Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

No Warning of Turn in Bernards Township

Post by DanHoganNinja
I frequently exit I-287 north at Exit 26A (Mount Airy Road) and take Mount Airy Road southbound for less than 1000 feet before making a left turn on to Lake Road.

Waze never gives the usual warning of the upcoming left turn onto Lake Road until I'm at the intersection.

It's not an issue for me as I know the left turn is coming, but I wanted to point this out as no doubt there are other Wazers who can't react in enough time to make the turn.
DanHoganNinja

POSTER_ID:17387519

Send a message

Post by aBshield
Hi there and thanks for reaching out. Just to confirm, everything visually looks fine, but you don't receive an audio announcement for the upcoming left onto Lake Rd?

I don't see anything immediately wrong with the map. Waze is known to omit certain audio announcements if there are long and/or a rapid succession of announcements that need to play to avoid being overly chatty or lagging the maneuvers. While the distance between the maneuvers isn't anything extraordinary here, I'd further venture a theory that the exit announcement is quite long. It'll take Jane (TTS) several seconds to read off "Exit 26A: CR-525 S / Mt. Airy Rd S / Liberty Corner." By the time the announcement is finished, the Waze app is probably detecting that there's insufficient time to audibly warn of the upcoming turn.

Along those lines, are all these turns listed on the big screen sign for Exit 26A? Street view of the sign is fairly current, but I thought I'd ask.
  • CR-525 S
  • Mt. Airy Rd S
  • Liberty Corner
While a possible approach could be to shorten the description of the exit, that would probably need to be discussed on whether that makes sense to accommodate specific cases like this. The decision becomes easy if the current description is no longer valid, however.

Here's a permalink for my fellow editors. I don't have editable area here myself; just out of range.
aBshield
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message