Jughandles

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Jughandles

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue May 21, 2013 4:38 am

PhantomSoul wrote:If the cross street is a primary street, then the standard at-grade connector rule says to use primary street for the connector, regardless of the main road type. Would that primary street fork approaching the connector say "exit right" or "keep right"?

As noted above, the "exit" rule only applies to highways and freeways.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue May 21, 2013 4:19 am

If the cross street is a primary street, then the standard at-grade connector rule says to use primary street for the connector, regardless of the main road type. Would that primary street fork approaching the connector say "exit right" or "keep right"? With jughandle connectors, that really needs to say "exit right" - something that can only be consistently produced by using ramps, if I understand correctly.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Sun May 19, 2013 9:39 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It looks like "lower type" must be limited to non-Freeway and non-Highway. Streets, ramps, primary street off of a highway/freeway will give an "exit" but other freeway or highway do not?

That's what it looks like to me. This is consistent with the "primary road"/"not a primary road" distinction waze set forth in the How Waze determines turn / keep / exit maneuvers document. "Primary roads" were defined as minor highways, major highways and freeways.
4. if s-in is a primary road and s-out is not a primary road, the instruction is: 'EXIT RIGHT'

This condition covers going from freeway/highway to street/ramp, but not highway to highway.
The default condition is:
6. if none of the above conditions is met, the instruction is: 'KEEP RIGHT'

This seems to be the result if the highway to highway maneuver is not the best continuation (i.e. you get an instruction).
CBenson

Postby jasonh300 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:12 am

I found and posted an example of a minor to a minor that gives an "exit" a while back. I'll try to find and test it again.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun May 19, 2013 1:00 am

CBenson wrote:Alan amended his theory to say any lower road type will cause an "exit" instruction but that is not correct in my experience either. A minor highway off of a major highway at a lesser angle gives me a "keep right" instruction.

The bottom line is that using ramp type has everything to do with getting an exit instruction. If you use a major highway or minor highway type for the jughandle, I do not get an exit instruction (if the main road is a freeway or highway). If you use a ramp for the jughandle, I do get an exit instruction.

It looks like "lower type" must be limited to non-Freeway and non-Highway. Streets, ramps, primary street off of a highway/freeway will give an "exit" but other freeway or highway do not?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Sat May 18, 2013 10:35 am

jasonh300 wrote:From what I've seen, anything off of a highway at a lesser angle will generate "exit" in tts if its to the right side (NA and other countries that drive on the right) rather than a "keep". It doesn't matter if the road coming off of the highway is a Ramp or not.

That's not how it works for me.

Only streets, including primary streets, and ramps cause an exit instruction off a highway at a lesser angle on the right side. This is why we can do highway splits. If "anything" at lesser angle generated an "exit" instruction you would get a "keep left" and an "exit right" at a highway split, which you don't.

Alan amended his theory to say any lower road type will cause an "exit" instruction but that is not correct in my experience either. A minor highway off of a major highway at a lesser angle gives me a "keep right" instruction.

The bottom line is that using ramp type has everything to do with getting an exit instruction. If you use a major highway or minor highway type for the jughandle, I do not get an exit instruction (if the main road is a freeway or highway). If you use a ramp for the jughandle, I do get an exit instruction.
CBenson

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat May 18, 2013 5:21 am

Yeah, we covered that a few posts up.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:10 am

From what I've seen, anything off of a highway at a lesser angle will generate "exit" in tts if its to the right side (NA and other countries that drive on the right) rather than a "keep". It doesn't matter if the road coming off of the highway is a Ramp or not.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat May 18, 2013 4:41 am

PhantomSoul wrote:As far as jughandles are concerned, this latest development would, to me, support keeping the ramp type, since an "exit" TTS instruction is undoubtedly more appropriate when approaching one regardless of what type of road it connects to or from.

But ramp has nothing to do with it saying exit.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Sat May 18, 2013 3:08 am

As far as jughandles are concerned, this latest development would, to me, support keeping the ramp type, since an "exit" TTS instruction is undoubtedly more appropriate when approaching one regardless of what type of road it connects to or from.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion