Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Traffic circles: proposed Wiki update

Post by russblau
After discussions with Dave, I am proposing the following addition to the DC Wiki page regarding our city's infamous traffic circles:
=== Traffic circles ===

Washington, D.C. has a large number of traffic circles. Most of the circles are named, and (unlike most roundabouts and rotaries in other jurisdictions) these names typically appear on street signs at the intersections between the circle and the connecting streets/avenues. Some circles even have assigned street addresses. Also, some circles have non-standard configurations that include overpasses, underpasses, and/or streets passing through the center of the circle. Because of these situations, D.C. deviates from the [[Roundabouts/USA|usual Waze editing rules for roundabouts]] in the following respects:
# If the circle has posted street signs, then the road segments of the circle should be assigned this name in WME, and not left un-named. If there are no street signs, check the "No name" box. If there are street signs but they name the connecting streets rather than the circle, name the segments so that turn instructions given to drivers will match what is on the street signs.
# If the circle has any interior intersections (that is, a street or avenue that crosses through the circle and intersects at ground level with the circle), then do ''not'' use the Waze roundabout type for the road segments; these circles should be converted to ordinary street/highway segments. You should still follow the guidance at [[Roundabouts/USA#Road type]] in deciding what type of segments to use, even for this kind of circle.
Please post any comments or suggestions in this thread. If this proposal meets with consensus, it will be added to the Wiki in a week or so.

Russ
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:11539915

Send a message

Post by CBenson
I was trying to remember why we don't name roundabouts and can't come with the answer anymore.

I think the guidance is a good idea. The only question I have is whether you could go further and have any circle with traffic control devices (like traffic lights and stop signs) use ordinary street/highway segments.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by russblau
This change has been made in the wiki. As for Carl's last comment, if others agree, I'm fine with that change as well.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message