Rochester Route 390/490/Lyell Ave Construction underway

Post by idrive66
Rochester's highway system is receiving a major overhaul in the 390 N/S, 490 E/W, and Lyell Avenue corridor. This section of highway has long been a nightmare for commuters as they pass through the outdated infrastructure. Delays, accidents, and traffic jams abound.
Construction has begun on a multi-million dollar overhaul of this highway corridor. The first construction phase, which has already begun and been partially completed, was the purchasing of the remainder of a property directly next to exit 21 to Lyell Avenue and clearing of the land. Driving by you can clearly see that all the forestry has recently been removed, marking the beginning of this much awaited project.
Wazers (users/editors/corporate) should expect to see many event notifications in this area as well as many delays, traffic updates, reroutes, closures, and other expected reports as they will increase as this project continues to move forward.
This major project will be completed starting now through the end of 2018, possibly into 2019 depending on weather and other setbacks.
Below are links to various resources from the NYS DOT relating to the project, including project manager, website, news release, and email address for the overall project. Make no mistake, this will be a major overhaul for the Rochester area that has been anticipated for many years.

Project site: http://www.dot.ny.gov/390lyell
Phase 1 announcement by Governor Andrew Cuomo http://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governo ... ell-avenue
Local News Coverage: http://13wham.com/news/top-stories/majo ... -lyell-ave

For more information about this project, please contact:

Project Manager
Paul Spitzer
(585) 272-4890

Project Design Engineer
Rick Burgwardt
(585) 272-4815

Mailing Address:
NYSDOT
390/490/Lyell Interchange Improvement Project Design Team
1530 Jefferson Road
Rochester, NY 14623

Project E-Mail Address:
390Lyell@dot.ny.gov

Sincerely,
Idrive66
idrive66
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

POSTER_ID:17432336

Send a message
Attachments

Idrive66 (3)
North Greece/Rochester NY

Post by DanCocoDotCom
I live in North Greece and will be navigating this project at least 5-15 times per week (sometimes more) as I drive around doing service calls for work. I'll be able to provide BOTG reports of progress, closures, detours, etc. Currently L2 and can assist with mapping. You can add me to this project.
DanCocoDotCom
Send a message

Post by idrive66
Hello,
I am not involved with this project, however am an avid citizen of the area. I keep on top of as much as possible and make sure that I report as much as possible so that the maps are as close to always accurate as possible. I drive this section daily, keep tabs on everything, and always research what's going on in the area. I'm big in community involvement and such.

I would be happy to help as much as possible with this project as it will be one of the biggest projects coming up in the area. Nearly 200,000 cars a day pass through this section so it will be extremely important that we keep everything up to date and work on rerouting options.
I do know this first phase is going to involve removal and replacement of the bridge on Lyell Avenue. The exit for 21 will be moved over and routed to the intersection at Lee Road removing the current double intersection issue between the current exit and Lee Road intersection.
One of the other things I should mention as well that I discussed with a dot member is the 490 merge with 390 North. Many cars and tractor trailers attempt to exit at Lyell Avenue coming down 390 North in the far lane but because of either vague GPS guidance. Or just plain confusion as this interchange has way too much going on. Crossing nearly 3 lanes of traffic in with less than 5 seconds to make the exit is risky business from that left lane especially since it involves crossing into merging traffic from 490 that has to actually move over a lane to stay on 390 and not actually exit to lyell. GPS currently instructs drivers who are entering the interchange to use the two lanes for 390 North regardless of whether their destination requires an exit to lyell ave. If exiting at lyell it should instruct the driver to utilize the right hand lane of the 390 lanes to exit to lyell. I'm not sure how it would be worded but I'm sure there's a way as the current direction is tragic and risky as all can be. Perhaps the instructions to use the center lane instead of using the two left lanes for 390 only if they're going to get off at lyell Ave. As they make their way over the bridge they can hear a warning that they will need to merge into traffic and onto the exit. Most drivers just avoid even trying to do this because of the risk involved but those who do make it are often lucky. I can share a map with points highlighted and where GPS things should be corrected at some point either tomorrow and at the latest by Wednesday. So there will be need to reroute trucks for sure on the current GPS and maps for cars as well this way all safety is improved and the actual traffic pattern that is supposed to be currently in place continues to be followed. It will prevent accidents and such. I am always happy to call and speak with representatives, project managers, etc. And report on findings and discussions for the group. Anything I can do to make this a smooth transition and keep the area moving is what I'm all about. I drive a ton so it gives me even more opportunity to report and share as well as Mark incidents off.

jdelosa wrote:Hi idrive66,

We will put together a project team it keep on top of this.

Are you involved with this project?

Would we be able to contact you for information and boots on the ground reports in the future?

Either way I want to thank you so much for this in-site. It's Wazer like you that help keep our map the most up-to-date​.

Feel Free to contact me at anytime, John (JD)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
idrive66
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Idrive66 (3)

Post by idrive66
I forgot to include a few more noted project parts to the list before.
Project Description: I490 ITS IMPROVEMENTS
Initial Construction Budget: $3,348,705.82
Current Completion Date: 8/31/2018
PIN: 449036
Contract: D263273

Project Description: NYSDOT BRIDGE PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE - 2016
Initial Construction Budget: $5,490,565.86
Current Completion Date: 10/31/2017
PIN: 480636
Contract: D263185

This one includes Bridges over Maiden Lane, English Road,both 390, and the interchange of 390/NY State Parkway.

Project Description: NYSDOT JOINT REPAIR AT 9 LOCATIONS IN MONROE COUNTY
Initial Construction Budget: $2,516,700.3
Current Completion Date: 7/31/2017
PIN: 480639
Contract: D263184

One location is the bridge on Route 104 crossing the Genesee River. Its name is escaping me. I think the Veterans Memorial Bridge.

Project Description: I390 INTERCHANGE IMPROVEMENTS @ EXIT 16 PHASE 3
Initial Construction Budget: $30,761,000
Current Completion Date: 9/22/2017
PIN: 439059
Contract: D900018

Construction is also beginning on Route 490 between the Exits 25 and 26 on both sides. Currently this section has lanes rerouted between barriers and no shoulder on both sides. The bridge is being repaired here. Construction signs are also warning drivers to expect delays here starting April 3, 2017. Work zones have been set up for some time and they are ready to begin again with the addition of more equipment as of this evening and preparations under way. Drivers must not pass through this section currently and remain in their lanes.
idrive66
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Idrive66 (3)

Post by idrive66
Hello,
Wanted to follow up with you regarding the big construction overhaul of this major highway corridor in Rochester, NY.

The signs have gone up letting drivers know that construction is beginning promptly on April 3, 2017. The cones are all lining the road for construction and things are ready to get underway.

Here is the information from NYS DOT on this project being currently under construction.
439013 - I390 INTERCHANGE IMPROVEMENTS AT I490 (STAGE 1 OF 4 - LYELL AVENUE BRIDGE) - TOWN OF GATES, MONROE COUNTY D263114 Under Construction

Also available is the information regarding further work in the Rochester, NY metro area regarding the replacement of 19 bridges in total that are insufficient.
NYSDOT JOINT REPAIR, GROUP 1
Project ID No. 480638

One other update, resurfacing of Route 390 from Lyell Avenue to Route 104 will also be happening during this construction season. The NYS DOT website has much listed on the projects coming and underway so far.
idrive66
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Idrive66 (3)

Post by jdelosa
Hi idrive66,

We will put together a project team it keep on top of this.

Are you involved with this project?

Would we be able to contact you for information and boots on the ground reports in the future?

Either way I want to thank you so much for this in-site. It's Wazer like you that help keep our map the most up-to-date​.

Feel Free to contact me at anytime, John (JD)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
jdelosa
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by jdelosa
Idrive66 we have started a Google Hangout chat room for this project to communicate to the local editors that will be handling the changes to the Waze map.

If you would like to join in on the conversation please click this link