How to // DC Speed Trap

Post by PoochyDogg
I'm sorry if this is not in the correct forum. I don't know how to do what I need to have done here, but I am entirely willing to learn.

We were in DC @ Thanksgiving, and Waze took us through an unmarked speed trap - twice - that is evidently well known - but NOT marked as such on our map. There are cameras on that particular street, but NOT at the point where the culprit camera box (not at a red light) is located. AND it is a 25 mph zone - under a tunnel, no less - where the ticket is $150 and up!!! And we got TWO of them that day.

Is there any way to totally eliminate this route from Waze? So that Waze does not suggest going into that trap at all? At least on my own app, if not for the whole system? This is DC's favorite money-making speed trap, and they purposely go after tourists and others who don't know the area to take their money. They made over $8 million on this a few years back.

Just because they use it that way, it needs to be gone. Or put flashing red lights on our maps or something.

Thanks -

PD
PoochyDogg

POSTER_ID:8690604

Send a message

Post by Nimbus-
Hi PoochyDogg!

You're in the correct location, no worries on that. Sorry about your troubles though :(

The thing with DC and surrounding jurisdictions in MD, is that sometimes the cameras get moved around a bit. Very much so because drivers get accustomed to the locations of existing ones; highlighted in this news article. As such, we're heavily reliant on our community of Wazers and editors in determining the accurate location of where cameras are installed.

Cameras themselves aren't taken into consideration for planning a route, but instead other criteria such as: current traffic volume, historical data, route preferences and speed limits etc... With any given route with Waze, you are provided with 3 optimized routes to take or you have the option of deviating from the route and having the app re-calculate a new one for you.

Now, having said all of that, if you do find a camera that is not listed within the map, you can go to the Waze Map Editor (WME) and add it yourself at: https://www.waze.com/editor/

Do know that it traditionally takes a day or two before appearing via the app and that you can only edit cameras that are at your current editing rank.
Nimbus-
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message