Major Highways in Northwest NJ

Moderators: orbitc, PhantomSoul

Re: Major Highways in Northwest NJ

Postby jondrush » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:07 pm

What do you hope to achieve by the changes?
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
[ img ]
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Major Highways in Northwest NJ

Postby PhantomSoul » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:17 pm

While working with the maps in northwestern NJ, I noticed a lot of yellow in the WME and almost no red to indicate the main roads in the region. Most of northwestern NJ is still relatively rural and does not have any of the multi-lane divided roads that many of us would expect major highways to be in more urban areas. As a result, I'd like to propose the following roads be changed to major highways, even though many are merely rural 2-lane highways:

• US-206 US-1, Trenton to PA border, Montague This is pretty much the most principal north-south road in all of northwestern NJ and should be changed to MH to reflect that.
  • SR-15 SR-181, Sparta to US-206, Frankford The entire section of this road south to I-80 has been widened to a multi-lane divided road. This section, though a rural 2-lane highway, should be changed to MH to finish the connection to US-206.
  • SR-23 CR-515, Hardyston to NY border, Montague Even though the road is reduced to 2 lanes here, it is rural and its urban section to the south has already been widened into a multi-lane divided road. This road is northern NJ's primary connector to I-84 and points north and west, and should be changed to MH to reflect that.
  • SR-31 I-95, Hopewell Twp (Mercer) to US-46, White Together with US-46 (White to Knowlton, below) this is the second most principal north-south road in northwestern NJ, despite being a rural 2-lane highway in many parts, and should be changed to MH to reflect that.
  • US-46 I-80, Knowlton to SR-31, White Together with SR-31 (Hopewell Twp (Mercer) to White, above) this is the second most principal north-south road in northwestern NJ, despite being a rural 2-lane highway in many parts, and should be changed to MH to reflect that.
  • SR-57 Entire length from Lopatcong to Hackettstown Despite being a rural 2-lane highway, together with US-46 (Hackettstown to I-80, Mount Olive, already MH), this road is the primary connector between I-80 and northern NJ to Phillipsburg and points west. It should be changed to MH to reflect that.

Finally, the section of US-46 in the Netcong area between the two I-80 interchanges there is bypassed on nearby I-80, with high speed ramps, and therefore should probably be changed to mH to reflect that the road has been replaced with I-80 as the main through route in the area.

There has been a lot of disagreement about road types in the past, what role they play in navigation, and what kinds of roads are appropriate for the middle of a 30 mile trip vs. a 50 mile trip vs. a 100+ mile trip (especially the fine line between mH and MH). So, I wanted to share my thinking before just going ahead and changing it. Since navigation is based more on speed than road types, this change would have less significance there. However, major highways are drawn on the map slightly more emphatically than minor ones, and this change would better render what the main roads in the region are.

What do you other editors think?
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Cricket (AT&T) iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PhantomSoul » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:31 pm

There's 2 things I'd like this to achieve:

• Higher priority for these roads as candidates in the middle of longer trips.
  • Emphasized rendering on the map so that, at a glance, the main through roads in the region stand out. I'm not sure how many people have actually used the map this way, but I often like to pan around an area I'm driving through to see what main road options I have to get through there.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Cricket (AT&T) iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:16 am

I like these changes primarily for your 2nd point. I, too, also use the map especially in areas I'm not familiar with to see what options there are and have often just guessed what was the quickest path.

I especially like the 206, 15 and 23 changes as these are the main routes to pass through the area efficiently.
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
For New Editors | For NJ Editors
PleaseDriveFast

Return to New Jersey