Cities

Post by PhantomSoul
How is everyone working with NJ roads handling the City Name field for roads? Are we going by mailing address and zip codes? Or are we going by municipal boundaries?

Does anyone know what the intended purpose of the city field is? If its to locate addresses, I would imagine we would go by zip codes and mailing address. Most other mapping systems seem to go by municipal boundaries. Then there's also township vs town name...

What does everyone think?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:11269522

Send a message

Post by HenrySinger
On January 1, 2013 Princeton Borough (The Borough of Princeton) was formally merged Princeton Township in New Jersey. The new municipality is known simply as "Princeton". The map references should be updated accordingly. Also, I believe that the references to "Princeton North" and "Greater Princeton Area" should be replaced by "Princeton".
HenrySinger
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
It's also used for the city name in traffic reports.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
HenrySinger wrote:On January 1, 2013 Princeton Borough (The Borough of Princeton) was formally merged Princeton Township in New Jersey. The new municipality is known simply as "Princeton". The map references should be updated accordingly. Also, I believe that the references to "Princeton North" and "Greater Princeton Area" should be replaced by "Princeton".
If there's no objection to this, we can have this done from the back end instantly. Anyone?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
If you search the forums, you will find plenty of threads on this topic. The answer is, there is no good answer. Currently the field is just to show the municipality on the client map. They haven't revealed to us if it will be used for address look-ups in the future.

IMHO, the best thing is to use the municipal borders, since they are clearly defined in NJ and generally unchanging. If I find areas with CDP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census-designated_place already in place I mostly leave them alone, just try and bring them in some sense of order, as they tend to migrate.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Fine by me.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Your Choices are Foo Township or Foo Twp. I've been using Township in PA, orbitc prefers Twp. There is no right answer, just be consistent.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Works for me. There's other "Greater XXXX Area" places in central NJ that need fixing as well.

Have we come to a consensus about naming townships, specifically if there is an unincorporated town within one that the area may better be known by?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
I like Twp because it's shorter, well-known, and less clutter on the map. However, I don't think Twp is read correctly as "township" by the TTS, for what it's worth. Not sure if that's by design or a bug or even if a city name would ever be read out by the TTS...
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message