Standards for the Naming of Routes in NJ

Post by orbitc
NJ editors,
The standard for the naming of US Routes was changed to:
US-xx (from US Hwy xx)
in January 2012 in order to save precious map real estate and to shorten TTS delivery time.

US Highways should:
  • be named according to the US-xx convention,
  • include directional indicators (i.e., "US-46 W") for all split portions of the route,
  • include local names where appropriate (i.e., when signed primarily using the local name; when
  • home/business addresses are given using a local name)
  • be navigationally sound, including all intersections and turnarounds, and
  • have, when access is partially- or fully-limited, properly-named ramps according to signage.
For example

INTERSTATE:
  • I-80 E
    I-287 N
US HIGHWAYS:
  • US-46 W (Split "1-way" segments)
    US-206 (Unsplit "2-way" segments)
STATE ROUTES:
Try to keep local names as primary and put below as alternate name.
  • SR-17 S (Split "1-way" segments)
    SR-27 (Unsplit "2-way" segments)
  • Also Acceptable (but be consistent):
    • State Rte 27
      NJ-27
COUNTY ROUTES:
Keep local names as primary and put below as alternate name.
  • CR-511 S (Split "1-way" segments)
    CR-511 (Unsplit "2-way" segments)
ONRAMP:
  • to I-80 W / Delaware Water Gap
    to I-287 N / Morristown / Mahwah
OFFRAMP:
  • numbered exit: Exit 8C: Monmouth Blvd
    numbered exit with multiple names: Exit 135: Clark / Westfield
    non-numbered exit: Exit to US-9 S / Lakewood
Caution!
  • You need to have Level 5 to be able to change most of these highway names
  • You must finish what you started...NEVER leave it incomplete.
Any questions please contact me (orbitc)
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:8359316

Send a message
Last edited by orbitc on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by mishterhaz
PleaseDriveFast wrote:Would the On-ramp/off-ramp logic apply to US higways exiting to primary roads via a ramp? There's a few instances in my neighborhood and commute that could be better to let users know they have to exit or look for an exit lane.

One example is here: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT since a new lane is created to exit off 22.

What have others done across the state or country?
My general rule of thumb there (since this is an at-grade connection) is that unless there is a Big Green Sign that provides lots of information for that specific turn/jughandle, it should be the roadtype of the road it's connecting to. In this case, "Primary Street".

Here's an example in DE where we set ramp types on at grade connectors because of the BGS in the area that provides more information:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=68340806

And a Google Street View to give you an idea of what the intersection looks like:

But, there's a lot of debate on how to properly handle jughandles and other at-grade connections in the editor: viewtopic.php?f=276&t=48389
mishterhaz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Area Manager: Northern DE, NJ and MD
Android App ßeta Tester

Post by orbitc
txemt wrote:I love stopping halfway and coming back 2 days later to figure out where I started.
better?
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by PesachZ
I added the following guidance to the NJ wiki page under the road names section dealing with ON RAMPS as per OrbitC.
  • to US-1 S TRUCK / US-9 S TRUCK / Port Newark / Newark Airport
    • The TRUCK (or any other) qualifier is added after each highway name, even though the US-1&9 run concurrent in this stretch. This is done so as not to confuse unfamiliar drivers who may otherwise think the TRUCK qualifier only applies to US-9.
  • to US-1 S / US-9 S / Raymond Blvd
    • For consistency any time there are concurrent US or state highways the name should be listed individually (not as "to US-1-9 S").
To keep the map consistent, if you see any ramps not using this guidance please update them. If you can't update it, please ask an appropriate editor to unlock/update for you.
Thank you

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/gc.pngNYhttps://j.mp/1xPiWC8https://j.mp/1C9mUY2
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum

Post by PhantomSoul
PleaseDriveFast wrote:Would the On-ramp/off-ramp logic apply to US higways exiting to primary roads via a ramp? There's a few instances in my neighborhood and commute that could be better to let users know they have to exit or look for an exit lane.

One example is here: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT since a new lane is created to exit off 22.

It has to do with 3 things, really:

1. Is the main intersection at-grade or grade-separated (i.e., overpass)? If grade-separated, then always ramp.
2. Is there a big green sign (BGS) at the connector's entrance that would need to be suppressed from the segment's display on the map to keep it from looking weird? If yes, then ramp.
3. Is the connector set back from the junction far enough feel like you might be driving on an interchange ramp had there actually been an overpass there, like many of New Jersey's jughandles are? If yes, I've been setting those to ramps as well, mainly to maintain consistency, graphically, with the similar connectors that have any kind of GS (green sign).
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
PhantomSoul wrote:

It has to do with 3 things, really:

1. Is the main intersection at-grade or grade-separated (i.e., overpass)? If grade-separated, then always ramp.
2. Is there a big green sign (BGS) at the connector's entrance that would need to be suppressed from the segment's display on the map to keep it from looking weird? If yes, then ramp.
3. Is the connector set back from the junction far enough feel like you might be driving on an interchange ramp had there actually been an overpass there, like many of New Jersey's jughandles are? If yes, I've been setting those to ramps as well, mainly to maintain consistency, graphically, with the similar connectors that have any kind of GS (green sign).
I actually have a follow-up consideration to this. When a jughandle connects to road whose type is street or less, the jughandle segment (or all of its connector path segments, when applicable) should also be an unnamed street. Otherwise, when you're driving down the expressway with auto-zoom turned on, and streets disappear at higher speeds, it will look like you have ramps off the expressway that connect to nothing - which is just plain weird.

BGSes don't appear to be an issue here, because I have yet to see a green sign at a jughandle that connects to a regular street that has any names on it other than the connecting road name, which is sufficiently read by TTS using unnamed street segments.

For jughandles that connect to Primary Streets or higher, the ramp type is fine, since those road types do not disappear at wider zoom levels and their entrances typically have a green sign with at least 2 distinct names on them that need to be separated with a slash (/).

What does everyone else think?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PleaseDriveFast
Would the On-ramp/off-ramp logic apply to US higways exiting to primary roads via a ramp? There's a few instances in my neighborhood and commute that could be better to let users know they have to exit or look for an exit lane.

PleaseDriveFast
Send a message

Post by txemt
I love stopping halfway and coming back 2 days later to figure out where I started.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.