Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Standards for Naming Townships in NJ

Post by orbitc
"Twp" abbreviation will be the new standard for the townships in NJ when needed to fix conflicting city names. Normal practice is not to add any suffix to non-conflicting names.

Eg: Egg Harbor Township ---> Egg Harbor Twp
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:8359316

Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by MinionsWeb
More for the fire.
I am in this issue - again - due to a user issue, an address in Flanders (unincorporated) that is part of Mount Olive (incorporated).
viewtopic.php?f=622&t=104468#p866717

This was similar to discussion brought here from the Martinsville(unincorporated)/Bridgewater(incorporated) thread
viewtopic.php?f=622&t=102990#p858308

Gas on the fire - I grew up in Short HIlls (unincorporated) which is in Millburn (incorporated)
We follow Short Hills designation.

I hate to say this but there may be hundreds or examples of this same thing in Nj (Budd Lake also in Mount Olive for off the top of head example).

This is 4 examples in the less than a month I have been editing.

Sorry for the fuel.
MinionsWeb
Send a message
Just a guy who wants to rely on a GOOD map and BETTER directions.
No...not that left....the OTHER left!
Corey aka MinionsWeb

Post by MinionsWeb
Kobes1878 wrote:There are no unincorporated places in NJ
I just presented 4 examples, isn't this an error?
MinionsWeb
Send a message
Corey aka MinionsWeb

Post by MinionsWeb
The back end solution would be the cleanest.
populating dbs, creating associative views on a decade basis with minor changes at those increments should be relatively painless.

On another note, using primary/secondary naming conventions is fine for streets but is not available to places (points/areas) or PLRs, so granular searches will yield inherent error due to lack of available data, yes?
MinionsWeb
Send a message
Corey aka MinionsWeb

Post by MReiser
If you can link me to the Hammonton, NJ airstrip (or just tell me approximately where it is) I can change it. I can also hunt for it but the Hammonton area is pretty big.
MReiser
Send a message
https://j.mp/1ofo6nc https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... 00k_4c.png
Delaware State Manager / Level 4 editor - Philadelphia metro
Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4.2) w/ Waze v3.9.0.0

Post by MReiser
LeoKantus wrote:CBenson had PM'ed me a bit earlier, and though I had made mention of it, I derped out and forgot to add the permalink. If you or him would like to take care of it, it's here. I had the Cities layer on when I was scanning the state for all the "XX Township" labels, and fortunately it stuck out.
No problem...I fixed it. Thanks for the heads up!
MReiser
Send a message

Post by MReiser
orbitc wrote:
MReiser4670 wrote:If you can link me to the Hammonton, NJ airstrip (or just tell me approximately where it is) I can change it. I can also hunt for it but the Hammonton area is pretty big.
If I understood correctly, Jon was going to submit these to Waze. Waze could change these in the server side.
jondrush wrote:I can request the changes in bulk from Waze if you give me a list of what needs to be changed.
I saw that, but since it was only one road segment and the user had identified it, I offered to fix it. The balance look to be multiple/unidentified segments so I wouldn't want to touch those.

Of course, if the town name of Hammonton, NJ still exists on the server even though there aren't any road segments assigned to it, then by all means they need to be addressed by Waze.
MReiser
Send a message

Post by Nel101
Oye...gonna need to go back and change a lot of those! Nice we have standard to follow now though.
Nel101
Send a message

Post by Nel101
Should we be also update the townships that doesn't have two or townships? Ex, North Brunswick has roads without twp or township, along with roads with Twp and Township.
Nel101
Send a message

Post by orbitc
PhantomSoul wrote:Just a couple notes:
  • Greater Old Bridge Area should all be changed to Old Bridge.
  • Any Old Bridge Township or Old Bridge Twp should also be changed to Old Bridge. There is no Old Bridge borough anywhere in the state that I know of, making the Twp suffix unnecessary.
  • Greater Woodbridge Area should all be changed to Woodbridge.
  • Any Woodbridge Township or Woodbridge Twp should also be changed to Woodbridge. There is no Woodbridge borough anywhere in the state that I know of either, making the Twp suffix unnecessary.
  • The Franklin(2) in Sussex county is actually Franklin borough, and as per our naming conventions, it should be changed to Franklin. However, this needs to be done after Franklin in Somerset County is changed to Franklin Twp to avoid a duplicate city conflict.
  • North Brunswick Twp and North Brunswick Township in Middlesex county need to be changed to just North Brunswick. Again, there is no North Brunswick borough, making the Twp suffix unnecessary.
  • Raritan(2) in Somerset county is actually Raritan borough and should be changed to just Raritan. There are also a bunch of segments in the area that are part of the same, but already labeled Raritan. However, there is a Raritan township in neighboring Hunterdon County that needs to be Raritan Twp. Because the borough and township are apparently close enough to each other to not cause a naming conflict, this may have to be sorted out by hand :(
I'll address these.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!