Lyndhurst, NJ Shopping Plaza

Post by MacUzrNJ
I'm new, so I hope I'm explaining this correctly. On Valley Brook Avenue in Lyndhurst, between Delafield and Grant Avenues resides Lyndhurst Towne Centre Shopping Plaza. I made it an area tonight.

However, I've been trying for 2 months now to solve an issue that I can't put my finger on. Within this Plaza there are exactly 15 businesses that I have identified, marked and supplied accurate HNs for each shop. The Plaza is marked with accurate PLRs. Now here's the strange part:

Only ONE of these stores, Mr. Bruno's Pizza (439 Valley Brook Ave), is identified in Waze by turning off the main roads Primary or Street and takes you to the door. All other stores "drop you" somewhere on Valley Brook and do NOT take you "into" the Plaza and to the physical address. Why?

That's what I'm trying to figure out how to rectify. I mean, it doesn't even tell you to turn INTO the Plaza (except the pizza joint). It's absolutely crazy. How can I fix this or is this a higher level issue?

This evening Bigbear3764 suggested I contact my SM, but I figure I'd start here.
MacUzrNJ

POSTER_ID:17187668

Send a message
Last edited by MacUzrNJ on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___
Pete Crosta
MacUzrNJ <---yeah, I use Macintosh computers :o
Nutley, NJ

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.” – Dr. Forest E. Witcraft, Teacher/Scholar

Post by antgoesmarching
Hey there MacUzr! Have you tried deleting your search history and re-searching the places? Waze will save previous routes on your device which may be causing it to not reflect the proper routing you are looking for. I'm thinking this should resolve this for you. I just plugged in TJMaxx Lyndhurst, NJ and it took me to the PLR in front of the store.

On a side note, we wouldn't generally represent shopping centers like this as area places. The place point setups for the businesses looked good though! If you are interested, I can send you an invite to our NJ editors google hangout. Great group of other editors to learn from and provides an opportunity for support on issues such as this. If you're Interested, send me a PM with your email address and I will send you over an invite. Have a good one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
antgoesmarching
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cshinn89
Do you know how to create a permalink (PL)? If so please post a PL to this area it would be helpful in finding the area you are discussing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
cshinn89
Send a message
--Chris
Pa, NJ, and NY Editor as well as
Thailand RM
AM Pike County PA

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/3/3b/Live-wazer.png

MacUzrNJ
Send a message
___
Pete Crosta
Nutley, NJ

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.” – Dr. Forest E. Witcraft, Teacher/Scholar

Post by MacUzrNJ
I guess what boggles my mind is trying to understand why one business search will take me INTO the shopping center to the front door, but otherwise, other addresses just dump me somewhere on the main road (Valley Brook). That's what I'd like to comprehend. If I search for "Mr. Bruno's Pizzeria" it takes me to the front door. However, if I want to navigate to the place that is PHYSICALLY next door (Dunkin' Donuts), it puts me in the middle of Valley Brook. Why? Perhaps understanding why it does it for one and not the other will give me a clearer understanding of solving or NOT solving this dilemma.

As I've indicated earlier, I've identified the HN of each of the 14 or so vendors in that plaza. As I confirm each store in WME, there is a correct HN that I placed for each. Here is Mr. Bruno's Pizza and the other shops and services are correctly labeled, too:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... ilter=true
MacUzrNJ
Send a message
___
Pete Crosta
Nutley, NJ

Post by MacUzrNJ
@qwaletee - easy. Just search for Dunkin' Donuts at that location. Further, you can search for the HN for Mr. Bruno's (379 Valley Brook Ave). Neither of these two recommendations takes you INTO the plaza. I use Waze to get into plenty of stores in plazas and strip malls, but this one fails.
MacUzrNJ
Send a message
___
Pete Crosta
Nutley, NJ

Post by MacUzrNJ
qwaletee wrote:* The five Lyndhurst locations - some of which have a pin icon, some a DD icon, none with an AD label:
1 Dunkin' Donuts / 425 Valley Brook Avenue, Lyndhurst, NJ (pin icon, position 2 in results list)
2 Dunkin Donuts / 425 Valley Brook Ave, Lyndhurst, NJ (DD icon, 3)
3 Dunkin Donuts / 437 Valley Brook Ave, Lyndhurst, NJ (pin, 5)
4 Dunkin' Donuts / 425 Valley Brook Avenue, Lyndhurst, NJ (pin, 12)
5 Dunkin Donuts / 425 Valley Brook Ave, Lyndhurst, NJ (pin, 3)

Note that some have the apostrophe in Dunkin' and some do not, some spells out Avenue in full, while some abbreviate Ave, most have address 425, but one has 437. All are the same distance in tenths of mile to my location.

The single Waze place in WME is missing the apostrophe and uses Ave, with an address of 437. Clearly, #3 (5th result) is the WME place.
Thank you for that VERY helpful feedback. I was the person who added the CORRECT physical address (#3 above, 437). That is the number displayed on the door of the establishment. However, when you search for the business, it INCORRECTLY states (takes you) to 425 which is not the address. I am "guessing" the post office address for the Lyndhurst Towne Plaza is 425 and that is what "corporate Dunkin' Donuts" stamped on all things related to this particular venue. It is probably something we cannot change. I just thought it was extremely unorthodox that of all the stores I have physically added to WME, I can plug in their name and navigate to the front door. When I put in this vendor, it doesn't take me there and, worse yet, when I put in the physical address (437 Valley Brook Ave) it doesn't even get me INTO the Plaza!! In fact, neither 425 OR 437 get me INTO the Plaza. Weird.
MacUzrNJ
Send a message
___
Pete Crosta
Nutley, NJ

Post by PhantomSoul
This looks good right now, but there are a couple of caveats to consider:

If you search for a store's address, you will be matched to the HN (house number), if it exists. For HN-based destinations, Waze can only navigate to a point in the road that the house number is on. So for example, if you navigated to a 444 Valley Brook Ave, Waze would only be able to take you to a point on the actual Valley Brook Ave itself that is associated with HN 444, regardless of whether the address itself may be set back across a larger parking lot.

If Waze cannot adequately match an address-based search to an HN, it forwards your search terms to Google.

If you search for the store's name, Waze will try to match it against its Places. If it finds a match, one of 2 things will happen. If the match is a point place, Waze will navigate you to the closest point on the closest drivable segment, regardless of whether it is a public road, parking lot, etc., or regardless of what any of those segments are called. If the match is an area place, it has a designated "stop point" that Waze will navigate you to just as described in the previous sentence.

If Waze cannot adequately match your search terms against its Places database, it forwards your search terms to Google.

One last note: because details are unclear about what exactly causes search terms to get forwarded to Google, whenever I make corrections to a place in WME, I always run the same search on Google Maps and make sure that the location of all the results I get are both relevant and in the correct place. Otherwise, you risk getting pollution in your Waze search results from bad Google data, even after fixing up Waze, and its not always obvious in the Waze app when bad Places information is coming from Google.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Wow, that is some hardcore auditing...

I would have searched both my phone and live map for Dunkin' Donuts in Waze. Observe results. Are they what/where I expect? If no, then fix. Repeat until I don't see any more problems in WME. Then I repeat in Google Maps and review all its result points to be in locations compatible with Waze. Report (Send Feedback - I find it to be more effective than Google Mapmaker) any errors along with correction suggestions and repeat until you don't see anything out of place.

It's a process that often takes more than one sitting, but it's really the only way to ultimately screen against bad data pollution from Google.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Hi, Pete,

To help us help you, we need the EXACT SEARCH TERM that you used to get an unsuccessful result. PhantomSoul gave an excellent overview of how Waze does destination searching in general. But if you want to solve your exact problem, we need to duplicate what you are doing, and see if we can get the same result, then analyze that result to see whether it is good, bad, or ugly... and why.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues