Post by jondrush
Hi, I'm back from vacation. What I really need is this,
-Current name or names, if there are more than one on the map, like Egg Harbor Twp. (fixed, BTW)
-Desired name
-Permalink centered on the current names
If it is the only municipality or CDP with that name in NJ, then the proper convention is no type at all. If you know where the conflicting name is, send me a permalink to that location too. I need to research them before I can submit them to Waze.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
No, I meant are there any CDPs with that name on the map already? That would cause a conflict. We shouldn't be randomly adding CDPs.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
If there is no conflict, the proper convention for Mansfield is just "Mansfield", the Twp is dropped. That's what I need to know, if there is no conflict in the state, there is no need for the Twp type to be appended.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Thanks, that's the level of detail I need. I'm real busy this week, I'll try to get to these next week.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
By definition, a CDP is not incorporated.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Here in PA there are some CPDs that are much more recognized than the incorporated name. To the point where people look at you funny if you use the incorporated name. So my strong preference is to use the incorporated name, but we just needed to bow to the will of the people in some cases. :)
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Sorry PhantomSoul, a national standard just won't work. There are way too many variations state to state to even try to make a national standard. Give up that crusade.

A little of my philosophy. Start with the basic principles. Why do we look at a map? We want to know:
-when in unfamiliar territory, where are we?
-where is the place we want to go?
-how do we get there?

In my humble opinion, the city polygon layer is there to answer the first question only. Question two can only be answered effectively using address databases maintained by waze, google and any other consolidators of geodata. For any given location, there can be as many as 4-5 "place" names that can be applied and searched for. We can't even approach the breadth and depth of of their collection powers from behind our keyboards. The data is also ever changing, and my preference is that we editors spend our time on work that lasts a long time. Of course answer three is what we all help to do every day when we make the Waze map the best representation of roads in the world.

Thus, when I try to fix the city polygons, I'm only trying to help the Waze users who follow me answer question one. If it happens to improve the answers to question two, so be it. I'm glad to contribute.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Or you could just lift the PA standard en-masse and be done with it.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Like I said earlier in this thread, don't worry about postal searches, you will never stay ahead of them. Let Google worry about postal searches.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message