Proposed split of E-bound and W-bound John F Kennedy Pkwy

Post by Bromsby
John F Kennedy parkway in Millburn and Livingston, NJ is a divided highway similar to SR-22. Addresses on the opposite side are often (but not always) not accessible. The UR at -74.35812 40.74094 illustrates the problem. This could be resolved by splitting the road in to E-bound and W-bound roads. Simply disallowing impossible turns is not enough because it is easy for Waze to drop a user on the wrong side of the road and end the navigation.

Discuss.

- Bromsby
Summit, NJ
Bromsby
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:17192538

Send a message

Post by Bromsby
Here is the link to the road in question:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... ueFilter=0

Some of the major destinations on the road, like the Short Hills Mall, allow turns into the site from either side. Quite a few do not. There are no jug handles or places to U turn at all really, though it is possible to take an off ramp at one spot and go over the highway and then take an on ramp back. In any case, it is quite possible for someone to get dumped by Waze on the wrong side and then be forced to drive a long way before it is possible to turn around, even if they do figure out how to do so. Also, a UR was already entered by someone who got dropped on the wrong side. Those are the coordinates I copied earlier.

I do not know where the NJ hangout is, but I will have a look around.
Bromsby
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Bromsby
I am a new editor and will obviously defer to your experience. I only posted this thread because of the UR that I linked. However, I don't understand how anyone will be able to fix this issue without dividing the road. As you can see from the UR, the OP was driving west on JFK and his navigation instructions ended at node 53338882 which Waze thinks leads right into 150 JFK (labeled as Apex Systems). However, it is on the wrong side of the divider with no way to get across. Another complex of buildings on the opposite side of the road can be seen which would have the same problem when driving east.

Isn't the marker on the access road because that is the point where the OP hit send on his phone?

I will post a reply on the UR and find the street that should be a parking lot road.
Bromsby
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by JB15TM
A permalink will help get to the spot faster. Have you done one?

How are the openings for turns? Are U Turns allowed there?

I'm sure others will weigh in but I'll take a look tonight when I get on my Mac. Are you in the NJ hangout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JB15TM
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message

Post by JB15TM
Thanks for the link. I'm familiar with the road, but needed to see it - just to be sure - before responding.

In this case, dividing the road is not necessary. The entire section north of Parsonage Hill is limited access - with no homes or businesses. Also, since the road is tightly mapped with only a Jersey Barrier, it's better to keep the road as a single segment rather than having two parallel segments close together.

The southern section also has no homes. All the businesses that I can tell have proper driveways and turn access off the parkway - - but should be verified for accuracy. We can easily deal with routing without complicating the map.

In the specific case of the UR, the marker is placed off the parkway on an access road that should be routing to the building. I don't know why the routing stops on the parkway because the marker is clearly visible at the building. But I'll pass this on for investigation. In any case, this isn't a "dividing" problem.

I'm also sending you a PM (private message) with editing links and more information about the hangout. From the top of the forum here you will see a button (.. new messages) so click that and it goes to your message box.

Two things - since I cannot edit there.
1 - You can respond to the UR that we are investigating the routing problem.
2 - The segments linked below are "street" and they should be "parking lot road".

Look for my message soon!
JB
JB15TM
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message

Post by JB15TM
Well, I'm no expert. And it's good to ask questions. Also, I'm not totally ruling out the need to divide - possibly - the southern section. I'd want some more experienced people to look at this.

What causes problems - a lot - is that Waze will use google address pins for search results. Often, these pins are tagged to the named road. Other times they will route a side road. In this case, yes, even though the search pin for the 150 JFK address is on the building, the actual route ends on the road.

There are different ways we can fix this. The Place Point (PP) already there for Apex routes correctly. We prefer that users search for businesses by name since those searches generate better routes. Especially with larger complexes, the address pin from google often routes to an incorrect spot.

Anyway - we'll get you into the hangout. Lots of good people there.
JB
JB15TM
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message

Post by JB15TM
Hi Q. I lost the edit area and missed the last comment by PS. He may be right about HN searches - I didn't recall homes there but some business addresses might have HN. I can take a longer look tomorrow. But if a split is needed, someone else will need to do it.
JB

JB15TM
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message

Post by JB15TM
Q. Alfredo edited the JFK last week and made the split. As I learn more about how people search, we get a lot of business searches by address - as George mentioned.

JB15TM
Master Raider
Master Raider
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
House-Number- (HN-) based search results could navigate to the wrong side of the road, especially if you're approach to the HN is faster/shorter to the wrong side of the road. This cannot be remedied by simply disabling left turns along the divided road, as not all destination points will have mapped parking lots/driveways. Besides, parking lot roads are irrelevant to HN-based search results, since they can only take you to a point on the road they're on (John F Kennedy Pkwy) on this point, so you statistically have a 1 out of 2 chance of being routed to the wrong side of the road this way.

The only way to ensure that HN-based search results do not route you to the wrong side of the road is to split the road, and make sure all its HNs are snapped to the correct side of the road. However, I'm not sure what your editing rank is, Bromsby, but since you called yourself a new editor, splitting a road may be a bit above your skill level, as that's usually an L3+ activity.

@JB15TM: Do you know how to split roads? Maybe you and Bromsby can work on this together?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues