Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

3rd Street Tunnel Construction Project

Post by jr1982jr
So, there are dozens of URs coming up along Massachusetts NW, all the way from N Capitol over to 7th. These closures started on Sept 8, 2014 and will run through the end of 2016. The project has a website to detail the planned closures but from reading the press release, there will also be *As Needed* closures that are unscheduled.

To start, it appears that we need the following road closures submitted through 5/20/15 M-F 7am to midnight & Sat 8am to 6pm:
  • Mass Ave NW between 2nd and 5th
    H St NW between 2nd and 5th
    3rd St NW between H & K
Reading further on the website, it appears that the Mass Ave closure from 2nd to 4th is until 9/1/16 and may be all day.

We are currently in Phase II of the project (see below). And for those that don't want to comb through the site, I can summarize. IT IS A MESS!

Thanks,
Russ...

--
http://3rdsttunnel.com/traffic/
Fact sheet
Site camera -- Get a glimpse of the mess before you go there
--
  1. Phase I -- (June 10 – September 25, 2014) A new temporary traffic pattern will be put in place to allow crews to remove, relocate, and replace existing underground utilities along Mass Ave and H St, NW, between 3rd and 4th Streets. For the duration of Phase I, H St east and westbound
  • Phase II -- (September 25 – February 6, 2015) During Phase II, crews will advance their work at the intersection of 3rd and H Street, which will be closed temporarily during this phase, and both vehicular and pedestrian traffic will be detoured around the area. Traffic traveling south bound on 3rd street will
  • Phase III -- (February 6, 2015 – May 21, 2015) A new traffic pattern will reopen traffic to a new H Street alignment. Vehicles traveling westbound on H Street will be able to either continue westbound onto Mass Ave or continue southbound onto 3rd Street. For the duration of Phase III, H St
  • Phase IV -- (May 21, 2015) Similar traffic pattern to phase III of construction. No additional lane closures.
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

POSTER_ID:16990300

Send a message

Post by CBenson
I was all confused because Waze frequently routes me down Mass Ave in the evening rush and it has been open in both directions. If the time restrictions are M-F 7am to noon, then these might be accurate. I have frequently traveled Mass Ave during the evening rush since Nov. 17 and Mass has been open in both directions and H has been open westbound.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
If we can't rely on the DDOT information for scheduled closures, then we need to rely on users using the notoriously difficult to use app closure reporting.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Hmm, could be. I can't say for certain I've been through on Mon or Tues.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I can drive through Monday morning and Monday evening. But there is a chance I will forget to do it on my Monday morning drive. We can also look at the cameras that you linked to. They seem to give a current picture of the area.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
At 8:30 this morning, Mass Ave was open in both directions between NJ and 5th. H was open westbound in the same area.

(This morning on the traffic report on the radio that I listen to, the intersection of Mass and 4th was reported as having the traffic light out. It was flashing red in all directions when I went through. But the traffic reporter didn't seem to think it was unusual for Mass Ave to be open during the morning rush.)
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
There were plenty of workers in the area yesterday morning. But they certainly could have altered their tasks for the weather.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jr1982jr
I have no idea what is going on down there as I do not go there frequently. I only know that the URs are gathering all around that site. How do we handle this if the plan does not appear to be what is actually going on. They clearly are closing roads down there frequently.
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by jr1982jr
Ok, I just went back to look at the current phase and here is what it says:
Monday and Tuesday - 7 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Wednesday thru Friday - 7a.m to 3:30p.m; and Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
I guess it is possible I misread the date/times but...

Does this jive better with what you guys are seeing when you drive throught? Is Waze just taking you that way on W-F when it opens again at 3:30pm?
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by jr1982jr
I guess I am back to my original thought. Do we close the roads per the DDOT info and close the URs that way, as solved or close them as Not Identified w/ instructions on closing them from the app? I have a meeting Monday and cannot do it that day but I guess I could drive down there Tuesday evening if nobody else can do it earlier.
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message