Standards for Naming Townships in NJ

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, PhantomSoul

Re: Standards for Naming Townships in NJ

Postby jondrush » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:46 pm

orbitc wrote:
jondrush wrote:Don't you still get the "too far apart" error when trying to save?

No we don't.

So how do they prevent smudges when they do this?
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
[ img ]
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby PesachZ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:19 am

jondrush wrote:
orbitc wrote:
jondrush wrote:Don't you still get the "too far apart" error when trying to save?

No we don't.

So how do they prevent smudges when they do this?

by giving unique city ID, and only allowing you to use the one which is nearby, so you cant add the wrong one accidentally.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PhantomSoul » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:17 am

PesachZ wrote:by giving unique city ID, and only allowing you to use the one which is nearby, so you cant add the wrong one accidentally.

How would this work in the case of Raritan in Somerset County vs. Raritan in Hunterdon County, which are both technially close enough where numerous segments in either city could be added to either city without tripping the "too far away" error?
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PesachZ » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:26 am

PhantomSoul wrote:
PesachZ wrote:by giving unique city ID, and only allowing you to use the one which is nearby, so you cant add the wrong one accidentally.

How would this work in the case of Raritan in Somerset County vs. Raritan in Hunterdon County, which are both technially close enough where numerous segments in either city could be added to either city without tripping the "too far away" error?

In that type of case it might become an issue for smudging, the only way to prevent it in that case would require scripts to identify the city ID. I don't know if there's an easy solution in that case.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:09 pm

PesachZ wrote:In that type of case it might become an issue for smudging, the only way to prevent it in that case would require scripts to identify the city ID. I don't know if there's an easy solution in that case.

It might make sense to continue using Twp to address these cases instead removing the township abbreviation.

This will be more common then I originally thought. I know there's the 2 Washington municipalities in Morris and Warren County.

There's others in Hunterdon county but smudging may not be an issue there since the incorporated township usually engulfs the incorporated borough of the same name - see Clinton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
For New Editors | For NJ Editors
PleaseDriveFast
State Manager
State Manager

Postby PesachZ » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:32 pm

PleaseDriveFast wrote:
PesachZ wrote:In that type of case it might become an issue for smudging, the only way to prevent it in that case would require scripts to identify the city ID. I don't know if there's an easy solution in that case.

It might make sense to continue using Twp to address these cases instead removing the township abbreviation.

This will be more common then I originally thought. I know there's the 2 Washington municipalities in Morris and Warren County.

There's others in Hunterdon county but smudging may not be an issue there since the incorporated township usually engulfs the incorporated borough of the same name - see Clinton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If one is engulfed in the other, and they are close enough to allow you to add the name to each other. Do we even care to have two separate city IDs? Can we just use the one existing city and fix it yourself?

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:16 am

Bringing this topic back to life, as I found some time to revise the current draft. I've moved the draft to my sandbox, and have published for final content approval based on the feedback received to date.

This is inclusive of when to remove the Twp suffix (eg, townships that engulf the same named municipality) and when to follow city smudging guidance to include townships).

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:PleaseDriveFast/sandbox
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
For New Editors | For NJ Editors
PleaseDriveFast
State Manager
State Manager

Postby qwaletee » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:22 am

Paragraph "2" is confusing. I think it could use clarification and an example.

Shared borders is too specific. Sometimes one is contained inside the other. When merging, do we need an exception if there si a road name shared between them, either discontiguous, or contiguous but with conflicting numbering?
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby PhantomSoul » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:31 am

This needs a link to the city change request form, and perhaps a way to see, without being able to change, what cities have already had changes requested.

It should also be accompanied by a note requested that no city name should be changed on any segment unless you have access to edit the entire area impacted by that incorrect city name and the ability and time to update that whole area. If we start doing partial area updates to incorrect city names, we risk damaging route finding through the area, especially on more principal roads through it.

Again, we should strongly suggest the city name change form is used for any case where we need to either change all occurrences of "City X" to not-yet-existing "City Y" or merge all occurrences of "City X" into already-existing "City Y"

Shouldn't the guidance simply be that the primary city name for any given segment should reflect the city name that area is primarily known by? Most of the time it's municipal, though it can certainly also be an unincorporated town/area in a township or city. However, we do try to avoid postal city names outside of their corresponding municipalities, mainly to avoid map editor confusion because their polygons really represent zip codes and not cities.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby qwaletee » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:01 am

Is there a public version of that form?
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey