Supporting Road Closures

Moderators: orbitc, PhantomSoul

Re: Supporting Road Closures

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:10 pm

I'm not sure if the closures sheet and the closures layer in WME conflict if a closure is added to both. The best ideal situation would be to extend the WME layer to L4 editors, but I would also, as an SM, want better visibility into all of my state's closures upcoming closures in WME.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Cricket (AT&T) iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:48 pm

PleaseDriveFast wrote:With regard to your second request, I've created a spreadsheet to reference the existing closure sheet and then created a query to only show the NJ closures submitted.

The main US Closure Sheet will still need to be edited with the correct information. My sheet is only meant to be a reference and consolidate all NJ requests so we can easily see what's active, not active, or needs to be reviewed.

I'm not as concerned with past closures as I am about current and upcoming ones. I'm also not a fan of updating two different places; human nature in general makes that prone to breakdown, especially when one place meets the immediate goals much better than the other. If you can enter updates in the WME Closures layer, there really shouldn't be any need to track your closure activity - since the layer never came with a reporting option, and was deliberately limited to higher-level editors because of that.

If not, then the best policy is to continue to fill out the form/spreadsheet; but on the other side of the token, if we continue with this approach, SMs are going to have to make themselves more available to review, follow up with more requests for more information as necessary, and submit them, all on a much more timely basis, because frankly, I'm not sure that's been at an acceptable level lately.

Perhaps this is a conversation for SMs to continue offline?
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Cricket (AT&T) iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Supporting Road Closures

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:12 pm

As brought up in the NJ Google Hangout and in this forum thread, I wanted to revisit the discussion around State Managers being responsible for closures in NJ.

To summarize those conversations, previous guidance had been the closures feature was only limited to State Managers or above (eg, Country Champs, Regional Coordinators ,etc). This has now been opened to all editors L4 or above. Receiving approval from State Managers is needed prior to uploading a closure into WME. However, this decision on state manager approval may need to be revisited to add closures to the map in a timely fashion.

Are there thoughts from the NJ editing community on the closure system and speed to upload closures? Do you feel there should be additional support given all of us here are volunteers?

The consideration is that not all closures would be appropriately uploaded in a timely fashion due to L4 area management not being across the state. Are there any other considerations?
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
For New Editors | For NJ Editors
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:24 pm

qwaletee wrote:2) After that, for each individual closure, provide a PL so SMs can keep track.

Could we use the current Closures Form to keep track of the PLs and request that individuals add a comment to the Closures Sheet stating they have uploaded the closures in WME?
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:36 am

qwaletee wrote:That might lead to someone processing the closure via the sheet, no? Been a while since I used it.

Potentially. My intention is that the L4 creating the closure would upload prior to inputting into the sheet. Then leaving a comment to that row so any SM or CM can view the comment and change the request from pending to complete. This could also serve as a way for the SM or CM to review the closure the AM put in.

There could be some SMs/CMs who do not see the comment and try to process the closure only to find it's already done. This could cause confusion because they would not know who had closed the road since there appears to be no visible Last Closed/Edited history unless the segment had also be changed prior to the closure.

I'd love to here Kobe's perspective since he's been an active user of the closures sheet.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:26 am

I see. I thought batch processing was used for mega events only, and that the closures form and linked sheet were now manual for SMs and Champs.

Since Leokantus and me primarily are the only active 4s in the state, I'll mock up a spreadsheet today to keep track of closures and allow open access to it for comment. I'll then look to request formal permission.

A second thought - would it be so bad to give whichever editor edit access to the closures sheet once said editor receives training and or mini-mentoring on the sheet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:00 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:I'm not sure if the closures sheet and the closures layer in WME conflict if a closure is added to both. The best ideal situation would be to extend the WME layer to L4 editors, but I would also, as an SM, want better visibility into all of my state's closures upcoming closures in WME.

If non-SM L4s could get that exception, it would be ideal. With regard to your second request, I've created a spreadsheet to reference the existing closure sheet and then created a query to only show the NJ closures submitted.

The main US Closure Sheet will still need to be edited with the correct information. My sheet is only meant to be a reference and consolidate all NJ requests so we can easily see what's active, not active, or needs to be reviewed.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:00 pm

With the potential conflict, there seems to be 2 ways to address:

1: Allow non-SM L4 access to the Waze closure sheet and give edits to all applicable Google Documents

2: Use an external source to track closures by non-SM L4s, such as the NJ Closures sheet I created (now with a new tab for L4 Closure Tracking

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby qwaletee » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:08 pm

I'm fine with the possibility of non-SM L4s doing so. However, I would like the following:

1) Each non-SM L4 who wishes to do so should request overall permission using this forum
2) After that, for each individual closure, provide a PL so SMs can keep track.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby qwaletee » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:06 am

That might lead to someone processing the closure via the sheet, no? Been a while since I used it.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Next

Return to New Jersey