Wiki update for Illinois

Moderators: MapSir, TerryPurdue, SkiDooGuy, GizmoGuy411

Wiki update for Illinois

Postby jmp316 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:36 am

Hey All,

A few questions. Been looking in the wiki for some clarity on how to define a street as a Minor Highway vs. Primary Street. Couldn't find anything specific. There are a lot of roads marked Minor Highway near me that I feel have no business being labeled as such. Best practices?

Second, I've started to map a lot of parking lots lately to avoid false traffic jams. I like to make them nice, so they up nicely in the client. I am noticing a lot of existing lots are done sloppy and don't follow the wiki guidelines. Am I being too picky on mapping mine so nicely?

Finally, my biggest pet peeve in the client is cities labeled in the wrong location. I try to clean them up, but it is so hard to find all the incorrect segments without spending hours looking. Any tips? I recently added the Safari plugin Wazebar, and that's helped a ton, but it still a slow process...

Thanks everyone! BTW, I'd be willing to help out on some of the "to-do" list of Illinois projects to be completed, but don't have editing rights in some of the areas. If I'm willing, can I get temporary editing rights in these areas?
jmp316

Wiki update for Illinois

Postby Bigbear3764 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:20 pm

This is so awesome. I'm loving this for adding construction work. Once you got the template in, it is easy to add and change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager

Wiki update for Illinois

Postby ArlenBystander » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:55 am

bigbear3764 mentioned both here in the forums and in PMs we've been exchanging about wanting to up flesh out the Illinois mapping/editing wiki section. Having a bit of spare time and desire to dig into wiki construction, I got the ball rolling.

Here is the result. Take a look and let's discuss how to make it better.

Most of the layout and content ideas were gleaned from the Connecticut wiki. I did preserve much of the original page as a new page called Illinois Reference Information. It has redundant info on other pages so needs a bit of work but I didn't want to toss it all out just yet.

The following sections/pages contain mainly placeholder information (or 1-2 real examples) so still need a fair bit of work:
    Illinois Roads by Type
    Illinois Construction
    Illinois To Do

The Connecticut folks did a great job detailing guidelines for each landmark type. I made a few changes to reflect differences between states (e.g. we have tollways so need to decide what to do about toll booths, our DMV is the Secretary of State, etc.) but we need to discuss further.
ArlenBystander
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: Wiki update for Illinois

Postby DrockMiller » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:20 pm

I added a section to the To-Do list that may be helpful. Since Waze has said they will eventually add time-based turn restrictions to the editor I thought it would be helpful to have a list of those restrictions that we get from URs or know from experience. That way we can implement a lot of restrictions once the ability is finally added to the editor. You can go here to see the section I added.
DrockMiller
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ArlenBystander » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:37 am

jmp316 wrote:Hey All,

A few questions. Been looking in the wiki for some clarity on how to define a street as a Minor Highway vs. Primary Street. Couldn't find anything specific. There are a lot of roads marked Minor Highway near me that I feel have no business being labeled as such. Best practices?

My understanding is that the road type (Maj/Min Hwy, Primary Street, Street) is based on the Functional Classification maps published by IDOT. I haven't gotten into them in depth yet so can't say which road type on the maps relate to which Waze road type. I plan on checking them out when I have time so I can grab a few examples for the Wiki pages but don't have anything ready yet.

I will offer the following and hopefully someone else can confirm or correct me if I get it wrong:

Minor Hwys should be State or US Highways that don't qualify for Major Highway status. I would think most county roads/highways should be Primary Roads since they tend to connect multiple communities and/or are the major road from one end of town to the other. Some areas may have streets that aren't county roads but do handle a majority of traffic for the area so would be primary streets. In some areas, a county road/highway may qualify for elevation to Minor Hwy.

jmp316 wrote:Second, I've started to map a lot of parking lots lately to avoid false traffic jams. I like to make them nice, so they up nicely in the client. I am noticing a lot of existing lots are done sloppy and don't follow the wiki guidelines. Am I being too picky on mapping mine so nicely?

I don't see a problem with making things look good even if they are parking lot roads. I try to clean things up if I come across something that doesn't look right/good but haven't been seeking them out. Post a Permalink to a couple of examples and we can take a look.

jmp316 wrote:Finally, my biggest pet peeve in the client is cities labeled in the wrong location. I try to clean them up, but it is so hard to find all the incorrect segments without spending hours looking. Any tips? I recently added the Safari plugin Wazebar, and that's helped a ton, but it still a slow process...

The highlighter script helps with this but I think it only works with Chrome or Greasemonkey. I haven't checked to see if there's a GM extension for Safari or whether people have reported success using it other than in Chrome.

jmp316 wrote:Thanks everyone! BTW, I'd be willing to help out on some of the "to-do" list of Illinois projects to be completed, but don't have editing rights in some of the areas. If I'm willing, can I get temporary editing rights in these areas?

I'm not aware of any way to get temporary editing permissions other than driving the area. If you already have a bit of experience editing in the areas you've driven, you can request Area Manager status for an area. Here is info on how to become an AM. If you're starting out, don't request too large an area at once though or Waze may deny it.
ArlenBystander
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby KB_Steveo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:18 pm

dmiller1984 wrote:One thing I noticed in the landmarks section that I disagreed with was Camp Sites. I've marked camp sites as parks since only the major ones tend to have POI markers. A lot of camp sites are a part of parks anyway so they may already be marked that way. Any disagreements with that?
There is something in the works. This and this forum post seem to sum it up best (if you can get through the bickering). That thread is also where you should probably voice your concerns right now, before suggesting a list modifications for your state.
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Postby KB_Steveo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Another potential IL wiki (sub)topic to include:

How do you deal with Interstate Business Loops? (We don't have them in Wisconsin, so hopefully I can learn something from you.)

I ran into this. I had put up a UR because:
(1) All of the [green with white lettering] street signs call the road "6th St".
(2) For some reason "I- 55 Lp" parses a full interstate shield in the client (which is weird since (ex.) "I-55 S" on the actual interstate won't). This really looks odd and confusing when you see a shield on a brown road (using the map editor's color scheme)

Other questions:
(3) I had seen a forum post that Alan said to drop business loops (Interstate, US-Hwy, whatever) 1 level from the primary numbered highway, unless a greater drop is warranted.
(4) I know this one is location specific, but going along with (3), if I-55 Lp was in my area, It would definitely be upgraded to minor hwy at a minimum, and Stevenson would be Primary.
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Postby DrockMiller » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:33 pm

One thing I noticed in the landmarks section that I disagreed with was Camp Sites. I've marked camp sites as parks since only the major ones tend to have POI markers. A lot of camp sites are a part of parks anyway so they may already be marked that way. Any disagreements with that?
DrockMiller
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby failsafe » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:28 pm

bigbear3764 wrote:
ArlenBystander wrote:We can specifically mention the freight and El lines (and stations) as not mapped if we want. As I said in my other post, railroads don't show up in the client anyway (confirmed on my phone). We will inevitably keep getting URs about missing railroads regardless.

I'm for that, no El tracks or freight lines. Can you see downtown with El tracks mapped on the editor. It's a mess with the lower drives. :roll:

I agree no elevated tracks until and unless Waze at some point allowed us to display tracks on the editor as a separate layer. Then we could have the best of both worlds; not having to see them most of the time, but eliminate the errors of people running Waze when they shouldn't.

I have mapped some Amtrak sections along I-55 that have generated reports between here and Saint Louis.
failsafe

Postby KB_Steveo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 pm

ArlenBystander wrote:We'll have to discuss whether any changes are needed to the road types of the reversible lanes. I believe they are locked at L5 so any changes will need to be made by bigbear, mapcat, or other senior editors.

Re: Metra lines - I thought that was covered under the non-drivable roads section. I have mapped a few sections of Metra rails to deal with auto reports but haven't done much to do them all yet. I wouldn't be opposed to people mapping them as long as they get done correctly and are then reviewed (and eventually locked) by a high level editor. We need to make sure the rail segments don't connect to regular roads. Perhaps it's something to add to the To Do section.

Bear in mind that (I believe) railroads don't show up on the client so people can still complain they can't see them.

FWIW - I was thinking that only the entrance ramps would have to be mapped as PLot roads, that would allow all turns while still carrying the high routing penalty.

I must have skipped over the Metra part. I made it stand out a little more - let me know what you think. I would make it it's own sub-topic otherwise, just for better visibility for newer AM's. (that's what my technical writing experience tells me any way)
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Next

Return to Illinois