Incorrect verbal instructions

Moderators: orbitc, PhantomSoul

Incorrect verbal instructions

Postby MacUzrNJ » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:26 pm

I created a UR for a spot that I have driven daily (Delafield Ave, Lyndhurst, NJ - to State Route 3E - to State Route 17N). I don't know how to repair/fix this. There is a VERBAL INSTRUCTION as you approach the T intersection of Delafield & Rutherford Aves, to "take NJ Turnpike". The problem is at that traffic light, there is no signage that points to the NJ Turnpike. The ONLY signage is Route 3 E.

So the verbal message SHOULD say, "cross Rutherford Avenue and take the entrance ramp to State Route 3 East" and make no mention of the NJ Tpk since someone not familiar with the area would not know if the NJ Tpk is a left turn or a right turn on Rutherford Ave.

How does one go about rectifying these incorrect verbal instructions??

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... ilter=true

Pete/Nutley, NJ
___
Pete Crosta
MacUzrNJ <---yeah, I use Macintosh computers :o
Nutley, NJ

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.” – Dr. Forest E. Witcraft, Teacher/Scholar
MacUzrNJ

Re: Incorrect verbal instructions

Postby MacUzrNJ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Thank you for the corrected PL, @skybernard. Yes. The problem actually is this: if a person wants to navigate from anywhere using Delafield to, say, Route 17 or New Jersey Turnpike, at the "T" intersection of Rutherford Avenue and Delafield Avenue the verbal USED to say to turn toward the New Jersey Turnpike (now, it's turned off - no verbal at that traffic light). At that traffic light the signage only refers to Route 3! It shows Route 3E and a straight arrow (to cross Rutherford) and there's a sign for trucks using Route 3 which I think takes them right on Rutherford Avenue. Anyway when you get to that corner and a person from out of the area is looking for some signage to indicate the New Jersey Turnpike, someone new to the area won't know if they should turn left or right at the last minute because they may not realize that 3E takes them to the New Jersey Turnpike or, in my case of commuting daily, to Route 17!
___
Pete Crosta
MacUzrNJ <---yeah, I use Macintosh computers :o
Nutley, NJ

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.” – Dr. Forest E. Witcraft, Teacher/Scholar
MacUzrNJ

Postby qwaletee » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:01 am

The discussion above was a good one. The general case is:

a) Road "ends" going into a straight ahead ramp
b) There are no other relatively straight paths (i.e., any other options at the intersection are full turns, not slight curves)
c) Because of a+b, the ramp entrance gets no instruction, since Waze sees it as a continuation
d) Problems!

Problem 1: The user is expecting an enter instruction but there is none
Problem 2: Ramps often have a sharp bend, so it would seem like there's a keep or turn instruction, even if we could accept problem #1
Problem 3: If there are any relatively close by exits after entering the highways, then when a driver gets a route to enter the highway and then exit shortly thereafter, the driver may actualy be given an exit or keep instruction at the entrance!

General solutions:

1) If the ramp has a strong bend to the right, and there is no other right turn at the intersection, you can turn the ramp into a turn right by changing the angle, possibly via mDL. (Same applies to left instead of right, but this occurs less frequently.)

2) if the ramp has no strong bend, but it is not exactly directly ahead, we can force a keep instruction using some hacks, but you should only do this with guidance from state or regional management, and you should document it with a [NOTE]

3) If the ramp is really dead ahead, you may have no good solution, though you can consider additional hackery to force an instruction coming off the ramp instead of coming on to it for solving Problem #3, at the expense of giving a completely superfluous instruction that has no benefit for drivers not taking the immediate exit (which is probably the vast majority of drivers).

The hack would typically consist of:

i. Putting a small bend in the direction the road goes
ii. Adding a tiny (about 5 feet) stub pointed in the opposite direction
iii. Setting up road type and naming rules to force the instruction (see PROMPTS and WAYFINDER topics in the wiki).
iv. This may require breaking the ramp into two segments or breaking the segments leading into into two segments.
v. If you haven't figured it out by now, this whole thing is really a n advanced topic, and the hack especially requires a lot of WME mastery
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby skbernard1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Correct PL updated below:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-74.11635&lat=40.81839&layers=2981&zoom=6&segments=31814978,68866380&mapProblemFilter=0&mapUpdateRequestFilter=0&venueFilter=1&update_requestsFilter=true&problemsFilter=true

I think the issue here was that no actual voice command was given at the intersection in question because the best continuation was technically a straight as the intersection is set up

what was probably heard was the next set of instructions to "keep right to NJ Turnpike" likely preceded by a "in half a mile" (or some other distance)

i dont think anything can really be done here that would allow the intersection in question to give a voice command that wouldnt just confuse the entirety of the intersection
skbernard1
Area Manager
Area Manager

Return to New Jersey