Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

District Route Names

Post by CBenson
So what should DC use for "state" highways as discussed here. As there is only one - "DC-295," this shouldn't be a difficult decision. I've heard it called Anacostia Freeway, Kenilworth Ave, and 295. I'm not sure that I've really heard "route" or "highway" attached to the road. Seems that a display of "DC-295" and voice of "Dee See Two Ninety Five" would be best.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:1005502

Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Switching midstream hadn't occured to me, but that makes perfect sense. The current signs where the interstate peels off and crosses the river do use DC-295 shields as does the entrance from Penn Ave. The entrances from East Capitol St and Benning Rd do not. So your suggestion makes alot of sense.

However, I just want to confirm that when matching the DC-295 sign, we would prefer ultimately to use "DC-295" which would be displayed as "DC-295" or as "state" shield and pronounced "Dee See Two Ninety Five."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by gus911
If it was up to me, I would use "DC-295" for the stretch from the 11th St. Bridge to East Capitol St. and use Kenilworth Ave. from that point northward. I don't think it is very clear to drivers what happens to the Anacostia Freeway (especially northbound) at the point where the Interstate (whatever number they are using there this week) peels off and crosses the river.
gus911
Send a message
Area Manager Emeritus: Southern Maryland, USA
Samsung Galaxy S5 / Verizon Wireless / Android 4.4.4 / Waze 3.9.0

Post by gus911
Yes. DeeCee Two Ninety Five. No "highway", no "route", and definitely no "state" (although the statehood people would get a kick out of that).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
gus911
Send a message
Area Manager Emeritus: Southern Maryland, USA
Samsung Galaxy S5 / Verizon Wireless / Android 4.4.4 / Waze 3.9.0

Post by wpegues
haha, that's good for the states rights. Why not!!

I am not that familiar with the 295 area other than around the new US Coast Guard HQ which is one of my offices architectural projects. All I know is that with the past and continuing bridge reconstruction, getting there and back is great, and then the route changes!
wpegues
Send a message
Will
iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2
iPhone 4s, iOS 7.1.2
MacBookPro 15" Retina, Mountain Lion 10.9.4
Area Manager: Northern Virginia