Long Island Pine Barrens ~ Deer

Post by markgr55
It would be great to have a "Deer" hazard. I have twice in the past hit two Deer on separate occasions on Wm Floyd Pky CR 46. I am not a coder so I do not know what may be involved.
markgr55

POSTER_ID:17222895

Send a message
"Skid marks are there to remind you it could have been worse" :shock:

Post by markgr55
Yes I get the signage. Deer can come out anywhere and are a bigger hazard than a car on the shoulder IMHO (unless it is around a bend).
My beloved wife leaves sometimes before me, sometimes not we usually call and warn each other
Little story. I was listening one night on my scanner that the local Police patrol car was responding to a car vs deer accident. On his way to the call he also hit a deer.
markgr55
Send a message

Post by markgr55
Thanks PhantomSoul Yes I found it where you said it would be.
markgr55
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Sadly, the challenge with deer is that they move around, so you have to report them as you see them (and yes there's an option for animals in the hazards submenu). Really, anytime you're on a road that borders on a wooded area, you need to watch for animals.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by Rfrsw101
Hi markgr55,

Perhaps you can alert your local municipality of this? With enough consideration, they could put warning signs that deer frequently cross this road. The actual "Hazard" warning used in the Waze app is for real-time incidents that occur.

For example, you would report a Hazard and type in "deer" if you'd like, if there was a deer sitting on the roadbed. Much of Waze is based on this "real-time reporting" concept, so these types of alerts tend to expire. Based on your experiences, you would want a warning sign that it's a popular deer crossing/crash zone.
Rfrsw101
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message