Post by DrockMiller
I added a section to the To-Do list that may be helpful. Since Waze has said they will eventually add time-based turn restrictions to the editor I thought it would be helpful to have a list of those restrictions that we get from URs or know from experience. That way we can implement a lot of restrictions once the ability is finally added to the editor. You can go here to see the section I added.
DrockMiller
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by failsafe
bigbear3764 wrote:
ArlenBystander wrote: We can specifically mention the freight and El lines (and stations) as not mapped if we want. As I said in my other post, railroads don't show up in the client anyway (confirmed on my phone). We will inevitably keep getting URs about missing railroads regardless.
I'm for that, no El tracks or freight lines. Can you see downtown with El tracks mapped on the editor. It's a mess with the lower drives. :roll:
I agree no elevated tracks until and unless Waze at some point allowed us to display tracks on the editor as a separate layer. Then we could have the best of both worlds; not having to see them most of the time, but eliminate the errors of people running Waze when they shouldn't.

I have mapped some Amtrak sections along I-55 that have generated reports between here and Saint Louis.
failsafe
Send a message
Former Area manager: Chicago Metro Area, Kenosha, and Saint Louis
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Colomb ... -A-E-4.gif

Post by jmp316
Hey All,

A few questions. Been looking in the wiki for some clarity on how to define a street as a Minor Highway vs. Primary Street. Couldn't find anything specific. There are a lot of roads marked Minor Highway near me that I feel have no business being labeled as such. Best practices?

Second, I've started to map a lot of parking lots lately to avoid false traffic jams. I like to make them nice, so they up nicely in the client. I am noticing a lot of existing lots are done sloppy and don't follow the wiki guidelines. Am I being too picky on mapping mine so nicely?

Finally, my biggest pet peeve in the client is cities labeled in the wrong location. I try to clean them up, but it is so hard to find all the incorrect segments without spending hours looking. Any tips? I recently added the Safari plugin Wazebar, and that's helped a ton, but it still a slow process...

Thanks everyone! BTW, I'd be willing to help out on some of the "to-do" list of Illinois projects to be completed, but don't have editing rights in some of the areas. If I'm willing, can I get temporary editing rights in these areas?
jmp316
Send a message

Post by KB_Steveo
ArlenBystander wrote:Let me know if you see anything wrong or can provide more info.

Also, info regarding mapping of Toll Booth and Train Station landmarks along with a section about Time Restricted Turns (including reversible roads) has been added/updated.
You have this:
Illlinois page wrote:Reversible travel roads such as the express lanes on the Kennedy Expressway in Chicago are mapped as a 2-way Freeway road with turns disabled at all entrance ramps in both directions. This will prevent Waze from routing traffic onto the express lane but will provide normal routing (dependent on GPS accuracy) once someone chooses to enter the reversible lane.
But Best editing practice says this:
Handling_Restricted_Lanes wrote:The best partial solution the community has come up with so far is to leave these segments' directionality as whatever their native would be. If it's a set of lanes which switch directionality at times, set it to 2-way. If it is always a 1-way, set it as such. In order to make it less likely that Waze will route anyone onto these express lanes, HOV lanes, etc., any ramps connecting these segments to regular freeway or street segments should be set as Parking Lot road type and turns onto the parking lot road segments and the freeway or highway segments are Disallowed.
Don't the disallowed turns cause automatic problem reports with the new problem report scripts? I.e. "waze said to go here, but most users went this other way" (I realize both your page and BEP say to do that - maybe something to keep an eye on?) I noticed that you still have the road types set as ramps, not p-lot roads though. (I was going to ask bigbear about that a while ago, but I forgot.)

Also, any plans of mentioning mapping/not mapping Metra lines? I've seen a couple forum posts about this topic. This isn't the one I was thinking of, but...
KB_Steveo
Send a message
images/ranks/BetaTester_Badge.png[img]https:///nRpy81[/img]
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator

Post by KB_Steveo
ArlenBystander wrote:I know they suppress taffic jams but a judicious set of PLot roads can do the same and keep the client view cleaner.
If only we could get Waze to make PLot roads smaller in the client, then the view would really be cleaner ;)
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by KB_Steveo
ArlenBystander wrote:We'll have to discuss whether any changes are needed to the road types of the reversible lanes. I believe they are locked at L5 so any changes will need to be made by bigbear, mapcat, or other senior editors.

Re: Metra lines - I thought that was covered under the non-drivable roads section. I have mapped a few sections of Metra rails to deal with auto reports but haven't done much to do them all yet. I wouldn't be opposed to people mapping them as long as they get done correctly and are then reviewed (and eventually locked) by a high level editor. We need to make sure the rail segments don't connect to regular roads. Perhaps it's something to add to the To Do section.

Bear in mind that (I believe) railroads don't show up on the client so people can still complain they can't see them.
FWIW - I was thinking that only the entrance ramps would have to be mapped as PLot roads, that would allow all turns while still carrying the high routing penalty.

I must have skipped over the Metra part. I made it stand out a little more - let me know what you think. I would make it it's own sub-topic otherwise, just for better visibility for newer AM's. (that's what my technical writing experience tells me any way)
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by KB_Steveo
Another potential IL wiki (sub)topic to include:

How do you deal with Interstate Business Loops? (We don't have them in Wisconsin, so hopefully I can learn something from you.)

I ran into this. I had put up a UR because:
(1) All of the [green with white lettering] street signs call the road "6th St".
(2) For some reason "I- 55 Lp" parses a full interstate shield in the client (which is weird since (ex.) "I-55 S" on the actual interstate won't). This really looks odd and confusing when you see a shield on a brown road (using the map editor's color scheme)

Other questions:
(3) I had seen a forum post that Alan said to drop business loops (Interstate, US-Hwy, whatever) 1 level from the primary numbered highway, unless a greater drop is warranted.
(4) I know this one is location specific, but going along with (3), if I-55 Lp was in my area, It would definitely be upgraded to minor hwy at a minimum, and Stevenson would be Primary.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by KB_Steveo
dmiller1984 wrote:One thing I noticed in the landmarks section that I disagreed with was Camp Sites. I've marked camp sites as parks since only the major ones tend to have POI markers. A lot of camp sites are a part of parks anyway so they may already be marked that way. Any disagreements with that?
There is something in the works. This and this forum post seem to sum it up best (if you can get through the bickering). That thread is also where you should probably voice your concerns right now, before suggesting a list modifications for your state.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager