Speed Limit Question

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, PhantomSoul

Speed Limit Question

Postby DrivingWithBill » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Why can we not get the speed limit here to be 20mph both ways

My thoughts:

Seams silly since waze has started putting alerts to all the railroad crossings we clearly have a focus on safety isn't a school zone a safety issue?

Further we have alerts for red light and speed cameras, police visible and hidden as ways to avoid tickets, why are we choosing then not to provide this valuable asset for regular speed traps. they used to have a speed camera here in fact but speed camera was for school hours of 20mph and then in theory off during non school hours. they had a little issue with the speed cameras issue tickets outside that window and subsequently the whole program got cancelled.

So the precedent of high enforcement exists. Would you have done a speed camera here for 20mph if that was still existing despite the fact that the speed limit is 30mph by your definition?
-Drivingwithbill

this space intentionally left blank
DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Speed Limit Question

Postby SpencerFG » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:30 pm

Adjusting school zone speed limits for school times may be difficult as they can be quite variable throughout the year. On the other hand it probably wouldn't be too difficult to have a school zone alert for weekdays since schools are already mapped and don't move frequently.
SpencerFG

Postby DrivingWithBill » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:40 am

Im confused this doesn't seam to reflect the issue of majority of time nor the concern about safety and speed trap.
-Drivingwithbill

DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby RussPA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:50 pm

There are too many issues with school zones to make it practical for us to add them:
- Not all school zones have speed traps.
- School zones are usually only a few hundred feet, which would force us to cut roads up to add those school zones.
- They vary with time of year, holidays, weather, etc, as was already mentioned, and there would be no way for us to keep up with all those variations.
- Some in my area turn on and off 3 or 4 times a day.
In my opinion, mapping school zones would cause more problems than it solves and would be very difficult to keep accurate, which could lead to a lot of user complaints.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Local Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator
RussPA
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby SpencerFG » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:37 pm

The idea of adding school alerts was in lieu of trying to adjust speed limits for school zones. Since schools are mapped already, an alert at roads that intersect a radius of, say, 300 feet from the stop point should be doable. It could work somewhat like the hazard alerts. Roads would not need to be cut and I don't think editors would need to be involved except to check for exceptions as they arise. It also wouldn't be too intrusive to the driver to be notified from perhaps 0600 to 1800 on weekdays, regardless of whether schools are in session.

Whether this is worthwhile is a different issue. It was just an idea to address potential speed traps and variable speed limits.
SpencerFG

Postby dude495 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:43 pm

SpencerFG wrote:The idea of adding school alerts was in lieu of trying to adjust speed limits for school zones. Since schools are mapped already, an alert at roads that intersect a radius of, say, 300 feet from the stop point should be doable. It could work somewhat like the hazard alerts. Roads would not need to be cut and I don't think editors would need to be involved except to check for exceptions as they arise. It also wouldn't be too intrusive to the driver to be notified from perhaps 0600 to 1800 on weekdays, regardless of whether schools are in session.

Whether this is worthwhile is a different issue. It was just an idea to address potential speed traps and variable speed limits.

Remember despite what Waze does or does not alert you about, it’s still your responsibility as a drive to pay attention to your surroundings and posted signage. If Waze says the speed limit is 35 mph but there’s a sign that says 25mph during a certain hour, it’s your responsibility to make sure you reduce to 25 mph.
Dan B - New York SM - Pakistan CM
Waze New York & NYC Social Media
New York Partnerships Coordinator
iOS & WME ßeta Tester
Waze USA & Pakistan Mentor

[ img ]
dude495
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby DrivingWithBill » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:17 am

I get this but Orange Signs are advisory and not legally enforceable, such as signs about railroad crossings. So the addition of these to the map plus the fact that there is a different depiction of this type of road is purely for safety informational purposes.

School speed limit signs are legally enforceable, white signs. Also have safety implications. We are choosing to provide warnings on Long Island that the railroads exist which have large signage, gates flashing lights, bells, but not provide notification of a legally enforced speed limit?

Further I am not asking for an exception for ALL school zones and recognize not all school zones have speed traps. I am noting a specific location with almost daily speed traps that has one direction recognizing the school zone speed limit and the opposite direction is not being observed, despite the fact the speed trap targets both directions.

You appear to have the speed cameras in NYC mapped.. But here is a funny part on that, those are also only limited to school hours (or technically 1 hour pre to 1 hour post) which is less than 50% of the year. Why are these being mapped and included? They represent a variable condition for most of the year?

My confusion here is the logic being applied to the school zone speed limit is not being applied to other scenarios with similar implications: speed cameras, railroad crossings.I am also confused on how would mapping a speed limit in a school zone generate more problems than it solve. Do you really get lots of complaints that the school zone is only enforceable x number hours a day or are we ignoring the fact that the largest volume of end users are probably driving through these zones during school hours.
-Drivingwithbill

DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby dude495 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:12 am

DrivingWithBill wrote:I get this but Orange Signs are advisory and not legally enforceable, such as signs about railroad crossings. So the addition of these to the map plus the fact that there is a different depiction of this type of road is purely for safety informational purposes.

School speed limit signs are legally enforceable, white signs. Also have safety implications. We are choosing to provide warnings on Long Island that the railroads exist which have large signage, gates flashing lights, bells, but not provide notification of a legally enforced speed limit?

Further I am not asking for an exception for ALL school zones and recognize not all school zones have speed traps. I am noting a specific location with almost daily speed traps that has one direction recognizing the school zone speed limit and the opposite direction is not being observed, despite the fact the speed trap targets both directions.

You appear to have the speed cameras in NYC mapped.. But here is a funny part on that, those are also only limited to school hours (or technically 1 hour pre to 1 hour post) which is less than 50% of the year. Why are these being mapped and included? They represent a variable condition for most of the year?

My confusion here is the logic being applied to the school zone speed limit is not being applied to other scenarios with similar implications: speed cameras, railroad crossings.I am also confused on how would mapping a speed limit in a school zone generate more problems than it solve. Do you really get lots of complaints that the school zone is only enforceable x number hours a day or are we ignoring the fact that the largest volume of end users are probably driving through these zones during school hours.

First and foremost we are regular app users such as yourself not Waze employees so we do not have the ability to add new features.

Secondly the railroad crossing hazards are added by CCP partners such as the MTA not us.

Third as previously stated we can’t add school speeds as they constantly change on a weekly basis. Such as holidays, weather, school functions. Changing a speed limit in the editor requires a tile build to go through to push the update to the app which can take as quick as 1-2 days or as long as several weeks sometimes. This would defeat the purpose of updating the school zone speed limit. As far as the speed traps, drive the speed limit and you won’t have to worry :) otherwise you can always flag the police officers in app to alert other drivers.

As for why mapping a speed limit would cause more problems is because people are going to flag reports that “schools out today” or “it’s a holiday” or “it’s XYZ vacation” but they’re getting told to slow down when they don’t need to.
Dan B - New York SM - Pakistan CM
Waze New York & NYC Social Media
New York Partnerships Coordinator
iOS & WME ßeta Tester
Waze USA & Pakistan Mentor

[ img ]
dude495
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby jdelosa » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:29 pm

And most of all, we don't write the Guidelines, we just have to follow them.

But I would turn your efforts to the feature request area of the Waze App

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=657

There you would be requesting to the development team, who has the power to add this for us.

Thanks JD
JD, Brooklyn, NYC Area Manager, New York SM, NOR MSM,
Member of the NYC Closure Team

WazeNewYork@GMail.com Subject Attn: JDeLosa
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
jdelosa
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby DrivingWithBill » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Fair enough but I was under the impression that the community got to make their guidance and variances for local states needs. I will bring this up at a national level.
-Drivingwithbill

DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to New York