in that location.
KTCAOP
Send a message

Post by KTCAOP
Hello again!

Just because Google owns both Waze and Google Maps does not mean Waze as a company can just freely use Google Map's material. That would be like saying because I work for one county, even though we are paid by the State's funds, that I then should have access to all of the other counties information. Waze and Google Maps are two competing services, they are separate, therefore Waze can only use the information that Google Maps allows Waze to use, and likewise Google Maps can only use the information that Waze allows Google Maps to use.

In terms of what we are talking about in terms of house numbers - please refer to this page in our wiki.

I would, however create a point place - adding in the address at the bottom of the general tab - converting the place to a residential place and saving. As you have found out, however, the Waze Map Editor (WME) was NOT designed to be editing through a mobile device. A desktop version of Chrome would be best as the Waze Map Editor was designed for a keyboard and mouse.

As an aside, I would also personally recommend making Locust CT a single junction at the light. All turns are enabled anyway and this would prevent potential left turn data corruption.
KTCAOP
Send a message

Post by Sawuwaya
(I cannot seem to insert my three screenshots into my post...through TapaTalk's mobile app...)

Cheers!

Sawuwaya
Send a message
Cheers!

Post by Sawuwaya
First off, I want to apologize that I did mot get back to this post sooner. I am using TapaTalk (as you can see) and a) I am not quite used to it yet, b) I do not know why I cannot or why I post pictures through TapaTalk (I do not have a computer right now so my Samsung Galaxy S7E is it right now) am I doing something wrong?

Second, I wish you made a mobile app so that we (when you get to know us and trust us to do so properly as map editors could correct the RPP (residential point place) on our own, instead of this back-and-forth.

Anyway, sorry for the sidetrack. To answer your question the address in question is not a house number. However 886 Main Street (a.k.a. US 44), East Hartford, CT is a residential apartment complex. (Incidentally, I was under the impression that Google owns Waze, so why is Waze considerd a separate entity. If you use GMaps as a fail-safe fallover when Waze exhausts all of her options, then why can we not use GMaps as a reference?) So, since there is no actual house on that spot I can see the confusion. 886 Main Street, East Hartford, CT might be used as a multi-functional zoning address, too, thus the possible confusion as well.

Listen, if the point-of-entry could be moved and redirect the End Waypoint (if I am using this term out-of-context, please let me know) to Locust CT and put an RPP here. Now I know Locust CT is a small road without any physical addresses on it and the road is just a through way, so this also might lead to some more confusion in the Waze database as well. But if you look a a satellite image of the junctions of Connecticut Boulevard, Main Street and Locust CT (depending, possibly, on what satellite view you are looking at) you might see a sign on the corner of Locust CT @ Main Street in whereas this points to a better entrance to 886 Main Street than that which is currently listed.

I hope I clarified your questions to better diagnose the issue.

Cheers!

Sawuwaya
Send a message
Last edited by AndyPoms on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected the bold markup on "without any physical addresses" in 4th paragraph.
Cheers!

Post by Sawuwaya
Furthermore...

I used to work with oversize loads and I have a lot of driving experience when it comes to entering and exiting places...lol.

I want to say that I would like to provide my input and route corrections the best I can, and to help out the best I can for current and future Wazers. I read more than I post, and I hope to provide better driving solutions to you, this community, and current and future Wazers, alike when I do post...thanks.

Cheers!

Sawuwaya
Send a message
Cheers!