Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

395 HOV lanes

Post by CBenson
As the VA editors have made the entirety of the HOV lanes in VA parking lot roads to accommodate the reversible portion of the lanes, it would seem to make sense to carry this forward over the 14th St Bridge. Is there any reason not make all of the 395 HOV lanes parking lot segments?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:1005502

Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by bmitch3020
Makes sense to me, though I thought the old rule was to make the entrance ramps "parking lot" segments and leave the exit ramps and interstate segments alone, but that's probably not necessary after the routing changes they made for parking lot segments.

While we're on the 395 topic, this UR is from me. On a prior drive, I went through without any navigation directions to stay left to exit 1A. I'm not sure if Waze gives navigation directions if we make a sharp enough turn on the interstate (I remember past discussions about this). But in this specific case, a ramp makes sense for the highlighted segment.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon
Northern Virginia Area Manager

Post by bmitch3020
Mike-1323 wrote:
bmitch3020 wrote:While we're on the 395 topic, this UR is from me. On a prior drive, I went through without any navigation directions to stay left to exit 1A. I'm not sure if Waze gives navigation directions if we make a sharp enough turn on the interstate (I remember past discussions about this). But in this specific case, a ramp makes sense for the highlighted segment.
I have considered changing some of the ramps that connect 95/495/395 into freeway segments. The reasons that I haven't is that things seem to work pretty well now, the interchange is supremely complicated, and new interconnects were still being built. The last reason has been overcome by time as I think all the new HOV ramps are complete and open now. The other reasons I can only blame on my own laziness. I just wish that Waze had a 'keep straight on . . . ' prompt. Most of those splits aren't a left/right split but a straight/right or left/straight split. If others think it is a good idea I'm all for changing them.
If you get complaints, then I don't see a reason to not change them all into ramps, a few extra navigation directions in there wouldn't hurt. But, like you, I held my breath when I last worked on that part of the map. Too many wazers go through there to want to risk screwing things up.

The only reason I suggest changing the one segment is because it's junctioned with another ramp, and I think Waze uses that to ignore giving directions when the interstate name changed from 395S to Exit 1a. When I travel from 95N into the mixing bowl and take the 495 N to Tyson's exit, I'm pretty sure it gives me directions. I'm guessing that's due to the other option also being an interstate and both segments change names from the prior 95N segment. So what I think we need to worry about are any forks where one segment is a ramp, and the other is the interstate that needs some navigation instructions.
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by bmitch3020
Mike-1323 wrote:So I changed these three segments to Freeway. That should prompt a keep left/right at the two splits.

According to the Wiki and personal experience there should now be a prompt for each of the exits 1A-D starting back before the first split. Does that seem about right to you?
That looks right to me. I've been taking 395S to Tysons (exit 1D) a lot lately, so if the navigation breaks, I'll let you know. Thanks Mike!
bmitch3020
Send a message
Brandon

Post by CBenson
I agree the old rules are somewhat obsolete after the change to how parking lot segments are penalized.

As for the mixing bowl exit instructions, I haven't driven that far into Virginia in quite some time, so I can't see the UR. If you make that segment a ramp, I believe that you will get a "keep/stay left" instruction for Exit 1A and an "exit right" instruction for Exit 1B, which seem appropriate to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
bmitch3020 wrote:So what I think we need to worry about are any forks where one segment is a ramp, and the other is the interstate that needs some navigation instructions.
I will just say that in my experience (as confirmed by the junction style guide) this is correct. Waze sees these as normal exits (regardless of whether the freeway changes name or not) and only gives the exit instruction if routing over the ramp. As far as what specifically needs to be changed, I will leave that up to you and Mike.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Mike-1323 wrote:Since it is parking lot at either end of the bridge I assume it would be appropriate to have the segments on the bridge itself also be parking lot type.
Could you change this one?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Thanks.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Mike-1323
Since it is parking lot at either end of the bridge I assume it would be appropriate to have the segments on the bridge itself also be parking lot type.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by Mike-1323
bmitch3020 wrote:Makes sense to me, though I thought the old rule was to make the entrance ramps "parking lot" segments and leave the exit ramps and interstate segments alone, but that's probably not necessary after the routing changes they made for parking lot segments.
I remember it being that way at one point as well. However, according to the wiki:
Wiki wrote:Although currently Waze does not support the requirements of routing over these types of lanes, there are plans to add support for them in the future.

As an interim measure, these lanes should be added to the map as separate roads, with the road type as Parking Lot Roads. This means that if you are not currently in one of these lanes the routing will avoid it, but if you choose to get into the lane, the routing will work correctly.
So they're on the map as parking lot segments. There seems to be fewer UR's being generated around them than in the past. I don't know if that's due to map editing or people just getting used to haw Waze works.

bmitch3020 wrote:While we're on the 395 topic, this UR is from me. On a prior drive, I went through without any navigation directions to stay left to exit 1A. I'm not sure if Waze gives navigation directions if we make a sharp enough turn on the interstate (I remember past discussions about this). But in this specific case, a ramp makes sense for the highlighted segment.
I have considered changing some of the ramps that connect 95/495/395 into freeway segments. The reasons that I haven't is that things seem to work pretty well now, the interchange is supremely complicated, and new interconnects were still being built. The last reason has been overcome by time as I think all the new HOV ramps are complete and open now. The other reasons I can only blame on my own laziness. I just wish that Waze had a 'keep straight on . . . ' prompt. Most of those splits aren't a left/right split but a straight/right or left/straight split. If others think it is a good idea I'm all for changing them.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types