Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

What's going on here?

Post by gofasters4
Out of curiosity, I am looking at this UR. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... ts=8983037
1. The highlighted segment disallows a right turn onto the ramp but Waze still routed them that way.
2. The highlighted segment is typed 'ramp' but it really isn't, as it's a continuation of Farmington Ave.
gofasters4

POSTER_ID:15421538

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gofasters4 wrote:Out of curiosity, I am looking at this UR. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... ts=8983037
1. The highlighted segment disallows a right turn onto the ramp but Waze still routed them that way.
2. The highlighted segment is typed 'ramp' but it really isn't, as it's a continuation of Farmington Ave.
It's just a bad route. Who knows. Easy way to prevent it: remove the junction of the E-W ramp from the "loop" ramp. I see no reason for it to exist unless the westbound traffic is allowed to u-turn. Just bridge the segments over/under each other and remove the possibility to produce such a route.
CBenson wrote:3. Why is the turn icon a keep left icon?
Because of the angle. I think you mean to ask "why is there no turn right instruction at all?" That's puzzling. But my suggestion above will remove the possibility.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
The restrictions have been right for quite a while (at least since March when I last touched the intersection). I don't know what jondrush did to the ramp east of the junction today, but it was working fine.

The other issue is that the UR (which I've started a conversation in) refers to Waze sending the user to Route 9 - which is impossible the way the ramps are mapped. This on-ramp joins I-84 AFTER the ramp to CT-9 exits. It would require two reverse turns and routing the wrong way on a one-way freeway.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
I just found a similar one in NY - this one gives the keep right to the loop (to make the left), but the provided route goes straight & then makes an illegal left.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Attachments
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
This has to be a new bug in the engine... I've been through there - going both straight and left - many, many times (not recently though) and this hasn't happened before...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by CBenson
3. Why is the turn icon a keep left icon?
WhyLeft.png
(268.45 KiB) Downloaded 1021 times
This one does seem odd. Wish we knew when the turn restrictions were last edited.

I'm assuming the right loop is typed as ramp to induce a keep right instruction. But I can't explain the routing at all.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It's just a bad route. Who knows. Easy way to prevent it: remove the junction of the E-W ramp from the "loop" ramp. I see no reason for it to exist unless the westbound traffic is allowed to u-turn. Just bridge the segments over/under each other and remove the possibility to produce such a route.
No. If I understand the intersection, the southbound/westbound traffic on Farmington is allowed to turn left onto the eastbound ramp. You need the junction for this turn.
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Because of the angle. I think you mean to ask "why is there no turn right instruction at all?" That's puzzling. But my suggestion above will remove the possibility.
No again. I meant why is it a keep left icon. The purple route keeps right at the spit. Why is there no right instruction at all could be 4.

Upon further reflection, I believe that waze does not always correctly mark the route where two segments connect the same two nodes. The instructions are given as if you take one segment but the purple line is put on for the other. I believe that adding an extra junction in either of the two ramps will solve this problem. Same thing for Andy's example.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AndyPoms wrote:This has to be a new bug in the engine... I've been through there - going both straight and left - many, many times (not recently though) and this hasn't happened before...
Or its just a very intermittent bug. I can route through there now correctly as well. I suspect that most times waze gets it right and matches the purple line to the instructions. It just seems that is possible in some rare circumstances for the instructions and the purple line to be out of sync when picking between two segments that connect the same two junctions.

I would also note that as you point out this error does not seem to be the error that is being reported by the user. So it seems that it may just be a coincidence that we see this discrepancy in the UR data. For all I know the purple line might have been correct on the phone for the user and is only incorrect in the UR display.

I don't know where your second example is, but it seems odd too. It seems odd that the UR location is given on the jughandle when the green line goes straight. Almost seems like the user was being snapped to the jughandle which would correspond to the routing instructions, but does not correspond to the purple line in the UR data.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
CBenson wrote:Upon further reflection, I believe that waze does not always correctly mark the route where two segments connect the same two nodes.
So this is probably a variation of the through parking lot routing that jasonh300 was talking about in the Champs direct access forum.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator