Brooklyn - need Atlantic Ave turn lane under train

Post by ncc1701v
See this block of Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. (I'm having trouble with the permalink but it's the block between Troy and Albany, where the UR is.) In order to turn left on Albany you need to get into a left turn lane under the train immediately after the junction with Troy, a full block away. Here is a streetview. Atlantic Ave is unsplit, so a turn lane would appear to be south of all other traffic in both directions. I don't want to unsplit it, nor do I want to put in an ugly turn lane. Thoughts please.
ncc1701v

POSTER_ID:7933887

Send a message
Last edited by AndyPoms on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed permalink
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by jasonh300
I was asked to come in and give an opinion on this. Based on what I saw on the streetview, I really think that Atlantic Avenue is a prime candidate for splitting. It's separated by 6" curbs and vertical columns with two lanes in the median.

I normally would never advocate a lengthy left-turn lane, but since this is a situation where the left turn lane is divided from the traffic going straight, and it's a point of no return, the left turn lanes need to be drawn in. It's going to be ugly, but I think it's necessary.

You'll want to angle into the turning lane at 45 degrees, so as to give a "keep left", and then I would suggest putting an artificial 90 degree angle where the actual turn is made to give a "turn left" (optional).

You'll have to keep a close eye on it once it's done and test in Livemap frequently for a few weeks to be sure it's routing properly.

If it wasn't for those turn lanes, I wouldn't recommend a split if things were working normally. It's hard to tell in streetview, with all the shadows and worn pavement markings, but if that is the only place where the left turns exist like that, you may only need to split that section of the road, although with a wide separation like that, it's essentially two streets, so you may want to just bite the bullet and split the whole thing.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
Actually Atlantic Ave has these turn lanes in both directions for a considerable distance. I'm reluctantly inclined toward a split.
ncc1701v
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
AndyPoms wrote:That's going to be a dicey one no matter what... The L is probably going to mess with GPS positioning a bit... and there isn't any sort of median between them...
Yes, there are curbs between junctions keeping you from turning under the tracks. The only things under the tracks are left turn lanes and construction eqpt (there, the turn lanes are closed).

I'm looking for clever ideas from my elders, or since there aren't too many of those, at least people with more editing experience.
ncc1701v
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
I'll try to do it tonight.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
ncc1701v
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
This is done. Atlantic Ave was already split to both west and east,
and my split would have left only a few blocks undone, so I just made
it all split for consistency. The boundaries of my work are
Washington Ave on the west and Eastern Parkway on the east.

It will take careful watching, on the LiveMap and in problem reports.
Here are some notes. You all can change any of this as you wish (and
I expect to learn from what you change) but this is what I think is
best:

* I made the angles a bit more than 45 degrees in order to get a
"turn" instruction. The entries to these things are only about 1.5
car lengths - there's no "keep to the left" about it, you have to
tuck in - so I figured "turn" was better in this case.

* I put the main roadways in the middle of three lanes (each way),
leaving plenty of distance between the main roadways and the left
turn lanes. There's a chance Waze will be able to tell which the
user is on. See next point.

* Streetview shows some left turn lanes are closed. I know for sure
one of them is, but I don't know about the others. Since I don't
trust Streetview to be up to date, and I couldn't tell from the NYC
DOT how long the construction was supposed to last (at least one
started in April) ... I put them all in, with the intent of
depending on map problem reports to find out what's really open and
what isn't. I figure in this case it's better to tell someone to
turn in and have them not be able to, and perhaps take an illegal
left like everyone else at the next junction, rather than take them
the long way around unnecessarily.

* There was one potential left turn lane I couldn't figure out:
eastbound to New York Ave. There might be one there but there is
too much construction equipment in Streetview for me to tell. I left
it out.

* Buffalo Ave is two-way to the north and one-way to the south.
Please doublecheck turn restrictions at that junction in
particular.

* KHJGDSTBGNH, after the maps are updated, please refresh the map cache
in your app, and drive around there to see how well it works.

* MDQUEENZ, I reattached Washington Ave, the construction seems to be
over.

One question: How do I disallow a u-turn at the end of a dead end? In this case
Agate Ct.

Thanks. Keep calm and Waze on ...
ncc1701v
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
jasonh300 wrote:You'll want to angle into the turning lane at 45 degrees, so as to give a "keep left", and then I would suggest putting an artificial 90 degree angle where the actual turn is made to give a "turn left" (optional).
I finally (just now) understood what you mean by this. I don't know if I'll get to it today but I'll prepend the initial "keep left" sections soon.
ncc1701v
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
I've fallen out of Waze editing (temporarily) so if the turn directions need fixing someone else will need to do it.
ncc1701v
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
That was mine. There were multiple URs about confusing directions, because it was not obvious that you had to go into the center lanes under the el. So drivers were confident that they knew to turn left at the next intersection, and completely missed the turn lane.

I'm open to suggestions for a different name, but it does need a descriptive name to avoid this problem.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
I don't know if it changed, but the sign wan't very prominent/easy to spot far enough in advance. Also, that might be confusing, as it isn't a Brooklyn Avenue underpass, it is the Atlantic Avenue elevated train underpass.

I don't think there's a really good name here, no matter what you choose. I would ask you to take off your "experienced driver cap," and put on your "I don't know this area cap," and tell me what you think would be the instruction most likely to be recognizable to such a driver approaching this "exit" from 500 feet, without making the name impossibly long.

* Turn left onto ("TLo") center lane
* Keep left to ("KLt") center lane
* TLo Brooklyn Ave
* KLt Brooklyn Ave
* ... Atlantic Ave underpass
* ... Brooklyn Ave underpass
* ... underpass to Brooklyn Ave
* ... center turn lane to Brooklyn Ave
* ... center underpass
* ... center underpass to Brooklyn Ave
* ... something else entirely?

I'm not being facetious here, I'm just looking for what would be an easy to follow instruction for a driver not familiar with the area, that is also reasonable to implement for the Waze framework.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues