End of Segment Junctions

Moderators: xanderb, crazycaveman

Re: End of Segment Junctions

Postby dmcconachie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm pretty sure waze have never actually confirmed if these are required on new, WME-created roads. The implication when we first migrated to the new editor was that they were implied and therefore not physically required. I have my doubts!
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status
dmcconachie

End of Segment Junctions

Postby FrisbeeDog » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:50 pm

I've noticed a lot of new dead end or cul-de-sac roads throughout NC are being added without end-of-segment junctions. The last I heard from Waze (a month or so ago) is that having a junction (blue dot) on the end of these segments is needed for proper routing out of the segment (routing into the segment isn't a problem since that is done by GPS points).

In the new editor (WME) it isn't very transparent to do this and I think this is probably why it isn't being done with frequency (old Cartouche has an "add junction" feature). These are the steps that I use in WME.

1) Create the dead end/cul-de-sac segment as usual (segment A).
2) Add another new segment (segment B) connected to the end of segment A.
3) Delete segment B.
4) You should now have an end junction on segment A (if not then try saving in between steps 2 and 3).

If anyone runs into any problems or needs further help, please let me know.
Level 6 Editor
Country Manager: US
Area Manager: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Surrounding Areas of North Carolina
FrisbeeDog

Postby golenny » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:44 pm

R4CLucky14 wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I'm pretty sure waze have never actually confirmed if these are required on new, WME-created roads. The implication when we first migrated to the new editor was that they were implied and therefore not physically required. I have my doubts!

They're needed. I "skipped" that part of the wiki (atleast I don't remember reading it). As a result, the dead-ends I first edited didn't have this. It wouldn't route properly from the segment ("Proceed to highlighted segment" or whatnot)....

I can confirm they are still needed. When I started editing, that part of the wiki wasn't there, as far as I can remember. So I didn't do it then, and got the "proceed to highlighted segment" on those roads. I fix them now from myself and other editors if I have time whenever I come across.
golenny

Postby HavanaDay » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Yes I believe they are still needed as I seem to come across the proceed to highlighted route every once in a while. I am afraid that in my younger editing days I probably just as guilty as anyone as to not putting the end segments in.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby R4CLucky14 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:27 pm

dmcconachie wrote:I'm pretty sure waze have never actually confirmed if these are required on new, WME-created roads. The implication when we first migrated to the new editor was that they were implied and therefore not physically required. I have my doubts!

They're needed. I "skipped" that part of the wiki (atleast I don't remember reading it). As a result, the dead-ends I first edited didn't have this. It wouldn't route properly from the segment ("Proceed to highlighted segment" or whatnot)....
Tennessee Editors, paritipate in our Wikipage

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon, Android 2.3.4.
R4CLucky14

Postby WeeeZer14 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:01 pm

A little helpful hint from a neighbor to the west:

If you have multiple dead end streets in the same area, you can draw segment B for the first court/deadend/cul de sac and then instead of deleting it, drag the end to the next dead end road. Then the next, then the next, until you have hit all of them. Then delete segment B once you are done.

This makes working on subdivisions much quicker.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[ img ]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14

Return to North Carolina