Time Restructions at Midtown Tunnel

Post by Bunneb
Queens Midtown Tunnel, Manhattan. Road direction on ramp changes depending on time of day. Level 5 required to change.
Bunneb

POSTER_ID:17365232

Send a message
Attachments

Post by PhantomSoul
Why would we not be able to leverage time-based turn-restrictions (TBTR) to manage the directionality of segments (one-way vs. two-way) in the tunnel depending on when the contra-flow is enabled in either tube? What if we made both tunnel segments two-way and used TBR and/or TBTR to disable the contra-flow direction when the contra-flow is closed?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by Rfrsw101
Hey Bunneb,

Welcome to the forums. We are aware of this contraflow lane at the QMT. Unfortunately, at this time, Waze does not provide lane guidance, or know if you have HOV 3+ criteria fulfilled (it may be 2+, I forgot). I will discuss this further with our State Managers for NY and see if we can come up with anything for this.

The HLC (BBT) in Lower Manhattan has the same flow during morning rush, and we have the same setup with not much ability to change it (at this time, with Waze's current abilities).
Rfrsw101
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Last edited by Rfrsw101 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Rfrsw101
I think the biggest limitation here is the fact that an HOV 3+ lane leads into the contraflow tunnel. I believe TBTR's were considered (for HLC) and by extension for QMT, they work semi-effectively for the Queensboro Bridge, but still require a snap-to the road because of the lack of capability at this time for HOV.

In other words, you won't ever be directed into the contraflow lane, because Waze can't tell atm. If it wasn't an HOV classed road, I think it would be very simple, as you described above PS, to implement a two-way config on the South (Qns Bound) Tube, and set restrictions for morning and non-morning Rush.

Edit: What is fairly unique, also, about the HLC, is that it always goes contraflow during AM Rush, 3 lanes to Manhattan, 1 lane to Brooklyn, HOV 3+ in the contraflow lane, with an HOV lane leading into this tube over 4 miles back on the Gowanus Expwy (I-278 E). During PM Rush, sometimes, a contraflow is in effect, 3 lanes to Brooklyn, 1 lane to Manhattan, no HOV restriction. This contraflow PM lane is not in effect if:

1) There isn't a noticeable need for it
2) The Manhattan Bound (East) Tube recently had a traffic incident (which closed one or both lanes of the Manh Bnd tunnel)

** For the QMT, only during AM Rush is there a contraflow HOV lane in the South (Qns Bnd Tube).
Rfrsw101
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Rfrsw101
I did consider at one point, if we could create a Pvt Rd HOV lane like we have leading up to the HLC in Brooklyn. If snapped properly, we could connect it right in between the two tunnel segments (closed to the South Tube) and have it exit out "E 37th St" like shown in the picture above.
Rfrsw101
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message