Robert Moses Pkwy (WNY)

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, PhantomSoul

Robert Moses Pkwy (WNY)

Postby invented » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:08 pm

I've started a project to clean up the R. Moses Pkwy through its length. I've only touched the area within Porter, which includes Fort Niagara State Park. It was a bit funky. I've noticed the bridge levels never got imported right, so they're all junctioned at level 0 with turn restrictions in place which is a situation which must go away. :P

As far as abbreviations go, I'm assuming NY uses SR- for the state routes. Check it over here https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT

The area from Lewiston's malfunction junction down through Niagara Falls has had its SB lanes converted to a bike trail, and I'm pretty sure without even looking that the base map didn't account for this, so that will need to be fixed as well.

As the exits are un-numbered, I do what I do on my side of the river, and use "Exit to ..." wording, which was a suggestion I picked up in the wiki.

The Parkway is a prime example of Robert Moses' vision of freeways and parks everywhere in New York. As you can tell by the graded-but-unutilized areas for ramps, it was intended to go further east, but the road is so underutilized as it is (see: bike trail) it's doubtful it will ever make it.
invented

Re: Robert Moses Pkwy (WNY)

Postby Spil » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:09 am

invented wrote:I've started a project to clean up the R. Moses Pkwy through its length. I've only touched the area within Porter, which includes Fort Niagara State Park. It was a bit funky. I've noticed the bridge levels never got imported right, so they're all junctioned at level 0 with turn restrictions in place which is a situation which must go away. :P
Make sure that you confirm the levels correctly on the overpasses (in addition to bridging the junctions) -- I just noticed and corrected one near your second link below (overpass and highway lanes below were are level 0). Other than that ;), thank you for working on this! :)

invented wrote:As far as abbreviations go, I'm assuming NY uses SR- for the state routes. Check it over here https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT
Yes, I'm in the process of changing the route names from "State Hwy #" to "SR-#". It looks better on the map (at least in the many areas where the shields were not generated properly), and the TTS for "SR-#" corresponds more naturally to normal local usage -- we generally say "state route sixty" (or just "route 60") rather than "state highway sixty".

invented wrote:As the exits are un-numbered, I do what I do on my side of the river, and use "Exit to ..." wording, which was a suggestion I picked up in the wiki.
Yep, that's the proper way to go. I've done that along US-219 from Orchard Park to Springville, on SR-49 from Utica to Rome, and a couple of other areas as well. If you have any questions about other conventions that we're using in New York, take a look at the Wiki link in my signature below. ;)

Again, thanks for crossing over and helping out here. And if you need some help on your side of the border (perhaps with something just outside your range), just give me a holler. :D
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
[ img ]
Spil

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:27 am

Spil wrote:
invented wrote:As far as abbreviations go, I'm assuming NY uses SR- for the state routes. Check it over here https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT
Yes, I'm in the process of changing the route names from "State Hwy #" to "SR-#". It looks better on the map (at least in the many areas where the shields were not generated properly), and the TTS for "SR-#" corresponds more naturally to normal local usage -- we generally say "state route sixty" (or just "route 60") rather than "state highway sixty".

I thought the SR-# abbreviation was only for use on Ramps and not the actual road based on what's said in the Wiki (http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road_Naming_%28USA%29#State_Highways). You are a much more senior editor than I am, so if you can use them for roads, it would save me a lot of typing as most everything in CT is labeled "US/State Hwy #" and everything (State & US) are called "Route" here too.
[ img ]
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby WeeeZer14 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Moses is probably rolling over in his grave since they are slowly dismantling the parkway.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[ img ]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14

Postby invented » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:19 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:Moses is probably rolling over in his grave since they are slowly dismantling the parkway.

Shortly after his death they dismantled a big piece through the park just adjacent to the Rainbow Bridge.
invented

Postby WeeeZer14 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:12 am

invented wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:Moses is probably rolling over in his grave since they are slowly dismantling the parkway.

Shortly after his death they dismantled a big piece through the park just adjacent to the Rainbow Bridge.

Yep, as I said slowly. Started then, still going on now ;)
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[ img ]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14

Return to New York