fixing Chugiak, Eagle River, Girdwood city names

Moderators: delilush, ply8808

fixing Chugiak, Eagle River, Girdwood city names

Postby MacroNav » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi all,

I've been somewhat frustrated by the City names visible in App in Anchorage & the Valley, and would like to coordinate work to update segments to the most appropriate city name, hopefully improving the City Layer Polygons and how they display. I don't like how the Anchorage polygon covers such a huge area outside the city proper, not useful for directions or displaying in App - but that may be beyond our control.

I think the first areas of concern are Eagle River, Girdwood, and Chugiak - towns within the Municipality of Anchorage with their own Zip codes and Post Offices utilizing the town name. Some streets are already named with these, so there are basic polygons, but most segments within their boundaries still say Anchorage.

The borders for these areas are pretty straightforward and included in Muni GIS.

I'd like to include Eklutna, maybe Peters Creek & Birchwood, as locals use these names, but these don't have their own zip code or PO. Down south, Indian and Bird Creek share a Zip Code, but are served out of the Girdwood PO (I think)

What do ya'll think about this, is it a noble and worthwhile project?
MacroNav
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: fixing Chugiak, Eagle River, Girdwood city names

Postby bac1022 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:54 pm

MacroNav,

We can do this if we have a map of the CDP's that would make up these. There are towns around here that do not get a name because they are not census areas. Do you have a resource that can be used for this?
bac1022

Postby FzNk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:45 pm

The issue when this decision was made is that those are all communities within the boundaries of the Municipality of Anchorage. Unlike with cities and CDPs, there are generally no hard boundaries that define where to divide one community from another. If you can find an official source that can provide us with usable boundaries, we may be able to change how the Anchorage area is mapped.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta
FzNk
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby flith » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:15 am

I think this is splitting hairs between what is a neighborhood vs a CDP vs an actual city. In my opinion following what the post office lists the zip code as is probably best followed by CDPs. However CDP and zip code cities conflict with each other and that is why I made the recommendation to remove Gateway from the MatSu in the past.

References would be the USPS and census.gov
flith
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby MacroNav » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:05 am

Thanks for the feedback - Alaska has some strange cases since it was never subdivided into counties like most states. The municipality of Anchorage is like a county that contains the communities I referenced above, in addition to the City of Anchorage within it. - Due to geographic boundaries including ocean, military installations, and mountainous state parkland, the "City" of Anchorage isn't going to expand beyond where it is now. To the North East is JBER, then Eagle River, followed by Chugiak, which are well defined by zip codes. The actual municipality is MUCH larger than this, and includes much of the state park land, which is not developable. The communities outside of the core city of Anchorage are not called Anchorage - they use the names I used above. Again, think in your head city anchorage vs. county anchorage.

However, since it's all within the municipality, there are not separate CDPs for these areas, and they do not get any more granular than the larger "county"

Anchorage GIS includes zip code layer to differentiate between the communities.
https://muniorg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we ... 6652852fec

The existing imported/drawn Anchorage polygon representing the entire municipality is not useful for waze users.
MacroNav
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby MacroNav » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:50 am

BTW, if it wasn't clear - the cities already exist and are in use in Waze on some segments. My proposal is to complete the assignment to all segments within the areas.

I understand that in some areas it can be confusing to make the determination between different areas. However in this case, the municipality publishes official addresses on the GIS system, so there is no confusion.
MacroNav
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby FzNk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:00 pm

The problem with the zip codes, like with most, is that they expand well beyond what we'd probably want to consider inside the cities. Would the boundaries in the Community Council maps properly represent them?
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta
FzNk
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby MacroNav » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:00 pm

In this case the zip codes do not expand well beyond the areas. As I said, oceans, and and mountainous state park land prevent prevent creep.

I considered the community council maps (also available in GIS here), but they are a little too complicated in my opinion, and aren't as ubiquitous as the address your mail is sent to, that you tell people you live at, that the city taxes you at.

This is absolutely not the case of living outside a community in a nebulous unincorporated region - it is the official name of the location from the presiding government.
MacroNav
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby MacroNav » Fri May 04, 2018 11:09 pm

Here are the official addresses from the Municipality of Anchorage. This includes the city names of Anchorage, Eagle River, Chugiak, Indian, and Girdwood. The presiding government dictates these names and provides the mapping demarcation. Therefore I will be applying these addresses to the primary names of segments and places within these areas. I also intend to update the wiki to reflect this.

Permanent Link Reference: https://maps.ancgis.com/AGOL_AddressOfficial

This map provides the general public and other interested parties Municipal address information.This map is the official addressing map used by the Municipality of Anchorage. This map contains the addresses for buildings that is used for the 911 system.

This product can be found in the Municipality of Anchorage Maps and Apps Gallery.
MacroNav
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby flith » Fri May 04, 2018 11:59 pm

With the exception of Indian those city names are already city names in Waze and will be easy to clean up. Personally, I wouldn't add Indian, but Anchorage's GIS does use it for addressing making it official unlike Eklutna, Peters Creek, and Birchwood. Based on that we need to add a few towns in the Kenai Borough. I think Voznesenka and Razdolna are in the Kenai GIS but are part of Fritz Creek if I remember correctly.
flith
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Alaska