Need help with Pico in LA

Post by HandofMadness
Hi everyone, I've been getting a lot of reports about a new raised median on Pico which is blocking a lot of previously legal turns. This is fairly recent, so doesn't show up in the satellite or street view images.

I want to find out how far this new median runs and where there are breaks in it. I've tried google and the LA DOT website, and can't seem to find any information on this new major change.

Either my google fu is weak, or its not online.

Any help providing information you can provide to help get this mapped correctly would be greatly appreciated.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:6884845

Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
No idea, but that's what I'm trying to find out.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
LaurieFox wrote:But I was only looking at where the islands were; I wasn't checking each cross street for turn restrictions, so I didn't change any of them. There may be other reasons for turn restrictions on those streets, and YOU were the last one to modify them, so I'm assuming they're correct. ;)
You know what they say when someone assumes....

Thanks for looking into all of that. As to the turn restrictions mentioned above, they were set due to comments left in UR's, and probably the ones that kicked off this thread, rather than any first hand knowledge.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by LaurieFox
I think I've seen these. They're a bunch of little short medians - I think in the Mid-City area. IDK if these are the ones you've been getting reports on, but I found some on Google Maps between Crenshaw and West Blvd and another bunch (under construction at the time of the Google Maps image) farther west, between Mansfield Ave and Cloverdale Ave. (For instance, it's no longer possible to CROSS Pico on Sycamore Ave or Meadowbrook Ave! I just fixed the turn restrictions on Meadowbrook. Sycamore looks ok.)

I'm going out to Culver City tmrw (from downtown) so on the way back I can just take Pico all the way home and see what I find!

There is a City department that handles these "upgrades" to various streets. (Bureau of Street Maintenance?) If we could find them, maybe we could find out pro-actively where they're PLANNING to put in new medians, so we'll be ready for them when they show up! ;)
LaurieFox
Send a message
Successfully navigating through Los Angeles since 1984.

Post by LaurieFox
Ok, Shawn, I did a serious survey of Pico this afternoon! I drove the whole length from Sepulveda to Figueroa, looking for medians! (Now, granted, Pico does continue east of Fig and west of Sepulveda, but this section was MY contribution.) :) There are 4 sections where there are medians - 2 of which show up on the satellite images and 2 of which are too new & don't show up yet.

I also concluded that, for our purposes here, there are 2 *kinds* of medians: those that (necessarily) affect turn restrictions and those that do not. (This was an AHA moment for me, as I was carefully recording where each median started & ended. The ones that are entirely contained BETWEEN 2 cross streets REALLY don't concern us, because they don't affect turns - other than people trying to enter the street from businesses in that block, and I don't think we can concern ourselves with their quandary!) So, for instance, of the 2 that show up on the satellite images, the 4 median islands between Crenshaw Blvd and West Blvd are irrelevant to Waze. They just make the street prettier. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TFTFTTTFTT

However, there's a new batch of 3 in the section between West Blvd and San Vicente, which I'm sure were put in because of the new Midtown Crossing Shopping Center. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TFTFTTTTFT They don't show up on the satellite images yet. The first one (going east to west) goes between West Blvd (on the north side) and Mullen, thus blocking traffic coming south on Muirfield from turning left on Pico. The middle one is entirely contained between Mullen and Rimpau. And the last one goes between Rimpau and San Vicente, thus preventing southbound traffic on Hudson from turning left on Pico. Muirfield was already properly marked. I corrected the turn restrictions on Hudson.

I have 3 concerns in this area that someone else could look at:
~ This new shopping center has a sizable parking garage. It's possible that the 3 entrances should be marked as parking lot roads, but I'm not the one to say so! They are from Pico, across from Mullen and across from Rimapu and from Venice, in line with Mullen.
~ My handwritten notes say that southbound traffic on Rimpau MUST turn right, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to turn left (the islands don't prevent it) or even go straight into the Shopping center Parking. I may have gotten confused between Rimpau and Mullen, where right or left turns are both allowed, but traffic is prohibited from going straight into the parking structure. Bizarre. There's actually a sign that says left turn ONLY there, but I really don't think they mean to prevent right turns, I think they mean "Do Not Enter." Who knows? I predict lots of confusion at this intersection when the shopping center actually opens!!
~ The two major intersections (San Vicente / Venice and San Vicente / Pico) are both weird. I think the one on Venice will need to be modified to allow access to that entrance to the parking structure, but I know my limitations and fixing this intersection is WAY beyond my present capabilities! (For instance, the various segments of this intersection are marked as Levels 0, 1 & 2, but they look like they're all on the same level to ME!)

The 3rd & 4th batches of medians are farther west:
~ There are 3 that show up on the satellite images between Mansfield & Cloverdale, which I mentioned yesterday. I fixed the Meadowbrook turn restrictions and took the restrictions OFF of Cloverdale, which DOES go through. The islands prevent traffic on both Meadowbrook and Sycamore from crossing Pico. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TFTFTTTTFT
~ And the last batch is too new to show up yet. It's between Curson and Orange Grove. https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TFTFTTTTFT There are just 2: one which blocks Stanley and one which blocks Ogden. Both of those have correct turn restrictions. However, Spaulding, Genessee and Orange Grove are NOT affected by the new islands, so I don't understand why the turn restrictions have been set the way they are. But I was only looking at where the islands were; I wasn't checking each cross street for turn restrictions, so I didn't change any of them. There may be other reasons for turn restrictions on those streets, and YOU were the last one to modify them, so I'm assuming they're correct. ;)

So that's a very LONG answer to a very SHORT question, but now you know where to look for median islands on Pico! :D
LaurieFox
Send a message

Post by LaurieFox
ottonomy wrote:Dare I ask how long it took you to get from Sepulveda to Fig, taking notes as you went?
Hi, ottonomy! How nice to hear from you! I've noticed that you've been editing around some of the same areas that I've been in.
I wasn't keeping track of the time, but I just realized that WAZE was! So I went back to my drives from that day & found out that it was an hour & 40 minutes. At the risk of losing any credibility I may have, I'll admit that it was fun! ;)
LaurieFox
Send a message

Post by Magic_Lamp
Do you have any idea where the new median starts and stops? I'll be in that area tonight or tomorrow and can drive it.
Magic_Lamp
Send a message

Post by ottonomy
I just have to say... WOW. That was a fantastic bit of research. Dare I ask how long it took you to get from Sepulveda to Fig, taking notes as you went? That's a trek, even when just plain driving it.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California