Range of the DC Forum

Post by bmitch3020
So where do we cutoff DC in this forum? Do we stop at the border/Potomac, or is everyone in favor of allowing southern MD, northern VA in here, too?
bmitch3020

POSTER_ID:5048107

Send a message
Brandon
Northern Virginia Area Manager

Post by bmitch3020
I was actually surprised it didn't exist before considering how many users there are in the area. It's nice to hit "subscribe to forum" and easily keep up with what's happening in the area. And I like having a place to let other local AM's know about regional issues.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon
Northern Virginia Area Manager

Post by CBenson
I'm not sure why this sub-forum exists. It doesn't look to be overly used, so expanding the discussion to cover the metro area would make sense to me. Waze is really a commuting app and the DC bedroom footprint is pretty large.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Mike-1323
I've always thought that this forum covered the whole metro area and not just the region inside the political boundary. As such it includes the beltway around DC and the extended suburbs in my neck of the woods, northern Virginia as well as the Maryland suburbs (though MD has its own subforum).

I had a bit of a shock recently when I traveled out to Phoenix for a few days. Around here I generally get the 'there are x wazers near you' message with the number being in the 2000 - 4000 range. While out there I would get the message saying that there were 200-300 near me. Phoenix isn't exactly a small city so I was surprised at such a low number. I knew we had a large population of Wazers in the area, I just never realized just how many that really is and how that compares to other metropolitan areas. It just gives me more incentive to get the maps right.

This forum is (in my opinion) the right place to discuss local issues like the 495 express lanes and in the near future the I-95 HOT lanes.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by Mike-1323
wpegues wrote:I was out in Phoenix in September for a convention and noticed the same thing. Height of 'rush hour' was like midnight around here -grin! Not sure they have many editing either as there were a number of strange things as we took a bus tour, or as I rode in cabs back and forth to the convention center and the hotel. I made a few corrections to some of ones that I remember when I got home and it the streets showed up as editable.

I have always wondered what the radius used is for the number of users - or if it varies for different areas.
I dunno, a couple of the major highways that I traveled over (thankfully over and not on) were parking lots (possibly) worse than I-95 in Virginia. Entrance ramps were backed up ~ a mile from where they split from the connecting road. That's worse than I've seen around here except when there's an incident on the highway.

Waze win: While there Waze took me a roundabout way to my destination that I (or my old gps) wouldn't have selected. Near the end of the trip I crossed over the highway that I would have taken and it was a parking lot for as far as I could see. It made me very glad to have Waze. Probably saved me well over half an hour of sitting in traffic. :D
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by wpegues
I agree, and I think we will find that there are a ton of Wazers, as well as regular editors that may live in the surrounding area but commute to DC every work day. I live in Reston, but I work downtown at Connecticut and L. My wife works at National Geographic. And I go way back to the 60s when I lived near Shirlington and went to high school downtown every day. Could really have used Waze back then!!
wpegues
Send a message
Will
iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2
iPhone 4s, iOS 7.1.2
MacBookPro 15" Retina, Mountain Lion 10.9.4
Area Manager: Northern Virginia

Post by wpegues
I was out in Phoenix in September for a convention and noticed the same thing. Height of 'rush hour' was like midnight around here -grin! Not sure they have many editing either as there were a number of strange things as we took a bus tour, or as I rode in cabs back and forth to the convention center and the hotel. I made a few corrections to some of ones that I remember when I got home and it the streets showed up as editable.

I have always wondered what the radius used is for the number of users - or if it varies for different areas.
wpegues
Send a message
Will
iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2
iPhone 4s, iOS 7.1.2
MacBookPro 15" Retina, Mountain Lion 10.9.4
Area Manager: Northern Virginia