Post by Unix_Slayer
dude495 wrote:
Unix_Slayer wrote:Staten Island, one of the 5 boros of NYC is barely showing any Speed Cameras in Waze. We have become inundated with Speed cameras on almost every other block. We are all adding them to Waze, but it seems Waze is still not reporting them almost 2 months later. When can we expect proper reporting of Speed Cameras on Staten Island? People are getting slammed with tickets.....
We, the volunteer map editors, are adding them to the map as fast as we can across the city. Unfortunately these take time to verify their location and accuracy before pushed to the map. NYC does not do a great job publishing these to make it easier for us so sometimes they take longer than usual. Also remember it is the drivers responsibility to make sure they are following all posted speed limits and other laws of the road, whether in Waze or not. If you come across a camera that is not listed in Waze that you think should be please feel free to submit a photo of it and it’s identifiable location to us via WazeNewYork@gmail.com and we can look into them on a case by case basis.

I have emailed a list of definite speed cameras on Staten Island. I totally understand that we must obey the speed limits, but going over 3, or 5 mph over the limit at times is unfair. People are staring down at their speedometer to keep from getting fined, which is causing more accidents then before the cameras. At least hearing Waze announce the speed cameras keeps more people aware of their speed.
Unix_Slayer
Send a message

Post by Unix_Slayer
List of Speed cameras on Staten Island, and more are being erected as we speak....
Unix_Slayer
Send a message
Attachments

Post by Unix_Slayer
People of Staten Island have been compiling the list so we can have an exact listing of real cameras....
Unix_Slayer
Send a message

Post by Unix_Slayer
One issue... Someone keeps putting a speed camera on Tysens Lane, and Amboy Road. It is near a school, but there is no camera. The speed camera is on Amboy Road, and Cedarview which is showing up in Waze. I keep hitting not there when I get the warning on Tysens, and Amboy... The camera is Not there...
Unix_Slayer
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Hi! I saw nobody got back to you about this speed camera near Monsignor Farrell High School
Street View from 2018 shows that there are "photo enforced" signs in the area, and I see a camera facing east near the corner. Is this camera no longer there?

Hitting "not there" in the app actually has no effect. It doesn't even produce any kind of notification. I don't know why the waze team has left that feature in the app.

Here's what it it would look like as you drive up to it on Amboy Rd, approaching Tysens Lane,
Farrell High School Camera.jpg
Monsignor Farrell Speed Camera
(247.88 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
and what it would look like in your rearview.
The attachment Rearview.jpg is no longer available
voludu2
Send a message
Last edited by voludu2 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by whoaitspete
Yes, like most of the features in Waze, everything is crowd sourced by app users. The folks in SI have had a great Facebook group with picture evidence of the new cameras so we can accurately put them in the app. We have been doing our best to keep up with the great list they have provided.
whoaitspete
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

USA Local Champ | NY State Manager | Android Beta Tester
Northeast Region Discord / NY Wazeopedia / Waze NY Twitter

Post by whoaitspete
Marking mobile cameras as police is the current guidance for New York. Thank you for mentioning that, as that was a good reminder to share the link here.
whoaitspete
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

USA Local Champ | NY State Manager | Android Beta Tester
Northeast Region Discord / NY Wazeopedia / Waze NY Twitter