County Road designations

Moderators: orbitc, PhantomSoul

Re: County Road designations

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:37 am

I would say whichever source is newer is the one you should go by, but I would also check out other alternate sources the state has, like GIS and FC maps, before going ahead with any mass changes, since the state is notorious for publishing conflicting information.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Cricket (AT&T) iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Just FYI - the local county commissions all roads numbered 600 and above (or roads with county road markers numbered 99 and below in some counties). The tricky roads are the ones numbered between 500 and 599; while those are maintained by the local county, they are commissioned by the state since they almost always continue across county lines.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Cricket (AT&T) iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:23 pm

I'm mobile so can't take a deep look,but the primary road name should follow local signage. That's the visual Wazers see, and expect to hear in TTS instructions, and national guidance supports this.

This means a local name, such as Easton Ave, may be the primary name instead or CR-527. You would put the county route number as an alt name, as county route shields are a feature planned for a future release.

I'll take a deeper dive tonight and provide more specific guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
For New Editors | For NJ Editors
PleaseDriveFast

Postby qwaletee » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:48 pm

Old topic, new reply.

The guidance above is correct, but doesn't fully answer the question. We use state and county route numbers throughout their route, no matter what. The only thing that changes is that where the numbered route goes primarily by a different name in some areas, the route number moves to an alt name, and the other name goes to primary.

therefore, it is always important to know exactly where each terminus of the route lies.

George's suggestion, of preferring the most recently-published spec, is the only useful answer I see here. You can also contact county DOT for clarification. It is county DOT that is responsible for the route designation and path, though NJDOT is the publisher.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

County Road designations

Postby RobertCarsey » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:13 pm

I came across this interesting scenario this morning -- I'm not sure if the map deserves correction for this, but thought I'd post just to get a little discussion on it.

According to the Middlesex County functional classification, CR-695 (Middlesex) is mapped properly. The road signs indicate that CR-695 goes from Rt130 to Rt130 (is sorta parallels the highway).

However, I was looking at the Straight Line Diagram for this road which is much more detailed and it depicts CR-695 beginning at the end of CR-694 like so here. I've asked NJDOT about this as there seem to be two conflicting documents regarding this.

So the question is, should the map reflect the signage/functional map. Or should the map reflect the SLD which seems to be more correct than the functional map (because its more detailed than the functional map)?

My guess is signage always wins ?
RobertCarsey

Return to New Jersey