Functional Level Road Classifications

Post by akpolarbee
To coordinate with other areas of the country, and to remove as much subjectivity as possible from road classification, aligning the road class with the published DOT specifications seems to make the most sense.
The AKDOT information can be found here. Here's the types I'm using:

AKDOT classification --> Waze Classification
Interstate --> Freeway
Principal Arterial --> Major Highway
Minor Arterial --> Minor Highway
Major Collector --> Primary Street
Minor Collector --> Primary Street
Local --> Street
Unmarked --> Street

Waze indicates that Freeways need to be access controlled so that is the one place that I haven't been following AKDOT exactly since there's only part of the Seward and Glenn that are actually access controlled. :D All other AKDOT specified Interstates I have been marking as Major Highways.

I'd like input and suggestions if anyone has any. Thank you!
akpolarbee

POSTER_ID:16785731

Send a message

Post by akpolarbee
Thanks. :)
That seems to be approximately what I've been doing when looking at the final Locally maintained column which is pretty much what is applicable.

Tangentially, so many roads would be classified as Dirt/4x4 if all the dirt roads were actually listed as such. :)
akpolarbee
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
akpolarbee wrote:Tangentially, so many roads would be classified as Dirt/4x4 if all the dirt roads were actually listed as such. :)
The general rule for Dirt/4x4 depends on what locals expect that function to do. Here in Connecticut it covers all unpaved roads, but somewhere like Louisiana where there can be unpaved, but well maintained roads that serve a primary routes it is used differently.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
DwarfLord wrote:Up in Prudhoe I think there may be a total of 500 feet of asphalt (not counting the airport tarmac) out of probably hundreds of miles of road network. The rest is all gravel on tundra; but I didn't use the Dirt/4X4 type to map any of it. When all roads are dirt, no roads are dirt, if you know what I mean :)
Exactly. In this situation, reserve the "Dirt/4x4" type for roads that you can't drive a sedan on.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by DwarfLord
There is a standard US cross-reference wiki article, here:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_types/U ... _reference

I haven't encountered any problems with this in my own experience, except the counter-intuitive use of the word "highway" that most entry-level editors find utterly senseless. It is a continuing problem with new editors trying to drop "highway" types to "street" or "primary street" types, thus breaking the map, and of course nobody might discover it for a long time.

Well, there is another thing that has been a gotcha for me: the automatic elevation of all official "State Highways" to "minor highway" Waze type regardless of FC classification. Near me in California we have a State Highway that is actually a narrow mountain road, even one lane in spots. It grinds the gears to type it as mH. But I haven't noticed it causing any routing trouble and it looks better on the map to see the official state highways displayed.

Anyway, I'd recommend Alaska follow the standard US cross-reference.

(EDIT: I agree that if a road is not access-controlled it shouldn't be a freeway type)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Up in Prudhoe I think there may be a total of 500 feet of asphalt (not counting the airport tarmac) out of probably hundreds of miles of road network. The rest is all gravel on tundra; but I didn't use the Dirt/4X4 type to map any of it. When all roads are dirt, no roads are dirt, if you know what I mean :)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message