Routes through JBER

Moderators: delilush, FzNk, TheChrisK, ply8808

Re: Routes through JBER

Postby dakster3628 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Makes sense - thanks.
dakster3628

Postby vectorspace » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:14 pm

Dakster3628 wrote:The question I have, is what if you have access to the base and want to get routed through the base?

I am also trying to fix some roads that Waze has incorrect on the base too. Some roads are way off and others exist but are not on waze. These are also wrong on my various car GPSs as well - so it isn't limited to just waze. At least here I can fix it.

Just getting the hang of map editing.

Yea, as DwarfLord mentions, use "add a stop." I use this all the time to stop for something on the way to work. You just navigate to the distant location, then add a stop within the base for your purpose. Picking the right place would be the trick!

I talked to Alanoftheburg and Txemt about this. It's a great discussion.

I think we should update the Private Installations wiki page with naming guidance that might come from this. The fact that JBER is a preferred city name means that we ought to name all the road segments with that city name and avoid using a large Area Place.

I was talking to txemt about this and his concern that some might search the full long name. I would say that local signage should dominate the way you mark roads, ramps, and Places such as gate names on Area Places over gates. Local preference would be valuable if you obtained URs that you needed to fix and address. I would say that adding Point Places with the full name of the base would be useful too, even with modifiers after the full name like "- visitor gate 1" or whatever.
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby vectorspace » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:20 pm

DwarfLord wrote:Oh, almost forgot to put in a plug for the Incorrect Edits wiki article. I'm not aware you've made any incorrect edits! But you may find it useful anyway. Even if you are already aware of the issues it covers, it is a handy link to send to other editors in your area.

Wow, that's a really good page. Thanks for doing it! I think this is a great basis for some additional training that we might work on. I was working on training in the past before I was distracted.

I wonder who is the senior editor that doesn't want Area Places deleted/changed?
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby DwarfLord » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:07 am

vectorspace wrote:Wow, that's a really good page. Thanks for doing it! I think this is a great basis for some additional training that we might work on. I was working on training in the past before I was distracted.

Thanks! I would like to think that it has not only helped new guide new editors, but has also prevented many unhappy PM conversations and saved advanced & senior editors a pile of time. Those were the goals anyway.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Previous

Return to Alaska