Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

New "semi-public" road designation

Post by ChiskyRock
Hi all,

First - I do understand that this is an odd request for guidance, but I am hoping this community can help identify an appropriate way of handling this.
As background, I work with a federal official who is considering authorizing the construction of a short road that would connect two highways in the Washington D.C. area. For various reasons it would need to be a public road but the official was wondering if it can be designated in some way to reduce or eliminate routing on it. Heavy or even normal city traffic on this road would defeat it's purpose.

The question is then, can we apply some type of designation or routing penalty to this road to prevent the routing algorithm from sending Wazers though this area while keeping it public?

Again, I get that this is an odd request, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
ChiskyRock

POSTER_ID:14768370

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
You could also use a lower public road type or a disfavored routing preference. It would be best to ask local editors about best practice, as Juan implied. A number of the editors in the DC area have experience mapping private, military and government installations and could probably figure out a good solution for allowing only the right kinds of routes

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by ChiskyRock
Thanks for the excellent and speedy response.

One more follow-up question. What would be the best way to connect with the local editors of the area where the road is anticipated to be built? I know I can look them up on the map itself, but is that the best way?
ChiskyRock
Send a message

Post by ct13
VA editor chiming in here. If a road is a public road with no signage restricting use Waze will use this road if it is faster than the alternative depending on various situations. Road type is based upon federal classification and rarely do we make exceptions. I would refer you to the intersection in Opal, VA where VDOT suggests that users take their new ramp, but they never posted legal signage preventing drivers headed south from turning left onto Marsh Rd to get to 17. Long winded way of saying that most often we map what is legal and let waze sort out the routing. We would not make it private unless it is truly private and changing the routing preference or type would only serve to minimize its use in long distance routing. Also, another thing to consider is that if Waze doesn't use it, there is little to stop the other mapping services from using it.

However, if you don't mind posting the proposed location or sending it in a private message to me or one of the DC state managers, russblau and Nimbus- , we might be able to give you a better answer. Also, any more details about this would be helpful.
ct13
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by juankx
ChiskyRock wrote:The question is then, can we apply some type of designation or routing penalty to this road to prevent the routing algorithm from sending Wazers though this area while keeping it public?
Would you want this road to be excluded from normal routing for all wazers? Why you can't use the Private Road category?

However, if its a public road and the only reason to put it on the map as private is because an authority ask for it then you should add a map comment to prevent other editor change it back to public road. Also, local editing best practices could apply.
juankx
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by juankx
Moving this post here for local assistance...
ChiskyRock wrote:One more follow-up question. What would be the best way to connect with the local editors of the area where the road is anticipated to be built? I know I can look them up on the map itself, but is that the best way?
I moved this post to the local forum of District of Columbia. Here you can connect with the local editors of the area.
juankx
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by ply8808
ChiskyRock wrote:Thanks for the excellent and speedy response.

One more follow-up question. What would be the best way to connect with the local editors of the area where the road is anticipated to be built? I know I can look them up on the map itself, but is that the best way?
Greetings ChiskyRock,
The regional State Managers have been alerted and you should get a response fairly soon.
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
HD riding wazer, Arizona.
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by russblau
Hi ChiskyRock,

I agree with what ct13 posted above, but it would certainly be helpful to have a better understanding about what kind of road you are talking about and why it would be considered disadvantageous to have Waze users routed over it. You can contact me by private message if you don't want to advertise this information publicly. (Also, if this proposed road is in one of the DC suburbs, you might want to notify the state managers in the relevant state.)

Russ
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message