Road Classifications

Post by djurliv
Road classification is a somewhat subjective process. As I have worked on the Anchorage area map, I have noticed that we have changed each other's classifications in places.

To reduce duplication of effort, I suggest we all review the road classification scheme in the wiki: https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Legend

Use of primary streets is one specific issue I have observed. These are important for turn-by-turn instructions. Here's what the Road Types wiki page has to say about them:
Major roads or boulevards used to get across a neighborhood or city.
Usually given higher priority for right of way with traffic controls.
Primary streets may have less residential driveways.
A town’s “Main Street,” if it is not a highway, is typically a primary street.
In some regions “County Roads” are typically primary streets.
A primary designation is very relative to population and traffic densities. In the smallest rural town, a primary street may barely be wide enough for two cars heading opposite directions to pass each other. In dense urban areas primary streets may need to be a divided road with multiple lanes of traffic in each direction having traffic controls at every intersection.
Happy editing! David
djurliv

POSTER_ID:4166196

Send a message
David Johnson
SW Anchorage
djurliv@gmail.com

Post by kentsmith9
djurliv wrote:I have noticed that we have changed each other's classifications in places.
David, if you did not resolve the issue with the editor up in Anchorage, you might want to try to send a PM to the editor. Otherwise they may never see this message here.

I think your message is well put and it certainly helps when editors in the same area agree on the same settings. Good luck and happy editing to you too.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by skbun
I suggest you Alaska editors also check out this page, which...call it a 'hints' file for the important roads in any given area, along with the state's estimate of HOW important it is or what type it is!

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/stwdplng/fcl ... docs.shtml
skbun
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA

Post by Tarpon_907
I was looking for you, david, because I wanted to send you a message about some of the road classifications.

I've changed the classification of the Glenn up through about Eklutna to be a Freeway. I think it qualifies, based on the description of that road type at the link you posted. I was about to continue that classification up at least until the split of the Glenn and the Parks. The road is currently "Minor Highway", last edited by you in May. I was looking for you in order to send you a message before I reclassified the highways.

I see that cjd3 has done a lot of reclassification lately. Converting Bragaw, Boniface, Northern Lights, and others of the major streets in East Anchorage to Primary streets is something I had planned to do myself when I had the chance. I believe that those major streets deserved reclassification.

However, I think he downgraded 5th/6th street, Ingra, and Gambel which, as they are still "Hwy 1", and the main route between the Glenn and Seward highways, should at least be classified as minor highways.
Tarpon_907
Send a message