Flemington Circle

Moderators: orbitc, PhantomSoul

Re: Flemington Circle

Postby eaglestailg8ter » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:07 am

7/20/16 - A New Temporary road configuration is in place while all the "outer" connector roads are constructed - Flemington Circle reconstruction project. This configuration will last several months. I drove this today and noticed several UR's on the WME. I have taken my "drive" and moved all of the existing segments to match the current configuration of the road. This includes US-202 N departing the circle now aligned on what was the center median for a distance. The old 202 roadbed is being reconstructed.

As of today - both the old and new GPS traces appear together on WME. The current WME edits I made today correctly reflect the actual road segments. As construction progresses - additional updates will be necessary. I drive through here several times per month and can keep an eye on it.
Eaglestailg8ter
[ img ] [ img ][ img ]

LAM - All of Pennsylvania
LAM - NW Missouri, E Kansas, KC Metro
Edit: NOR, PLN, NER, MAR, SAT, GLR, - Philly based
Verizon/Waze 4.49.2.0 / iPhone X IOS 12.2/ MacOS High Sierra
eaglestailg8ter
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby eaglestailg8ter » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Let me check the angles again. The temporary circle is much tighter than the original. I navigate typically along US-202 and had no issues with incorrect TTS going 202 to 202.
Eaglestailg8ter
[ img ] [ img ][ img ]

eaglestailg8ter
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby eaglestailg8ter » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:27 pm

I found the problem. Parts of the "circle" are named because HN's are assigned. US-202 to US-202 was BC (MH to MH)- so no TTS given. I added a short ramp segment for US-202 N departing the circle. This will provide either a "stay to the left" TTS continuing on the circle, or an "Exit Right to US-202 N" TTS.

Issue should be resolved. All the other departure angles on the Flemington Circle give an Exit Right command or Stay to the Left command to continue around the circle. Thanks for the report! We found and unknown map issue!! LOL

Bob
Eaglestailg8ter
[ img ] [ img ][ img ]

eaglestailg8ter
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby GeekDriverPeaceful » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:25 pm

Hello. I have received this UR stating that this roundabout is not treated as a roundabout by Waze. Check out the newest WMESV (Aug. 2016) on US-202 S toward the roundabout, it looks like a roundabout to me. The current set up works but is not what people expect because of the ongoing construction. Off the point. But, are the PLRs included in the exit number? If not, then I see no issues changing this Flemington Circle to an actual roundabout in WME.
GeekDriverPeaceful
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby MReiser » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:00 pm

I have driven through it a few times with Waze but I don't remember any issues with it. Then again, I may not have been paying attention as I knew where I was going. It does seem odd that it wouldn't give you any directions to stay right regardless of geometry. Is it possible (I'm not looking at it as I'm on my iPad) that both segments meet together at the circle as opposed to having you enter and then exit the circle? Just a thought...
[ img ] [ img ]
Delaware State Manager / Level 4 editor - Philadelphia metro
Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4.2) w/ Waze v3.9.0.0
MReiser

Postby MReiser » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Ok I took a quick look at it even though it's awkward on the iPad. I think the segment exiting needs a really tiny adjustment at the closest zoom to create enough of an angle to trigger a "stay to the right at US-202" command without making it visible on the client. I'm sure that would make all the difference. I think jondrush has bee on vacation but should be back shortly to unlock the circle so edits can be made.
[ img ] [ img ]
MReiser

Postby MReiser » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:08 pm

I just happened to notice, there is an extraneous segment on this stretch of US-202 S heading into the circle. Not that it would cause your issue, but this would still be a problem. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lon ... 7,61831735

Also, I don't use toolkits to do most of my editing since my work laptop won't allow me to install extensions so I can't really speak to Oyyodam's Toolkit function. I really should start using them on my personal laptop, but I rarely take the time to break it out.

Also, now that I'm looking closer, I see that the issue appears to happen regardless of the entrance/exit segment. That's troubling. I had it pegged as a 'stay straight' issue. Do you think naming the segments in the circle may have caused the problem? I thought standard practice was to not give roundabout segments a street name? Is this the result?
[ img ] [ img ]
MReiser

Postby MReiser » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:42 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:Naming segments in a roundabout (circle) is supposed to be a no-no, I think. This is why editors will often put a landmark into the circle if it is known by a name - though I'm not sure if we're supposed to do that or not. I think, also, that the roundabout segments have to be whole, and the only junctions can be entrances and exits, which also need to be unnamed.

I'm pretty sure using a landmark is acceptable for a named circle such as this. I've never heard anything about not naming the connecting segments to a roundabout. That's a first for me. I know you can't build a road through a roundabout (hamburger-style circle such as Rt 1 & Washington Rd in Princeton).

Roundabouts also don't like ramp segments, though I didn't see any here; that is, for each entrance and exit in the roundabout, you have to be able to complete those access roads without going over any ramp segments. That means no short ramp "way-finder" segments to describe a BGS at the turn.

Can anyone comment on these theories?

I also hadn't heard anything about the ramp segments, although I can definitely see how that would be an issue. It changes the nomenclature from 'stay to the right' to 'exit right'.

I noticed there's a parking lot driveway connected into the roundabout at about "5 o'clock." Perhaps this is causing the problem? If so, there's a bunch of businesses along the circle, and we may have to choose between the driveways or just getting rid of the roundabout and using regular highway segments.

I was eyeing up the Parking Lot Road as well, although I've driven through roundabouts with Parking Lot Roads connected that still functioned properly. I do know that Parking Lot Roads create all sorts of routing havoc as any node with one connected tends to lose it's turn restrictions; all rules apparently are tossed out the window. I wonder if Carl (CBenson) has anything to add? He's the resident routing expert.
[ img ] [ img ]
MReiser

Postby NJMedic2535 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:44 pm

GeekDriverPeaceful wrote:Hello. I have received this UR

From what I can surmise, it's the lack of a "keep left" at the end of this segment that's causing confusion.
I'm not up to date on where the construction project is at there, but if I were traveling through I'd like some instruction there.

-G
Greg C.
State Manager for NJ
State Manager for WA

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
NJMedic2535
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Odessit68 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:37 pm

I believe that at some point Flemington Circle was turn into a non-circle regular road. Is there a problem solving it this way? It really is not a real circle from the point of view of traffic. The yield signs are placed in such a way that staying on US-202 gets a preference, not like it would be on an actual traffic circle.
Odessit68
State Manager
State Manager

Next

Return to New Jersey