Flemington Circle

Moderators: orbitc, PhantomSoul

Re: Flemington Circle

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:32 pm

Welcome back from the depths of the forum. To revive this thread, the previous problem still exists in that entering the circle only gives an voice prompt of "At the roundabout..." with not other direction.

If you look closely, orbitc tried to implement a parallel roundabout segment to serve the PLRs located at the SE PLRs. Waze had provided guidance at the December 2014 Northeast Meetup saying this should work, which it currently doesn't.

There was a recent hangout theory by PesachZ to restrict turns into the parking lots located on the Flemington Circle, but this theory would need to be validated prior to implementing.

So who wants to set-up a testing area in the wilds or are there other theories such as removing the PLRs and adjusting stop points in Google MM and Waze, as needed?
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
For New Editors | For NJ Editors
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:44 pm

True, but from both US-202 approaches, it's signed as circle. I know PhantomSoul has more experience with this as it once was MH as opposed to roundabout.
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:46 pm

They're there in Waze SV, but here's the google link since it can be PL'd. I wanted to check the instructions and signs when I drove to Baltimore earlier this month.

Heading South

Heading North

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:39 am

PhantomSoul wrote: Instead, I would suggest a each fork have a minimal name (maybe just the highway shields?) so that a rapid sequence of "keep lefts" and "keep rights" can be read out in time for each maneuver based on the average speeds that WME Route Speeds shows.

Agreed on all points, especially on this. Because of the elongated nature of the circle, I would advocate for having both keep left and right instructions at each major junction (those junctioned to a SR or US highway).

We just need ARC or RC approval to unlock the circle, if in agreement.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:36 pm

I'm ok with lowering it to 4 as long as we have commitment from Odessit68 to follow through and implement agreed upon feedback. Knowing he's a SM for PA, I want to make sure he's in it to complete the project.

I can also participate in the boots on the ground tests, and agree with George on naming. As a frequent driver of this circle, I usually look for what highway I'm exiting at (eg, route 31, route 12) rather than control cities or other road names.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:40 pm

For the segments within the circle, there seems to be a be a mix of MH stubs and normal segments. My preference would be to use stubs like so so the long names are hidden from the ramp.

For naming, we should really follow the guidance and include "to" in front. Those 2 thoughts are the ones I'm strongly in favor of for consistency and to set an example on the map.

Another potential thought for discussion and consideration is whether we want to use Ramp segments as a WF around the circle. This would give the benefit of an announced exit right when you leave the circle, and also hide the names completely.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:49 pm

I'll be headed down to the music store in Flemington this weekend, and can check it out. Also, something to keep our eye on: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/c ... 1816mh.pdf.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:03 pm

Thanks @eaglestailg8ter. This is something to keep an eye on as the construction may make this more like a circle after construction for the inner portion.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:47 pm

GeekDriverPeaceful wrote:Hello. I have received this UR stating that this roundabout is not treated as a roundabout by Waze. Check out the newest WMESV (Aug. 2016) on US-202 S toward the roundabout, it looks like a roundabout to me. The current set up works but is not what people expect because of the ongoing construction. Off the point. But, are the PLRs included in the exit number? If not, then I see no issues changing this Flemington Circle to an actual roundabout in WME.

I'd recommend reading the thread for some historical context and why it's currently set-up as NOT a roundabout. As for edits, I'd really like more BOTG before making any changes. Eagles, drives this route frequently so we may be able to ping him for details on the current construction efforts.

Cliff notes version (dating myself) or Spark Notes for the millennials: You did make a correct assumption regarding PLRs having an affect on roundabout exit numbering. There were also other complications with the previous set-up.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
PleaseDriveFast

Postby qwaletee » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:17 pm

I say drop the roundabout too.

But if you want to play with it... my suspicion is that the "exits" being at such an oblique angle is what created the problem in the first place. They are almost a perfect 180deg.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey