Rt-24 E to Short Hills Mall - Routing Issue

Post by mishterhaz
Based on this UR, Waze consistently tries to route drives heading Eastbound on SR-24 to Exit 8 when going to the mall.

Anyone who's driven this area knows that Exit 7 is the more efficient way, and it is signed accordingly. I'm not sure if there's much we can do to remedy this however.

Thoughts?
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:3438107

Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Area Manager: Northern DE, NJ and MD
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by antgoesmarching
Hi there. I'm not familiar with this area, but just reviewing on the map, it certainly looks like a much better/faster option to take exit 8 vs exit 7. If I'm looking at it right, it looks like if you take exit 7 you would have to do the following:

- take exit 7 to jfk parkway
- take a jug handle to get on SR-124
- Travel down and make a left on summit ave
- turn left on to SR-124 w to head back to short hills mall

Taking exit 8, you come off of 24 on to 124 just before the left on summit. I'm probably missing something here not being familiar with it, but the second option seems much easier in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
antgoesmarching
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by antgoesmarching
Is the route I described accurate or is there another way to get to the mall from exit 7?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
antgoesmarching
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by fredct42
PhantomSoul wrote: Second, has anyone reviewed the Short Hills Mall place itself? Is the stop point in the best place for where you would expect it to route you if you merely search for Short Hills Mall, or The Mall at Short Hills, or whatever it is called? Right now, it looks like the stop point is closest to the approach along Canoe Brook Rd, which is probably not the main approach to the mall, and may explain some of the URs there.

Does this make sense to everyone?
Agree that Canoe Brook Rd is not where people usually want to go, which is where the point "Short Hills Mall (Canoe Brook Rd)" points you. It's actually a fine way to get in, but it's not what people usually expect.

Knowing the mall layout fairly well, I think the problem is that where you want to enter depends on where you're coming from.

If you're coming from SR-24 W, you typically want to enter from this segment. That brings you directly to the main garages, valet parking (if you're so inclinded), or through to the JFK parkway side if you prefer.

However, if you're coming from SR-24 E or JFK parkway, you probably more want to enter somewhere around these segments.

Unless Waze has a feature to have two points and select the fastest to get to from your destination, I'm not sure you can make everyone happy.

On a side note, if I search for "Short Hills Mall" on the Waze web map, the first result I get says "to JFK Pkwy / The Mall at Short Hills, Summit, NJ", but that maps to a point on SR-124 east which is completely in the wrong place.
fredct42
Send a message

Post by fredct42
There are parking lot roads between the two entrances on the map that look correct. But I agree that Waze never seems to use those and in this case the routing around the exterior of the mall lot is fairly direct.
fredct42
Send a message

Post by GeekDriverPeaceful
I recieved a UR several days ago: the driver is heading west from SR-10 Livingston (eastern side) and Waze does not instructs him to make a left onto the Mall at Short Hills. Waze instead tells the driver to continue to the U-turn at SR-124 and circle back to make a right to the mall. So, discussing the potential solution with George, it would put a thin Junction Box around here to brute force Waze to use Exit 7 instead of Exit 8 (discussed earlier on this forum) because of the PLR penalty. Furthermore, we should also move the stop point closer to the building of the mall itself (still on the approach) to ensure correct instructions from any direction. However, this can also be solved by BDP at Exit 8 Canoe Brook Rd.
GeekDriverPeaceful
Send a message

Post by mishterhaz
The problem with 8 is that you get funneled onto a much smaller access road to the mall's back entrance, and it is routinely backed up there. The signage puts people towards exit 7 because it can handle a larger volume of traffic to the various mall entrances. My real issue is that the signage says to take Exit 7 and it could be confusing with Waze by default, routing to 8.
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by mishterhaz
@antsgomarching actually the signed and normal route is to get on SR-124 as you described, but take the first exit "to JFK Pkwy / The Mall at Short Hills, Summit, New Jersey" which lets you get on JFK Pkwy towards the mall. It appears convoluted but traffic flows better.

@PleaseDriveFast I agree those segments should be minor hwy instead. I didn't change them straight away as I wanted to discuss here first. Going to make the change and see how routing improves.
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by mishterhaz
Interesting, did not know that.

To start, I changed the relevant segments to MH from minor, as you can see here. I want to see if that changes the routing at all.

Something else to note, the mall's address is technically 1200 Morris Turnpike, Short Hills, NJ 07078 -- which is SR-124, paralleling SR-24 right there. I'm not sure if that is being used when navigating to the default option that appears in Waze when searching for "short hills mall". Have to play with it some more..
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by mishterhaz
So I'm fairly certain it's fixed now. If you go to the livemap and ask for directions to "The Mall at Short Hills" (first hit when you search for it) from anywhere west of it (I just put in 07869 and let it go from there), it correctly navigates now.

I believe this was more due to me moving the location marker to the proper entrance of the mall than the MH changes.

Someone else give it a shot and let me know if it navigates the same.
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Android App ßeta Tester