NJ Wiki Updates (New Page)

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, PhantomSoul

NJ Wiki Updates (New Page)

Postby orbitc » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi NJ Editors,
Please take a look at the following wiki for NJ. The page is still in testing phase. Before making any changes you must propose them here and/or check with your State managers
Thank you
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/New_Jersey/Test
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Re: NJ Wiki Updates (New Page)

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:39 pm

For the to do list, should we also add inspect non-drivable segments and remove junctions from navigable roads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
For New Editors | For NJ Editors
PleaseDriveFast
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Kobes1878 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:51 pm

PleaseDriveFast wrote:For the to do list, should we also add inspect non-drivable segments and remove junctions from navigable roads?

Good idea. I included it as a sub-bullet point under
>Inspect and correct connectivity of necessary junctions.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/New_Jersey#To_do_list

Is that what you had in mind?
State Manager: NJ | Country Manager: USA
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby qwaletee » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:54 pm

In the caeras section, the boilerplate appears above the custom text (which references the list of approved pilot program red light cameras, as well as the no speed cams rule).

I believe the pilot program list and the other NJ-specific facts is the more important information, and is obscured by the boilerplate above it. In fact, the boilerplate references the generic "camera legality" wiki page, which we have no interest in when working in NJ!

I recommend changing this to a custom subsection, leading with the NJ-specific info, and judiciously excising much of the boilerplate.

Anyone care to second this motion?
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby Kobes1878 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47 pm

Seconded. The boilerplate is lengthy with pictures and can be confusing as it is almost completely irrelevant to our State. However, I do think that all editors should be aware of the various types of cameras, in the event that they are editing in another state. Adding the template to the bottom of the section, as opposed to the top may be better.

As it happens the original text (first draft) I had inputted into that section read simply:
Based on information researched at the time this page was created, speed cameras are illegal statewide in New Jersey, and red light cameras are legal statewide in New Jersey.
No other camera types should be mapped in Waze.
Guidance
A list of intersections with installations of red light cameras is available from NJDOT.
NOTE: BRICK TWP HAS MADE ALL RED LIGHT CAMERAS ILLEGAL.
While traffic monitoring devices are employed in the state, no cameras are used for enforcement or issuing citations according to the NJ State Police.

I would change around some of the wording but I prefer the above entry to the present one as it emphasizes the specificity of the state.

Thoughts?
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Kobes1878 wrote:Good idea. I included it as a sub-bullet point under

This works with maybe an addition to the wiki junction style guide.

Also I agree with your edits to the camera section.

State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
For New Editors | For NJ Editors
PleaseDriveFast
State Manager
State Manager

Postby qwaletee » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:45 pm

'm not a fan of generic boilerplate in any case. If there is a bunch of stuff we want editors for every state to know, then just put in a link on the state page reminding everyone to check national guidelines ... don't bring in generic national info into every section at all. Is knowing general camera information important? Yes, but it should be in the USA page and that page should be referenced once in the NJ page.

Is bad red light reporting an epidemic problem? OK, we can add a separate link to that. But anything short of an epic problem doe snot bear repeating across every state page.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby Kobes1878 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:42 pm

PleaseDriveFast wrote:
Kobes1878 wrote:Good idea. I included it as a sub-bullet point under

This works with maybe an addition to the wiki junction style guide.

Also I agree with your edits to the camera section.

Cool. I believe the main US editing guidance link is sufficient. IMO we don't want to have too many additional links on the page if they're already referenced.

So, that's you, me and qwalatee = Three. In case anyones counting.

Any other votes?

Sent from another Galaxy using Tapatalk 2
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Kobes1878 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:06 pm

qwaletee wrote:'m not a fan of generic boilerplate in any case. If there is a bunch of stuff we want editors for every state to know, then just put in a link on the state page reminding everyone to check national guidelines ... don't bring in generic national info into every section at all. Is knowing general camera information important? Yes, but it should be in the USA page and that page should be referenced once in the NJ page.

Is bad red light reporting an epidemic problem? OK, we can add a separate link to that. But anything short of an epic problem doe snot bear repeating across every state page.
Not sure I agree. Fact is every state needs its own wiki and every editor will be referencing his/hers state's wiki first and foremost. I happen to be a big fan of the way Kent set up the Boilerplates. As editors we have the ability to revise or remove any template as we see fit. The templates are there too make our lives easier. They also ensure everyone no matter what state you reside and/or edit in has access to all the important wiki pages.

That said, I do think Guidance as to how editors are to handle cams as they pop up on the map should be made clear - whether to delete/ignore/watch/approve them.

Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby PhantomSoul » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:18 am

Kobes1878 wrote:
qwaletee wrote:'m not a fan of generic boilerplate in any case. If there is a bunch of stuff we want editors for every state to know, then just put in a link on the state page reminding everyone to check national guidelines ... don't bring in generic national info into every section at all. Is knowing general camera information important? Yes, but it should be in the USA page and that page should be referenced once in the NJ page.

Not sure I agree. Fact is every state needs its own wiki and every editor will be referencing his/hers state's wiki first and foremost. I happen to be a big fan of the way Kent set up the Boilerplates. As editors we have the ability to revise or remove any template as we see fit. The templates are there too make our lives easier. They also ensure everyone no matter what state you reside and/or edit in has access to all the important wiki pages.

That said, I do think Guidance as to how editors are to handle cams as they pop up on the map should be made clear - whether to delete/ignore/watch/approve them.

There's a New Jersey section in the USA Camera wiki page, that is linked by the stock text describing NJ's limited RLC use. I think that's a much better place to describe the nuances of NJ's ongoing red-light-camera drama (for lack of a better word). This way, the same information is provided whether you approach the topic through the state wiki or through the USA camera guidelines.

Consequently, reiterating the same information directly on the state page becomes redundant and just becomes another places that needs to be updated should that information change (and I'm pretty sure it will).
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Next

Return to New Jersey