Speed Limit Question

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, PhantomSoul

Re: Speed Limit Question

Postby cycle201 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:04 pm

ok, thanks
cycle201

Postby DrivingWithBill » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:26 am

jdelosa wrote:Although that is an official list from NY we have no current way to change Speed limits for school zones unless they are 24/7

I was under the impression that speed limits were mapped if they were greater than 50% of the time enforced. I have seen school speed limits be posted as Mon-Fri and ones without an indication of duration which in both cases would be greater than 50%.
-Drivingwithbill

this space intentionally left blank
DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jdelosa » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:34 am

That is definitely something we do weigh on a case by case basis.

I was referring to the list as presented. I did not see any hours or days in effect, and therefore suggested we need some additional information to make a determination on where we could add or change the speed limits.
JD, Brooklyn, NYC Area Manager, New York SM, NOR MSM,
Member of the NYC Closure Team

WazeNewYork@GMail.com Subject Attn: JDeLosa
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
jdelosa
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby cycle201 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:07 pm

yeah, only certain hours and waze doesnt have that capibility
cycle201

Postby cycle201 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:09 pm

jdelosa wrote:That is definitely something we do weigh on a case by case basis.

I was referring to the list as presented. I did not see any hours or days in effect, and therefore suggested we need some additional information to make a determination on where we could add or change the speed limits.

NYS list is here, and we know school is mon-fri, seems we can just lower the limit as a warning, Just my opinion
cycle201

Postby dude495 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:50 pm

cycle201 wrote:
jdelosa wrote:That is definitely something we do weigh on a case by case basis.

NYS list is here, and we know school is mon-fri, seems we can just lower the limit as a warning, Just my opinion

We map the speed limit that is consistent majority of the time. "School Days" is a very vague term and time frame as different schools have different school days and hours. This also does not account for unexpected school closures, such as evacuations, weather/snow, Teacher Days etc. The discussion to change our guidance from this to map school zone speed limits has been brought up a small handful of times and after discussion each time by leadership its been determined to leave it as it is until Waze HQ gives us more features/abilities to map fluctuating speed limits such as school zones.
Dan B - New York SM - Pakistan CM
Waze New York & NYC Social Media
New York Partnerships Coordinator
iOS & WME ßeta Tester
Waze USA & Pakistan Mentor

[ img ]
dude495
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby cycle201 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:00 pm

DrivingWithBill wrote:Why can we not get the speed limit here to be 20mph both ways

My thoughts:

Seams silly since waze has started putting alerts to all the railroad crossings we clearly have a focus on safety isn't a school zone a safety issue?

Further we have alerts for red light and speed cameras, police visible and hidden as ways to avoid tickets, why are we choosing then not to provide this valuable asset for regular speed traps. they used to have a speed camera here in fact but speed camera was for school hours of 20mph and then in theory off during non school hours. they had a little issue with the speed cameras issue tickets outside that window and subsequently the whole program got cancelled.

So the precedent of high enforcement exists. Would you have done a speed camera here for 20mph if that was still existing despite the fact that the speed limit is 30mph by your definition?

I whole hearty agree, the roadway already has an option for restricting what vehicles and what days it (speed limit) is already in operation, seems like a reasonable request and area mods can pull data from their local authority....
High 5 sir, i got (spoken too) for trying to do this exact thing 1 by 1, and with a DOT (Dept of Transportation) official list, Was told no way........

Good luck sir
cycle201

Postby voludu2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Unfortunately, there is no way to set different speed limits for different times of day.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Previous

Return to New York