Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

NC Standards

Post by HavanaDay
I think FrisbeeDog will agree but he can chime in here if I stated anything incorrectly:

I don't we do anything that much different right now from the wiki

Freeways - Interstates and highways with at grade rams (Parts of US HWY 264)
Major - US Highways
Minor - US Hwy Bus Routes, State Routes
Primary - Editors discretion but I usually try to make sure it is going somewhere (I.E. connects to a freeway major minor)

State Highway naming - For now I think we have settled on using State Highway XX (to get the shielding) and NC-XX for ramps and directions. Hopefully in the future we can get it to NC-XX and still get shielding and we can address it at that time.

Not sure if I miss anything, feel free to chime in.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager

POSTER_ID:723963

Send a message

Post by FrisbeeDog
Yeah, I agree with those mappings to road type with a few additions/things to look out for.

There are a few US highway alternates floating about the state (US Hwy 264 Alt in my area comes to mind). Those I designate as minor highways too.

I-85 Business around the Lexington and parts of I-95 Business through Fayetteville are just major highways because they have crossovers and other roads intersecting in addition to exits/on ramps.

For primary roads, I agree with editors discretion. I would say that primary roads should meet a couple of conditions: 1) they connect to something more than a regular street on both ends; and 2) they don't dead end.

One thing I've noticed on my recent quest to get US and NC highways named and coded right is that there are a ton of wrong highway names both in the base maps imported for Waze and in other online maps (Google and Bing). Most were at some time correct, but the highway route has moved (e.g., US 220 near Greensboro) or has been decommissioned (e.g., US Hwy 29 Alt through China Grove/Landis). It is important to check the NC DOT maps to get those corrected. Wikipedia is often surprisingly helpful as highway routes are well described with citations to verify the route.
FrisbeeDog
Send a message
Level 6 Editor
Country Manager: US
Area Manager: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Surrounding Areas of North Carolina

Post by FrisbeeDog
One other thing that we might want to think about a NC standard/suggestion for (and I think you had a post in another area about NC 24/27) are highways that have concurrences and don't have a local road name.

For example, US-15 and US-501 in my area. Everyone around here calls it US-15 501 ("US fifteen, five O one"), but we can't accommodate that currently if we want shields. In this instance, I named it "US Hwy 15" (it is the more major highway in the state as where there are exits, they are based on 15's mile markers) and have "US Hwy 501" as an alternate name.

The other option is to actually name the road something like "US Hwy 15 / 501" or "US Hwy 15-501".
FrisbeeDog
Send a message
Level 6 Editor
Area Manager: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Surrounding Areas of North Carolina

Post by FrisbeeDog
One more thing for editors to be aware of in NC is that roads that are named "Old US Hwy" or "Old State Hwy" should not be set as minor highways. The base maps, when imported, labeled these as minor highways and they should either be primary streets (very rarely) or regular streets (most of the time).
FrisbeeDog
Send a message
Level 6 Editor